Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Misty Harbour  (Read 1047 times)

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
Misty Harbour
« on: January 22, 2014, 02:00:46 pm »

I am keen to know what you think of this...

Thanks
William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Misty Harbour
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 02:08:52 pm »

I do not see a role for the foreground. As a panorama (the upper third) it would work rather well, though.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 02:13:45 pm »

I first thought there is a problem with the rock in the lower left.
Its not affected by the fog and very clear, which takes away from the atmosphere.
I tried cropping it out and also cropped away the cars, but this costed real estate on the ships.
Then the problem appeared the image became unbalanced and drifted to the open waters at the left.
So I cropped a little there.
In the end I cropped just above the rock, left of the leftmost ship and right of the rightmost (green) boat, leaving some cars visible.
Halfway content but not fully I converted to b/w, raised contrast a little and took care everything stays in the high key area.
Then I brought back the rock a little and finally was mostly content.

To sum it up:
Nice foggy atmosphere with some possibilities to optimize.

Cheers
~Chris

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 10:08:17 am »

My initial reaction is that this is a scene that deserves working from different vantage points. The ambiance of the boats and mist are very intriguing, but for some reason, I felt a lot of tension between the boats and the cars. I don't think the f/g helps in this case. Color-wise, I like it very much; nice soft rendering.

davidh202

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 10:14:59 pm »

I fully agree with Slobodan,
It works quite well as a pano of the top 1/3, cropped right below the red bouy
I don't mind the vehicles, as they balance the rows of boats on the left hand side

David

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 02:28:51 am »

I think the shelf at the bottom provides a good lead-in shape to the boats in the background, but the bits of kelp sticking above the water distract the eye on the way into the scene - like having something so short you trip on it as you pass by.  I'd clone those out as well as the three floats in the water - one back left and two on the right and revisit it.  Something like this 30-second edit.

Mike.

If your mind is attuned t

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 01:01:28 pm »

Thanks to everyone who took the time!

Mike, I think you did the trick there - it works for me. Thank you.

Regards
William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 03:36:15 pm »

In most ways this is textbook but it took me a few minutes to see what was bothering me.  I love the view, I enjoy sea scenes of all types.  The far view is excellent, my eyes yearn for more contrast to see more details, exactly as it was I'm sure.  I can feel the walk way under my feet as I lean across the rail steadying my camera.  And normally I'm a fan of anchor points and legends of scale. but this is just too much and that's what's bothering me.  Anchors and legends are usually much smaller or they dominate.  Here neither.  Either I'd want to reduce the incidence of the angle or perhaps make it more oblique in some way.    Either way they're minor nits, very nice image.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up