Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X-T1 news  (Read 66789 times)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Re: Fuji X-T1 news
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2014, 01:45:33 pm »

Today I had a chance to hold the X-T1 in my hands in my favourite shop.

The EVF is bigger, yes, awesome, yes, and my nose got flattened at the LCD - Doh.
The tiltable LCD is useful - yup - good stuff.
And the grip is hugely (did I say hugely?) improved - actually if I only could have one feature from the X-T1 added to my X-E2 it would be the grip.

I like my X-E2 for being more discreet - The "Leica stealth" look ...
And I'll happily keep it and wait for an X-Pro2 when it ever comes out.

Don't get me wrong - the X-T1 surely is a terrific camera - I'd consider it if I were to buy into the system.
But I'm sure then I'd wish for a smaller camera, like The X-E2 ...
You can't always have everything ..

Cheers
~Chris

AFairley

« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2014, 01:48:01 pm »

Thanks Chris.  Too bad they didn't get that huge viewfinder view in the X-E2 (from what I understand its not the physical LED unit that's different but the optics in the eyepiece.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2014, 01:52:27 pm »

Thanks Chris.  Too bad they didn't get that huge viewfinder view in the X-E2 (from what I understand its not the physical LED unit that's different but the optics in the eyepiece.

Honestly - I almost found it too big.
I had to press my eye very near to the viewfinder to actually see everything which squeezed my nose even flatter.
I don't miss anything concerning the EVF on my X-E2.
But the grip!
Man !
Curves !
Seriously - the new grip is a great design decision.
Cheers
~Chris

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2014, 02:14:58 pm »

Do you guys remember when all same-format films fitted all same-format cameras?

Rob C

Barely, but it was a nice feature!!

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

armand

• Photos
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2014, 05:27:12 pm »

Got my X-T1 and I'm playing for the last 15 min or so. Few quick impressions:
- viewfinder is nice, really nice, and I didn't even try the different display options
- who the $%#@ thought the recessed buttons around the menu button is a good idea? I can do it with my bare hands but it will likely be a nightmare to do it with gloves, and in Michigan I do need gloves
- handling seems to be good, the grip works; a touch deeper would have been even better
- I have no idea how to use the focus split, but peaking is good with different colors
- coming from X-E1 can't say yet how is the focus, seems decent but not yet as my D90; further attention to this
- I miss the buttons on the left side of the screen
- the exposure compensation is not as stiff as some people say, I can move it without much drama with my thumb only (might be different with gloves)
- I'm reaching the point where I need to read the manual

JV

« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2014, 08:02:04 pm »

Got my X-T1 and I'm playing for the last 15 min or so. Few quick impressions:
- viewfinder is nice, really nice, and I didn't even try the different display options
- who the $%#@ thought the recessed buttons around the menu button is a good idea? I can do it with my bare hands but it will likely be a nightmare to do it with gloves, and in Michigan I do need gloves
- handling seems to be good, the grip works; a touch deeper would have been even better
- I have no idea how to use the focus split, but peaking is good with different colors
- coming from X-E1 can't say yet how is the focus, seems decent but not yet as my D90; further attention to this
- I miss the buttons on the left side of the screen
- the exposure compensation is not as stiff as some people say, I can move it without much drama with my thumb only (might be different with gloves)
- I'm reaching the point where I need to read the manual

+1 on the selector/function buttons.  Way too small.   They really screwed that up.  Much much better on the X-Pro1.

The built-in diopter adjustment is very nice if you are in need of this.  No more need to buy correction lenses as on the X-Pro1.

The EVF is as already mentioned huge.  I like it a lot.  I doubt whether I will use the tilt screen frequently though...

Definitely the best Fuji body up till now although a little bit at the cost of simplicity I sometimes feel.

Given that i hardly used the OVF on the X-Pro1 it might be tough for Fuji to come up with another body that makes me want to upgrade.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2014, 08:21:52 pm »

Yes, I didn't think too much about the diopter, I just assumed that's how it should be. I did use it as I wear glasses.

The tilt screen will give some new life to my macro and wide angle lenses.

I do wish the grip was slightly deeper. With 55-200 is better than the X-E1 but still not optimal and considering the new zooms will be as big or bigger that's not going to get any better.

They need to work on the auto-ISO, to tie it to the focal length (2/FL-1/2FL). I got used to it and these days  I mostly stay in Aperture mode with auto-ISO.

