Poll

high quality Photopaper and Canvas for canon 8400

Tips for a new guy
- 1 (50%)
Canvas
- 1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon IPF 8400 in the hands of a rookie.  (Read 2333 times)

Jantórur Emil Joensen

Canon IPF 8400 in the hands of a rookie.
« on: January 21, 2014, 01:03:42 pm »

Canon IPF 8400 in the hands of a rookie.

Hi all
1 I would like to announce that this is not my 1 ore second language and my knowledge to write in English are limited, bear with me.

I have ordered a Canon IPF 8400, this will be my first printer, i´m a amateure photographer who wanna start a small printing business in my spare time, it is still about 2 weeks until i get the maschine

From those i have bought this maschine from i have ordered some samples of photopaper and canvas, i´m planning on printing my own pictures and print for other people, my only goal is to get a good result as possible out of each print i´m going to do

I would like to print on high quality paper/canvas, is there anyone that can give me a clue in the right direction on what paper/canvas paper i should use ?.

Also i´m interested in any tips regarding this maschine and printing.
Jantórur

smjphoto

Re: Canon IPF 8400 in the hands of a rookie.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 02:13:54 am »

Your question is way too general to answer .  there are many, many posts answering all kinds of questions about papers, canvases, and 8300 and 8400 printers. Just do some searches to get started.
Good luck. It's a great printer but there is a lot to learn.

Jantórur Emil Joensen

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 08:36:34 am »

I´m going to look for those posts here, that have something to do with 8400.

I asked for Paper and Canvas quality, because i thought that there might be some "brands" that have poor quality, and i guess they will not mention that in there ads, and i´m hoping to avoid such brands.

arlon

• Pbase account
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 04:40:51 pm »

I recently got a 6400 and just started with a mix of canon papers in smaller sizes to learn on. I threw away a bit of paper and learned a lot in the process. Now I'm expanding into other papers and canvas but the Canon printer and canon paper was a good starting point.
Honey, did you bring an extra battery?

mg73

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 04:46:44 pm »

Jantorur,
I have this printer and you will be very happy with it.  One thing to think about is that to get really good quality, you will need ICC profiles for any paper or canvas that you use.   Since it's a Canon printer, Canon provides profiles for all of its own papers.  Most of the 3rd party paper manufacturers like Hahnemule, Moab, Breathing Color, etc also provide ICC profiles that you can download from their websites.  However there is one major paper manufacturer that does not provide ICC profiles for the 8400 and that is Epson.  Obviously they want you to use their own printers.  So in order to use Epson papers/canvas with the 8400, you will have to make your own ICC profiles or have the profiles made by a private company that does them.  There are so many good paper and canvas products from the other manufactures that you don't need to use Epson unless you have the equipment to make your own profiles.  With the 8400, you can't go wrong with the paper/canvas products from Hahnemule, Moab or Breathing Color.  And they all provide free profiles.  Epson makes great products but to use them with the 8400, you'll have to make a profile for each paper.

smjphoto

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 07:40:29 pm »

You can broaden your search to include the canon ipf 8300 also, as it is the same ink and heads. Almost anything you find about the 8300 as far as use of papers and profiles will apply to the 8400.

In fact, if someone likes a certain paper on an epson or a HP, they will probably like it on a canon. It is very hard if not impossible to tell which printer a print came from by looking at the print under normal conditions.

As far as my use of 8300, I like Breathing Color's Lyve canvas and illford's gold fibre silk baryta paper ( quite lovely but a lot of curl and not inexpensive). Illford Smooth  pearl is less money and a nice substantial paper. Epson premium luster is a common solution for an everyday quality paper at a reasonable price. HP Everyday Satin is a similar look and very inexpensive; great for testing and practice. I don't do enough Matt paper to make good recommendations.

Jantórur Emil Joensen

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 01:54:38 am »

Thank you for you'r responds.
I will try to get my hands of some of the products there are mention here. :)

What about pc to use with the 8400, i think i might need to get a new pc, i currently have Asus g74s(laptop), i have only used Lightroom/photoshop elements, and was the laptop ok for this, but the performance of the laptop is going down hill  2 fast.

I'm not sure if his one will do the trick, i'm thinking on getting a new pc to use only/mostly with 8400, what is required of a pc to run smootly with 8400 ?

Also i have no idea if i need any kind of special software on the pc to print( work with 8400), Do the software come with the printer ?.
Jej

smjphoto

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 02:48:57 am »

Most people use Lightroom or photoshop to print from, though it will work with any program that has printing capability. It does come with a print driver. Almost any PC or apple should work. The post processing software is more likely to demand more speed and power than the printer.

Jantórur Emil Joensen

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 04:07:46 pm »

That was good, i thought that i might need somekind of special software.

Pages: [1]   Go Up