Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 273   Go Down

Author Topic: Show us some Abstracts!  (Read 722194 times)

Rob C

Re: Show us some Abstracts!
« Reply #1980 on: March 18, 2017, 02:50:20 pm »

Kitty Picture

Dem boids in a postbox gits everwhere!

An' they ain't flown no place no how not yet!

(Forgive the Alfred D. Runyon moment, but it just flew out all by itself. Oh well, it is Saturday after all, and it's been a tiring week doing not a lot.)

; -)

Rob

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #1981 on: March 18, 2017, 02:55:55 pm »

Now, that's abstract! And lovely, in a macabre way. And wall-deserving.
+1.
(About Oscar's "Constrained Darkness.")
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #1982 on: March 18, 2017, 02:57:33 pm »

~

Nice one (npi) Patricia!

I hadn't logged in earlier, and saw your post showing just a squiggle and nothing more, so hadn't realised that an image came with it too! I'd imagined you'd just made it (the squiggle) as a sort of passing remark.

Rob

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #1983 on: March 18, 2017, 03:00:31 pm »

Nice one (npi) Patricia!

I hadn't logged in earlier, and saw your post showing just a squiggle and nothing more, so hadn't realised that an image came with it too! I'd imagined you'd just made it (the squiggle) as a sort of passing remark.

Rob
Patricia wouldn't show a squiggle unless it contained layers of inner meanings, Rob.   ;)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1984 on: March 18, 2017, 03:13:40 pm »

Colorful it is, but this i would call impressionistic, not abstract. Additionally you could question the necessity of photography as the medium...

And IF we qualify this as impressionistic, and i don't mean to be overly critical, then what impression is being transferred? How is this different from any other colorful houses in a street? (In the same way that a sunset generally consists of pleasing colors, but how is this particular sunset different from all others?)

Please note: i'm just trying to spice up the discussion, it may well be that this thread is also meant to be non-judgemental, in which case you can ignore my questions.

Thanks for your comments. I don't know myself, what would be the best description of this style.
Topaz Impression program which I used, calls it Abstract 1. A friend of mine described it as a painting with circles. I thought, this rendition produced something quite different from the original photograph.  Non-photographers look at it differently then photographers. A competition judge would really hate it. Next time, I'll try Abstract 2. But on another image.

Here is a slightly gentler image transformation.

Rob C

« Reply #1985 on: March 18, 2017, 06:35:43 pm »

Patricia wouldn't show a squiggle unless it contained layers of inner meanings, Rob.   ;)

Eric, you're just compounding my embarrassment!

Tell you something, though: I feel that the day of 'straight' representational photography, as she was once known and loved, has pretty much passed.

It may be no more than self-projection going down here, but, I for one, feel almost no desire to record straightforward shots anymore. I feel it's as if we have crossed from classical salon to impressionism, much as with the art world of Paris those years ago. I know that there's just no turning back for me, at least.

On top of that, embracing what digital has brought, the sense of performance developing from score, the jazz-like sense of improvisation on a basic idea has made itself very strongly felt. I really do think of each shot as being just a sort of starting point to something else I may or may not be able to create later on in the process. No, it's not the same thing as spending time in the darkroom: that was another sort of creative process altogether, where the shot was the first thing that came to mind and the darkroom more the process of finishing it to the best one could in line with the original intention behind the exposure. Today, there's even a disconnect between what I think I see in camera, and what I do see on the monitor. There's a sense where the first stage is a sort of recognition of something, and that something revealing itself further down the line and sometimes not as what it has originally suggested itself to be.

I quite like that; in a way it permits that sense of anticipation one had with Kodachrome, where what you shot and remembered wasn't always, by the time the films came back to you, exactly what you had imagined you'd shot. Surprises are sometimes nice...

Rob

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1986 on: March 18, 2017, 08:08:16 pm »

I feel the same way, Rob.
Nowadays, there is a great choice of finishing options, and I don't mean just a click on one of the hundreds of presets in some filter plugin.
We all see things differently, get influenced by our past work, work of others, and get also more adventurous by changing slightly or greatly the original images.   
And of course, every image may ask for a different treatment, and every exhibition (online or physial) may require different type of prints.

I can relate also with the element of surprise when seeing an image some time after returning from a trip or discovering some interesting part in an otherwise bland image. Speaking about surprise or discovery - once, still in the film days with a Fuji GX617 I took a picture of swans and their reflections near a beaver lodge in northern Ontario, which looked quite satisfactorily on the light table, but only after scanning it at a high resolution I discovered a fully grown buck with a nice set of antlers standing on the other side of the lake.