Overall is well put together with small touches, as one button to 100% zoom on the focused area. It's a really good setup for manual focus also.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2014, 09:48:08 pm »

Few more things. Tried the autofocus, both single and continuous. Test: kids playing in the mall, not great lighting, so a difficult one.
Result: overrated autofocus performance.
Now granted I might not have used at its best but even so, it's not a fast focusing camera. Maybe if you have the subject a little farther with more time to guide your actions it will be better. On single shot I can't say it was better than my X-E1 either. Once I get to know it better it could become.
Contrary to what I've heard the 35 was many times faster than the 18-55 which could be that something was not right.
These I can deal with it. What did annoy me was focus accuracy. It was faster many times with face detection on but still was missing more often than expected. On the 35mm I could expect misses as I shot wide at 1.4, but it shouldn't be on the 18-55. If you really want to have a higher keeper rate for kids this doesn't seem to be the one. Also because the focus was subpar I had a distinct feeling of shutter lag,
I did not have the high performance ON at that time.

Even with these shortcomings (apparent at least) it's still a nice camera. The JPEGs are really good. No access to raw yet. It remains a good camera for what I got it: a lighter higher quality image producer that's easier to take with me, for random things or travel, which has a decent resistance to the elements.

As my Nikon is a D90 the Fuji is my best pixel level camera also, but any current Nikon I could buy (D7100, D610, D800) will be better at pixel level and if you print big, or probably for not missing the moment with kids.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2014, 12:38:13 am »

Armand,

I got mine on Friday, still playing around. I thought the focus was much faster, than the xp1 and xe1. Did you turn on "high performance" in the settings on the menu? It makes a difference. Try adjusting the size of the focus box, too big and it kept changing rapidly on me in continuous mode. We are having lots of rain today and hopefully not too much tomorrow I might give the 55-200 a try with some birds in flight.

Raw access is available with Silkypix on the disk that came with the camera. Also there is a release candidate of ACR, also anything that uses DCRAW will decode the raws, so that includes Photoninja, Iridient, and some other ones. You can also process them in camera, load them back up on a card.

My overall impression so far it was worth the upgrade for me, I like the new focusing modes and color on peaking, the split view is great. The larger EVF is very good. Larger lcd is nice. Feels good in my hands although I too think I need a little more in the grip area to be great. The ability to use a release is nice, and the built in intervalometer.

Better upgrade than I thought it might be.

Alan
more later....
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

JV

« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2014, 03:13:12 pm »

I did a first shoot yesterday.

The camera functioned well, only it will take a while to get used to the selector/function buttons.

They are just too small for me. The ones on the X-Pro1 are so much better. 

Otherwise the camera is an improvement on the X-Pro1

Petrus

« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2014, 03:36:34 pm »

I got one two days ago, but have not played with it much.

Nice feel and the viewfinder is quite amazing for an electric one. Practically no lag at all! In dark conditions the darn thing looks better than an optical one. Old fashioned dials for ISO, shutter and F-stop (on the lens) feel good and straightforward to an old fart like me, who hates to learn and relearn new interfaces with every new gadget. Buttons are too small, maybe they look nicer on a small body, but they are not very ergonomic. D4 is still the King, but triple the size.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #111 on: March 02, 2014, 05:28:34 pm »

I'm thinking of adding some rubber over the ridges of the 4 buttons to make them easier to push, at least with gloves. Somebody might come up with something like it, they already have something to keep the ISO lock pushed down.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2014, 11:42:24 am »

Found this one: http://sugru.com/great-for/photography , should work just fine.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2014, 12:46:37 pm »

I have been in Las Vegas for the last few days.  Chris and I have done a comparison video of the Olympus and the Fuji X-T1 and we will try to get that put together as soon as possible.  I also think Michael and Nick have covered the X-T1 very well also.  I have an X100, X1-Pro and now the X-T1.  As a camera where you want to see everything and have a more tactile operation the X-T1 s a fine camera.  I really like it.  I have a number of lenses for it and anxiously await the 10-24 (maybe in the next week) and the 56mm.  A few comments and probably nothing new here.  It is very fast with auto focus.  Image quality vs the Olympus in indistinguishable at least on screen.  I intend to make some larger prints in the next week or so and evaluate them.  Stay tuned.  Here is something I would strongly suggest you look at if you are looking to purchase.  Everyone is talking about how nice the EVF is and it is.  However, during our comparison I was using both the Olympus and the Fuji to do identical shots.  The difference in viewfinder brightness and quality is quite different.  I thought I might have a bad camera so I asked Michael who has an X-T1 with him to do the same comparison and he came up with the same finding.  So, I recommend that you take a look at this if you are looking at both systems. 

