Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is 5DM3-Magic-Lantern video always soft?  (Read 6679 times)

adrjork

Is 5DM3-Magic-Lantern video always soft?
« on: January 22, 2014, 11:20:17 am »

In THIS old review we see the softness of the 5DM3 out of the box.
Now, with Magic Lantern, the 5DM3 is able to get 14bit-RAW! But my question is: the softness remains, isn't it?

Does exist anything able to shot RAW-video, whitout the softness issue, and able to shot also reflex-level stills?

Thanks

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Re: Is 5DM3-Magic-Lantern video always soft?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 12:35:20 pm »

I think the ML running 5dmk3 basically produces stair stepped video as it is only using 1/4 (or less?) of the pixels on the sensor - so the video is soft.

So no stills cameras shoot nice raw video

So do any raw shooting motion cameras produce a nice still? not really in a practical manner

A 4k raw shooter Red or Sony F55 might produce an acceptable still file but the cost and mass of such cameras is so high that you would be better off adding a cheap DSLR for shooting stills.

The only cross-over I see is the investment in glass - the right selection can be used for stills or video.

IMO

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

adrjork

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 01:02:37 pm »

So no stills cameras shoot nice raw video
Ok, and without RAW? Any camera that shoots both good stills and NON-raw video? GH3? (next GH4K???) Something else?

Thanks

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 04:40:07 am »

Personally I find sound to be so integral to my video work Ive kind of dropped my eye off the ball for cross over cams.

I guess 5dmk3 is an excellent stills cam with adequate video, the GH3 is an adequate stills cam with quite good video (but no ND or sound)

Sony make a few cameras shaped like video cameras Sony "EA50" apparently these take stills but I cant imaging shooting a stills job on one!

Incedentally the EA50 video is not too good.. because it is line skipping from the higher stills resolution.

I only think we will have a proper cross over camera when the nikon D5 or canon equiv. simply shoot at 25 frames per second (raw normal stills!)

Oh.. one other option the Canon1dc does 4k video and good stills, personally I think it is over priced and with a mini HDMI, no sound and no ND just poorly conceived.

If you had an C100 and a 5d mk2 or eve mk1 you would probably be in a better position!

Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 01:11:17 am »

Hi,

Line skipping is obviously bad, and most DSLRs do that for motion.

The right way to do this is to sample the full image and doing correct downsampling to 1080P or whatever. Needs lots of computing power.

The Sony RX10 is said to do this. Panasonic? I don't know.

Cameras intended for motion have OLP filtering corresponding to the needed resolution, but the OLP filtering needed for 1080P would make high resolved stills extremely fuzzy.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

addled

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 06:53:54 am »

Magic Lantern RAW video is a different world to the standard out-of -camera video. The sharpness is hugely improved.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 03:07:41 am »

Even the normal firmware 5DIII video is soft. Both Adobe PRemiere and Final cut sharpen well in post, if you wanted a sharper video like image. This is using good lenses, not at all the fault of the glass.

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 03:37:50 am »

In THIS old review we see the softness of the 5DM3 out of the box.
Now, with Magic Lantern, the 5DM3 is able to get 14bit-RAW! But my question is: the softness remains, isn't it?

Does exist anything able to shot RAW-video, whitout the softness issue, and able to shot also reflex-level stills?

Thanks

The 'softness' actually looks great blown up on a multiplex screen, similar to projected 35mm film (1K).

Like Morgan said, the only camera I know of that can do great for stills and RAW video is the Red Epic Dragon. The only thing that comes close (but no RAW video) is the Canon 1DC.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 04:19:44 pm »

But wouldn't you expect raw footage to look soft, as it is well raw?
Raw stills are also soft until sharpened appropriately.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: [1]   Go Up