Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X-T1 news  (Read 66616 times)

AFairley

Re: Fuji X-T1 news
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2014, 06:55:27 pm »

.... and draws equally well on dark paper as well as light....

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2014, 07:38:26 pm »

After reading Michael's notes today,  I totally agree Fuji should consider a option to display the "detailed information" screen during the immediate image playback after capture.  The Fuji is a bit tricky on highlights and when I first started to use it, I had some issues with not remembering to check back on capture images. 

I have not used any of the Olympus cameras so I can only compare to the Sony EVF's I have used, to me the Fuji and Sony (A7 and Nex-7) are pretty close. 

One thing I noted from day 1 with teh X-E1, is that you can't get a good magnification on playback unless you select raw +jpg.  The playback image when viewed at 100% has strange look to it, a bit plasticy.  But I believe this is from the jpg in camera which you are viewing. 

Paul C.
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

BJL

« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2014, 08:25:32 pm »

Imagine the posts on here about that.
"No, a 2h pencil is more accurate than a 3b and what durometer is the eraser as you won't want too much flex in your rubber."
:)
As usual, satire in no match for the "diverse realities" of the internet: http://www.pencilrevolution.com

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2014, 11:05:55 pm »

As usual, satire in no match for the "diverse realities" of the internet: http://www.pencilrevolution.com
My post although poking fun, was really describing the reality of what would be the caseā€¦.as wonderfully illustrated by your link.
And it reads so very much like Michael's camera reports it's untrue [so to speak].   :D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 11:08:04 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #124 on: March 04, 2014, 11:24:44 pm »

BJL did you watch the film on ? Highly recommended.

I think Poe's Law is being observed here with the film and the website.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 11:29:09 pm by jjj »

JV

« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2014, 08:45:24 pm »

I also received the 56mm today.

Good build quality, not a small lens, not very heavy though but IMO slightly harder to balance on the small X-T1 body than the other lenses I own (14, 23 and 35mm).

AF is good, pictures look sharp, so far I am pleased although I still need to try it out in other circumstances.

Deardorff

« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2014, 10:24:41 am »

Most everything about it sounds nice... except for the size. Having dumped the X-E1 in favor of the X-Pro1 due to how they handle in my hands I can't go with the smaller body size. The X-Pro1 is enough larger that it works well. When Fuji comes out with the X-Pro2 I'll be very interested.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #127 on: March 13, 2014, 08:26:33 pm »

Testing the continuous autofocus. Overall decent, I need more time with it.
The test was both easy and hard.
The easy part: black dog on white snow, most were shot with a wide angle lens with a large DOF.
The hard part: this dog was fast, unpredictable at time, and coming fast right towards me.

Few sample shots, I would say the keeper rate was above 80%.

jjj

« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2014, 01:12:29 pm »

Testing the continuous autofocus. Overall decent, I need more time with it.
The test was both easy and hard.
The easy part: black dog on white snow, most were shot with a wide angle lens with a large DOF.
The hard part: this dog was fast, unpredictable at time, and coming fast right towards me.
The easy part mostly solved the hard part though.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2014, 01:42:17 pm »

Yes, that's what I had when I went outside as I wasn't planning on testing. Will try some today with 18-55.

jjj

« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2014, 03:05:50 pm »

Dog looks like it's having a blast though. :)

armand

• Photos
« Reply #131 on: March 14, 2014, 04:21:19 pm »

Dog looks like it's having a blast though. :)

Yes he did.

Tried again today with the 18-55.
Some disclaimers first: I am not experienced with AF-C. I rarely used it before, even on my D90 where I was disappointed with it. My usual is AF-S with using DOF and predictive future position. On my D90 I used to get more keepers this way even for faster moving targets, such as kids, compared to AF-C.

On the XT-1 you need to keep the target in the center which is not that easy particularly with my subject from today. If far away and coming straight at you or parallel  it's ok, anything beyond that becomes a challenge.
IF you are able to keep the target in the center AND it starts with a good lock you might expect more than 50% success with good conditions. Anything else will be worse.
I don't know if it's the lens but it doesn't often change the focus fast enough when the object comes close.

A big surprise was that it wasn't that easy to get the first shot in focus. Many times I think it related to the busy background. If that didn't happen it rarely found the dog by the time it came next to me.
For away targets can disregards foreground distractions, when they are close it is fooled often.

At 6 frames/sec you can reach the buffer easily.

Black dog on whitish snow is not that easy as it is really difficult for the camera to focus on the head vs the tail or the legs, it's just on big fast moving erratic black spot.

I don't have experience with a good AF-C camera to know what I should realistically expect. I'm still thinking because of this to give a change to D7100 or its successor.

I attached few more of the test shots.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #132 on: March 14, 2014, 08:55:51 pm »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #133 on: March 14, 2014, 10:32:54 pm »

If those tests are accurate it seems there is minimal difference between Nikon D90, Fujifilm XE-2, Olympus E-M5 and Canon 5D III.

bcooter

« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2014, 07:56:13 am »

If those tests are accurate it seems there is minimal difference between Nikon D90, Fujifilm XE-2, Olympus E-M5 and Canon 5D III.

I've used or own three of those 4 cameras and though they all perform, they are all quite different in use and look.

The bottom line, most digital cameras are good and as Michael says, probably better than the photographers that use them.

It's picking the right camera/lens for the project.

The d90, beautiful skin tones, but a limited prosumer camera, the em-5 beautiful film like file, won't tether, small camera and 1000 iso is very top and can get rough, Canon 5dIII most versitile of all the cameras, but the smoothest, most plastic of all the cameras mentioned.

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 07:58:22 am by bcooter »

jjj

« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2014, 08:41:46 am »

I've used or own three of those 4 cameras and though they all perform, they are all quite different in use and look.
Camera models are like different film stocks in that each give a different feel.

BJL

« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2014, 11:56:17 am »

Indeed, except for the weird upturn at 3200 and 6400. However that takes the XE-2 above the "Ideal DX" at 6400, suggesting some weird in-camera processing or measurement error.
Aside: the E-M5 sits almost on the "ideal 4/3" curve, suggesting that its Sony(?) sensor is close to the fundamental limits of photon shot noise.  If so, another sign that sensor progress is close to inevitable flat-lining, and so we should look elsewhere for improvements. (I propose looking mostly in front of and behind the camera: lenses and skills.)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 07:00:27 pm by BJL »

Harald L

« Reply #137 on: March 16, 2014, 03:13:58 am »

Do you guys remember when all same-format films fitted all same-format cameras?

Rob C

Yes, I do remember. But I remember as well that all same-format films didn't fit all the developers;-)

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

Rob C

« Reply #138 on: March 16, 2014, 05:12:08 am »

Yes, I do remember. But I remember as well that all same-format films didn't fit all the developers;-)

Harald

But all of the ones that I used, of all formats, that produced black/white images, did: D76 1+1.

I suppose, too, from that perspective you could claim that they were as advanced as the Leica M Monocrom. For colour, one could utilise all the other Leicas...

;-)

Rob C

Vladimirovich

« Reply #139 on: March 16, 2014, 11:52:01 am »

Indeed, except for the weird upturn at 3200 and 6400.

strong NR in raw, as bclaff himself commented when he posted the test (@dpreview Fuji forum)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up