Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X-T1 news  (Read 66611 times)

armand

• Photos
Re: Fuji X-T1 news
« Reply #140 on: March 24, 2014, 05:38:06 pm »

As you know there is that light leak issue with the early X-T1s. Mine has it, although you do have to be determined to make it happen.
It's something I can deal with with some tape as I would use only the microUSB with the remote, the other 2 ports I can cover with some tape as I don't use them. It is said that it will decrease your resale value but realistically I never sell my stuff.
I did try to return it though because of some reports that the D-pad on the newer versions is improved, which is the thing that annoys me the most with X-T1 (the only major one if I think about it) as it makes it very difficult to use with gloves. The reports are not consistent and the improvement doesn't seem that dramatic as some people made it to be.
As it seems though is barely on stock anywhere, and Amazon wanted to refund it as they have no replacement. As I still like the camera and I want to use it this week for my trip to Chicago I cancelled my return.
Amazon is nice and wants to refund 30% without me asking so if you are in the same position it could be a pretty good incentive which should cover for any resale loss.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2014, 05:49:34 pm »

I did try to return it though because of some reports that the D-pad on the newer versions is improved, which is the thing that annoys me the most with X-T1 (the only major one if I think about it) as it makes it very difficult to use with gloves. The reports are not consistent and the improvement doesn't seem that dramatic as some people made it to be.

I bought some gloves without tips for photography in cold weather  (if not too extreme) at the christmas market last year - worked wonders ...
Cheers
~Chris

armand

• Photos
« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2014, 08:53:34 pm »

I bought some gloves without tips for photography in cold weather  (if not too extreme) at the christmas market last year - worked wonders ...
Cheers
~Chris

It has been quite freezing in Michigan this winter, -10 to -20 Celsius on a regular basis.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2014, 09:49:31 am »

Fuji will fix the light leak with a fast turn around so I see no reason not to get it fixed. Mine has it, I contacted Fuji they are sending me the FedEx shipping labels and when I get I get them I will send it in, they are saying a less than 1 week turn time. Some people are putting little stick on pads to raise the feel of the buttons. Myself I find I am getting used to them and can deal with that aspect of it.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

armand

• Photos
« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2014, 11:58:37 am »

The right one is the most difficult one to press as the sticky rubber from the grip is at the same height and little space between them.
I'll be in Chicago these days and it will get a more intense use. I already have some Sugru waiting in the fridge, might be a better option then the tape.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2014, 10:36:11 pm »

It worked mostly well.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #146 on: April 21, 2014, 09:11:25 am »

With the new LR release of color profiles for Fuji I can say Finally!! almost ...

I posted earlier how bad the LR manages some colors in the red-magenta-violet area, here is the original JPEG vs the Adobe Standard.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #147 on: April 21, 2014, 09:13:27 am »

And here is the JPEG vs PROVIA which is almost identical and truer to what I saw. Also few other renderings.

So Finally!! Why almost? Detail is still not the best. PhotoNinja, Iridient and probably Capture One do a better job.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:15:00 am by armand »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #148 on: April 21, 2014, 02:16:28 pm »

The trick I have found with LR is to do minimum sharpening in LR and sharpen with Focus Magic or Topaz in focus.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

armand

• Photos
« Reply #149 on: October 13, 2014, 01:50:46 pm »

Interesting: http://petebridgwood.com.gridhosted.co.uk/wp/2014/10/x-trans-sharpening/
I'm going to try this to see how real it is.

I do sometimes sharpen in Nik but most of times only if the file trips to Photoshop for other Nik filters.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #150 on: October 13, 2014, 02:20:45 pm »

Fuji will fix the light leak with a fast turn around so I see no reason not to get it fixed. Mine has it, I contacted Fuji they are sending me the FedEx shipping labels and when I get I get them I will send it in, they are saying a less than 1 week turn time. Some people are putting little stick on pads to raise the feel of the buttons. Myself I find I am getting used to them and can deal with that aspect of it.

