Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buy a USED Lens??  (Read 2856 times)

ron ritcher

Buy a USED Lens??
« on: January 21, 2014, 08:35:53 pm »

Your advice will be appreciated.  I have the A7r, am using a couple Canon L zooms, and so far am very pleased.  That said, I am eager to get into native lenses, and both the 55 and 35 have gotten enough praise to convince me to take the plunge.

Just saw that B&H (where I get everything) has both in their used dept.  Would save 15% over new pricing, but am hesitant.  Even though I have never gotten a "bad sample" lens, I know they are out there.  Would a reputable dealer simply put a returned lens back out for sale if it were returned for perceived optical defects?  Is this more of a gamble than just sucking-up and paying retail?

Thanks for chiming-in . . .

Ron

mhospelt

• Michael Hospelt Photography
Re: Buy a USED Lens??
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 09:55:07 pm »

buy it , test it, and when there are issues you send it backā€¦..that simple!

ron ritcher

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 10:07:57 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I knew full-well that answer would top the list (and it's obviously very reasonable!), BUT I'd just-as-soon not diddle around for a couple months.  To put a finer point on my question, if I return a lens to Retailer A, with complaints of optical issues that tend to suggest a poor sample rather than a limitation inherent with the model, is that business likely to push it off on another customer OR return it to the manufacturer as defective?

I trust B&H a ton, and am not worried that I'll have to eat a lemon, but like most of us, I'd like to save a buck -- and do it quickly  ;D

Ron

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 07:21:32 am »

Of course there's a non-zero chance that a new lens won't be up to normal standards, too, but my guess would be that the chances are slightly higher with a used lens. Nothing against B&H, I would expect this from any dealer. As long as there is a return policy, you're good.

I've bought used lenses my whole career, and they've almost always been fine.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 08:50:43 am »

Of course there's a non-zero chance that a new lens won't be up to normal standards, too, but my guess would be that the chances are slightly higher with a used lens. Nothing against B&H, I would expect this from any dealer. As long as there is a return policy, you're good.

I've bought used lenses my whole career, and they've almost always been fine.

I never bought used when I was in business. I have, since, bought three used Nikkors and am happy with them all. But that was from a well-established shop in London, and there are benefits to that route denied you in others. Having said which, it was the departure of my nearest pro outlet/wholesaler here in Mallorca that pushed me into used stuff. (With reference to another thread: shows how the economy is 'improving'...)

I doubt that I'd buy privately - you run into the problem of 'expectations' and possible loss of friends you may value retaining.

Rob C

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 09:56:11 am »

I have bought almost all my Nikkor lenses second-hand from private sellers on eBay and have never been disappointed.

That includes "legacy" lenses such as the AI-S 600mm f/4 for about 5% of the cost of a new equivalent and many current lenses such as my 14-24mm, 24-70mm f/2.8 zooms and 105mm, 20mm, 50mm and 85mm primes. Also a Sigma 150-500mm and a Sigma 8mm fisheye.

The one that I did buy new was the 70-200mm f/2.8 because I wanted the VRII version almost as soon as it came out.

Interestingly, apart from getting superb quality lenses greatly below discounted retail prices, I seem to have got good examples. I have never had to fine tune any of them on either my D800 or D800E.

Using eBay was particularly useful a few years ago when I switched from a D300 to a D3s and had to sell my 17-55mm DX and Sigma 10-20mm lenses and replace them with FX glass.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 09:57:47 am by PhotoEcosse »
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

NancyP

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 01:43:59 pm »

Consider buying manufacturer refurbished lens if used bothers you. Test it yourself. B and H undoubtedly has a flock of lenses returned for real issues and a second flock of lenses returned for cold feet, imagined or camera body specific issues (poor match to a camera without microadjustment), or can't use the thing.

I have a few favorites that I bought used locally. My local dealer allows 1 week for testing. Even the new lenses I take out in the store's parking lot, quickly shoot brick walls and other cars, into the sun, close-ups, whatever, bring lens inside, note its serial number, and tell the sales person that I will review the photos and call the next morning to buy or not buy the lens. That has worked out well for third-party lenses.

I would consider buying a used lens from LensAuthority.com, Dr. Lens Rental Roger Cicala's sales site. The lenses have been retired from rentals after 1 to 2 years, whatever their mileage, and tested optically, mechanics checked, and graded. I'd buy primes this way in a New York minute. I'd consider buying zooms, too. They do have a warranty. It may be like buying a used taxi, but at least it is a used taxi that has been thoroughly inspected and tweaked.

I have also bought off eBay, one excellent M42 lens, one less than ideal Nikkor (it had an ugly exterior, fine, that was why it was cheaper, but it also had lost much of the helicoid grease, so it feels too loose and without damping, not the proper feel for an all manual lens. Optics are up to spec. It is usable.)

ron ritcher

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 09:47:07 pm »

Thanks All,

Your opinions and anecdotal-insights are greatly appreciated!  That said, the 2 lenses I spied yesterday in B&H's Used Dept. had both been sold by the time I could pull the trigger this morning.

However, your sharing may prove very valuable in the future . . .

Ron

scooby70

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 07:37:02 am »

AFAIK with these lenses you shouldn't get the front/back focus issue you get with DSLR lenses, so that's one less thing to worry about.

Herbc

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 10:54:03 am »

Have been buying from B&H for decades-they are solid gold when it comes to customer satisfaction.  The only time I don't use them is when selling something- they don't pay much.
I would have no hesitation buying used from them.

Greg D

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 01:53:00 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply.

To put a finer point on my question, if I return a lens to Retailer A, with complaints of optical issues that tend to suggest a poor sample rather than a limitation inherent with the model, is that business likely to push it off on another customer OR return it to the manufacturer as defective?

Ron

I'd be willing to bet that in the case of most (certainly not all, but most) lenses returned for "perceived optical defects" the key word is "perceived".  But just because a lens appears in B&H's used section, that doesn't mean that anybody thought there was anything wrong with it.  It may just not have been suitable for the first owner, or may have been purchased for a particular use if the lens wasn't available for renting.  But aside from that, my personal experience with B&H used gear is that they are very inconsistent in their ratings.  I've bought several things from them that were clearly not up to the rating they attached to them, but they've always taken them back no questons asked (it is a hassle though).  I think the used business is a bit of an afterthought for B&H.  I've found that Adorama and KEH are much more reliable in their assessments of an item's condition.

Lee Roberts

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 09:15:15 pm »

Fredmiranda.com and KEH.com (surprisingly w/such a TERRIBLE web design) are your best bets. The only new lenses I've bought were either ones with great manufacturer's rebates or newly released lenses that I HAD TO HAVE @ the time (ex: Sigma 35/1.4) that simply weren't available used or were $15 cheaper used.

Most sellers are pretty honest because the hassle of reselling if buyer pitches a hissy and demands (through Fleabay) a return and refund is more than just a hassle -- it really pisses people off.

Trust me, I've had a few people that wanted something for nothing. Not even the creme de la creme would have satisfied their "wants" -- which probably amounted to a free rental for a family event or a quick vacation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up