Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PS CC using wrong monitor profile...  (Read 1763 times)

Etrsi_645

PS CC using wrong monitor profile...
« on: January 21, 2014, 11:05:26 pm »

I just bought the i1 Display Pro.  Got both monitors profiled.  PS CC is using the profile from monitor 1 whereas PS CC opens onto monitor 2.  I thought PS used the monitor profile from the monitor it opens upon?

thanks,

Pentax K-5 with lenses: DA* 16-50 f/2.8,

D Fosse

Re: PS CC using wrong monitor profile...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 01:15:11 am »

That's the way it's supposed to work, yes. But it gets those profiles from the OS, so if it's the wrong one it's most likely an OS problem.

What happens if you keep the app frame on 1, and drag an image over? It should "snap" when you drop it.

Edit: where are you confirming the profile? Under Color Settings > Monitor RGB? I'm currently using a single monitor setup so I can't check, but I think it just lists the primary profile there in either case.

I have a very useful little app called "DisplayProfile.exe" once made by x-rite. It shows the active profile for whichever screen it's open on. I tried to find it again, but apparently that filename has subsequently been hijacked by some malware, and x-rite doesn't have it on their site anymore. Too bad.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 04:00:33 am by D Fosse »

jrsforums

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 05:13:46 am »

I just bought the i1 Display Pro.  Got both monitors profiled.  PS CC is using the profile from monitor 1 whereas PS CC opens onto monitor 2.  I thought PS used the monitor profile from the monitor it opens upon?

thanks,

What OS?  Dual head card or separate cards?

I have never gotten windows to work properly without 2 separate cards...one for each monitor.
John

D Fosse

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 05:22:07 am »

There is no need for separate cards. Windows has no problem loading separate profiles (as long as the card itself supports it, and they all do now).

If you can't get it to work with a single card there's some other problem.

D Fosse

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 07:00:44 am »

And to be precise, the profile that Photoshop uses (which is the OP's concern) is not the same thing as the video card LUT (if there is any). The LUT just happens to be stored in the profile because it's a convenient place to keep it. But functionally they're different and separate.

So, Photoshop gets the profile(s) from the OS and uses that. It doesn't care about the calibration LUT(s).

The LUT loader fetches the LUT from inside the profile and loads it into the video card. But with a hardware calibrated monitor there is no video LUT, it's set internally in the monitor (which is a much better way to do it). So then the video card has nothing to do with it.

Just wanted to get the concepts and terminology correct.

Etrsi_645

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 10:51:53 am »

Here is my video card, dual head card.  OS is Windows 7 Home Premium.  I am seeing the PS CC info under Edit/Color Setting/Working Spaces RGB pulldown for Monitor RGB
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:54:16 am by Etrsi_645 »

Simon Garrett

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 12:25:07 pm »

Here is my video card, dual head card.  OS is Windows 7 Home Premium.  I am seeing the PS CC info under Edit/Color Setting/Working Spaces RGB pulldown for Monitor RGB

It will only report the one monitor space, but how do know what it's actually using?  Or are you using Monitor RGB as working space?

If so, you shouldn't be! You should set working space to one of the standard, device-independent colour spaces - typically ProPhoto RGB, Adobe RGB or sRGB. 

Photoshop will pick up the colour space of the monitor(s) from Windows.  I've just tried it, and from a quick test (moving Photoshop from one window to another) it appears that it's correctly picking up the profile for the monitor on which Photoshop is displaying. 

Etrsi_645

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 12:55:42 pm »

I am using Prophoto RGB, but when you click the down arrow it shows the monitor working space that PS is using..and it's always my number 1 monitor which is now ok because I just replaced that monitor with a new IPS one..
Pages: [1]   Go Up