Rob C

« Reply #1987 on: March 19, 2017, 06:13:26 am »

I feel the same way, Rob.
Nowadays, there is a great choice of finishing options, and I don't mean just a click on one of the hundreds of presets in some filter plugin.
We all see things differently, get influenced by our past work, work of others, and get also more adventurous by changing slightly or greatly the original images.   
And of course, every image may ask for a different treatment, and every exhibition (online or physial) may require different type of prints.

I can relate also with the element of surprise when seeing an image some time after returning from a trip or discovering some interesting part in an otherwise bland image. Speaking about surprise or discovery - once, still in the film days with a Fuji GX617 I took a picture of swans and their reflections near a beaver lodge in northern Ontario, which looked quite satisfactorily on the light table, but only after scanning it at a high resolution I discovered a fully grown buck with a nice set of antlers standing on the other side of the lake.

That was a wide Texas Leica, wasn't it? No, not the buck, the Fuji!

Regarding digital processing - I have no plugins at all - I see them as the invitation to yet another visual rut which can be found all too easily on one's own. I think that what digital offers is a sort of mixed blessing in that it gives us infinite contorl - more or less - over what we can do, but also the terrible temptation of overdoing things, and not knowing when enough's enough, when to walk away and let the shot be. Which itself is a problem: sometimes a little bit more would have made the difference.

In the end, either way we can't avoid responsibility.

Rob
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 09:47:11 am by Rob C »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1988 on: March 19, 2017, 06:51:29 am »

Yes, I had at one time both of them, the Texas Leica (Fuji 690) and the wide Texas Leica. They both produced large and sharp images.
However, the biggest film frame I ever made, was done on a rotational Seitz Roundshot Super camera, using a 400mm lens. Used the entire film roll just for one pano image - over 5 ft long film frame.

Geoffrey James

« Reply #1989 on: March 20, 2017, 11:07:20 pm »

Not sure if this is abstract,  but I am trying to do something with deep space as opposed to a 2-d surface,

Rob C

« Reply #1990 on: March 21, 2017, 04:30:25 am »

Not sure if this is abstract,  but I am trying to do something with deep space as opposed to a 2-d surface,

Hi Geoff,

Photo-Cubism?

;-)

Rob

Geoffrey James

« Reply #1991 on: March 21, 2017, 08:18:43 am »

Rob,  Something like that.  I was thinking of submitting this one,  taken in the instant that a ferry on the St Lawrence was pulling out.  The surfaces were so painterly.

Geoffrey James

« Reply #1992 on: March 21, 2017, 08:21:27 am »

The other side of the ramp looked like a Clifford Still

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #1993 on: March 21, 2017, 08:54:12 am »

I like all three.
My favorite is the first of the two Ferry shots.

Rob C

« Reply #1994 on: March 21, 2017, 09:55:40 am »

Good eye, Geoff; the first one, with the greens, is so brutal and screams of the differences between flesh and and the far tougher things that soft flesh can fashion.

The last one is very much into painting, but in a way that saves it from the trap of trying to make photographs that inevitably end up as failed paintings.

Good work.

Geoffrey James

« Reply #1995 on: March 21, 2017, 10:00:01 am »

Thank you, Rob.  I tend to stay away from the whole abstract thing.  It was interesting to see how the photographs of Siskind and others stood up well in the AB Ex show that the Art Gallery of Ontario did a while back, but that may have been a temporary aberration.  They were at least made at a time when there was a passionate belief in the power of abstraction.  Today, not so much. 

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #1996 on: March 21, 2017, 12:07:16 pm »

Following could be considered a combination of surrface & depth.
I have to reshoot though for several reasons, and i'm contemplating a write up about it. So, !et's call it a prelude:
Primary Colors
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #1997 on: March 28, 2017, 10:13:00 am »

A couple of shots from a recent walkabout

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #1998 on: March 28, 2017, 02:32:46 pm »

Nr 2 totally, although i would have liked the entire image filled. Absolutely great combination of natural structure and shadow, brilliant abstraction of life's entanglements and intertwined and interconnected pathways.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #1999 on: March 28, 2017, 02:36:54 pm »

The first one - those lovely colours and shapes...

Rob C
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 273   Go Up