Alan

I am sending mine in after the fall color season is over for the light leak also.  One note, the later cameras have different buttons, that don't have the recessed feel, and are more like the ones on the X-E1 etc.  In Japan, it seems that Fuji is replacing the early 4 way set with the later version.  This was reported on Fuji Rumors with before and after pics.  No charge.  I am going to ask Fuji USA, if they will consider that on my X-T1 when I send it in for the light leak fix.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

armand

• Photos
« Reply #151 on: October 13, 2014, 03:21:38 pm »

I am sending mine in after the fall color season is over for the light leak also.  One note, the later cameras have different buttons, that don't have the recessed feel, and are more like the ones on the X-E1 etc.  In Japan, it seems that Fuji is replacing the early 4 way set with the later version.  This was reported on Fuji Rumors with before and after pics.  No charge.  I am going to ask Fuji USA, if they will consider that on my X-T1 when I send it in for the light leak fix.

Paul

Good to know I'm not the only one who did not send it yet. I'm not sure how long it would take, I don't want to be without it for too long, even if my X-E1 works just fine and my old D90 (and even older D50) are around ready, or more like begging, to be picked up.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #152 on: October 14, 2014, 04:16:22 pm »

I think I read somewhere that Fuji Japan is offering the button upgrade for a price and not sure if Fuji USA is setup for that. I don't think they feel it was a "fix" but more an option. Be interesting to see what happens.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #153 on: October 14, 2014, 04:26:32 pm »

Alan.

You are right it was a fix at a cost.  I went back and re-read the Fuju site. I am going to ask Fuji when I send it my XT-1 if such a upgrade to current spec is available in the US.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

armand

• Photos
« Reply #154 on: October 16, 2014, 08:11:27 pm »

It seems that DxO will test the 100S, for whatever it's worth.
I feel some people will be disappointed as it's unlikely the top APSC sensor on the market.
The better part is that they might test some other lenses.

williamchutton

« Reply #155 on: October 16, 2014, 10:40:53 pm »

"It seems that DxO will test the 100S, for whatever it's worth.
I feel some people will be disappointed as it's unlikely the top APSC sensor on the market.
The better part is that they might test some other lenses."

Based on Bill Claff's data, my guess is some people will be surprised at how good it is

Time will tell.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #156 on: October 17, 2014, 05:00:56 am »

Lightroom is horrible with Xtrans files, whatever the settings you use. In the other hand, Capture One pro 8 is just awesome and I do not regret having bought it. I was first stage Lightroom user but today, even Nefs files are better with C1.

You guys are messed up with fuji color profiles. Those color profiles are only usefull with in camera jpeg. You choose the style you need for jpeg only.

At raw level, those profiles do not apply. Instead of that you have a file with a lot of room, very clear, who have nothing in common with Velvia, astia and so on. The only setting who is close to the raw file is Pro Neg with -1 shadow and - 1 highlights.

With capture one pro 8 you can apply a routine at the importation, Pre-sharpening, applied on the raw file. That give you a very very good file to work with, far better than LR.

To be clear, files was almost a deal breaker for me with the fuji system... until I found out how to proper decipher the raws and C1 helped me a lot in this venture ;)

« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 05:19:07 am by Hulyss »
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

armand

• Photos
« Reply #157 on: October 17, 2014, 08:00:04 am »

That the raw gives you much more room it's obvious, even with the colors. My problem was (and you can see it posted here's) poor accuracy of magenta/ violet/red shades, and some of them I just couldn't get them closer to reality. With the Fuji profiles in LR that problem is solved without extensive work from me.
I'll try again CO, maybe they improved.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #158 on: October 17, 2014, 05:11:28 pm »

When you work a raw file, none of the colors are really what you seen, even with a color checker.

For your violet example, I do not see a real problem. The photographer, on stage, must be soaked of the ambient mood, eyes and brain. Even with a top gear such H5D60, the stage in raw do not look exactly the same as you seen it.

This is why memory is very important to manipulate your raw in a good way ... if you have a good raw developer. After one week C1 school (I did one week lightroom school back in the days) I can say that C1pro8 is a far better tool than LR especially on sharpening and color renditions. Lightroom is just mainstream compared to C1.

So ok, every cameras are not equal at color level but raw give you the possibility to manipulate this.

For violet... try nikon :D With D700 violet are blue ;)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 05:15:00 pm by Hulyss »
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

Valdo

« Reply #159 on: October 18, 2014, 01:53:57 pm »

1. Dump their SLR to buy into mirrorless;
2. Then buy a mirrorless that looks like an old SLR...

Absolutely agree, a mirrorles should look as a rangefinder.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up