I am kind of a camera addict.  (Are there others of you out there?)  So, I have both system and it is part on my mantra that I learned a long tome ago is to always have a camera with you. And, I like the X-T1 to make it pretty much my pick up and go camera for now.  I love the Olympus, especially with the new pro lens 12-40mm, which is an incredible lens.  Once Olympus rounds out the Pro Lens offering they will have a great system.  What's nice about the Olympus is it will take old 4/3 system lenses as well as a number of other micro 4/3 lenses.  I use some of my Lumix lenses on the OM1 particularly the 7-14mm and 100-300mm.  The 100-300mm came in very handy the other day while photographing a herd of Big Horn Sheep in Zion National Park.  It gives nearly a 600mm equivalent reach in a lens that you can hand hold and fits in the palm of your hand.  Some very nice images and with the fast focus of the OM1 and the fast exposure rate I have some nice images. When I get a decent internet connection I'll post on Facebook and my blog.  (hard to believe we are the the MGM Grand Hotel and can’t even get a 1 mps internet connection.  Thank heavens for iPhone Hot Spot).

My thinking is with the Fuji and 10-24mm, 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens I have a system that I can carry with me in jacket or vest pockets.  Makes me rethink my camera vest solutions too.  I am trying out a new Eddie Bauer vest and it seems to work great for having a lighter vest with good sized pockets to carry lenses and batteries.  Comes in 2 colors too.

We are at the WPPI Trade Show until Thursday and we have meetings with Fuji, Olympus and others.  I'll try to get a small show report put together about what we have seen.  We had an interesting meeting with Sigma yesterday on the upcoming DP Quattro and will have a video report on what we learned.  I even got to hold the elusive HB Stellar and Lunar cameras.  They do exist.  Too rich for my wallet though. 

So, back to the X-T1.  It is a lot simpler to use than the EM-1 since it is more mechanical.  The Olympus though sure has a lot of capabilities to customize things.  This leads me to think that the Olympus will become my in field camera.  Can't wait to see the other Pro lenses.  What I miss about the Fuji is the histogram after the shot is taken.  If anyone has been on one of my workshops they know I preach histogram.  As far as I am concerned Fuji could take away the image after the shot and just give me a good histogram.  For now I can live with this inconvenience and I consider serious oversight.  But if I was purchasing just one system this omission might be a deal breaker for me.  I will certainly discuss this today when I meet with the Fuji folks.  Maybe we will see a firmware update with this feature added. 

My poor Nikons and Phase One gear are spending a lot of time on the shelves of my gear closet these days.  I’ll seriously have to reconsider my capture workflow.

That's all for now.  I'll report back after meetings today.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2014, 01:15:35 pm »

Kevin - keep the Fuji or Oly sell the rest and get an additional 4x5 view camera to really have fun.
Add a Zeiss Ikonta for the occasional posing on an event like Photokina ....
Then buy a drawing block and a pencil and take courses in drawing.

Cheers
~Chris
 ;D

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2014, 01:29:08 pm »

kevin,

Ask Fuji if they are going to expand the AEB exposure range, +/- 1 stop is not great, why not selectable ev range and choice of 3.5. or 7 shots as a suggestion. You shoot hdr, be nice to have a larger range. That is one of my niggles with the current firmware.

Have fun.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Manoli

« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2014, 01:59:20 pm »

I have a system that I can carry with me in jacket or vest pockets.  Makes me rethink my camera vest solutions too.  I am trying out a new Eddie Bauer vest ...

Keviiinnn !! I think you may need a new tailor - you're not coming to Milan Fashion Week dressed like that!

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2014, 02:28:05 pm »

Then buy a drawing block and a pencil and take courses in drawing.
Imagine the posts on here about that.
"No, a 2h pencil is more accurate than a 3b and what durometer is the eraser as you won't want too much flex in your rubber."
:)
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2014, 04:22:37 pm »

Imagine the posts on here about that.
"No, a 2h pencil is more accurate than a 3b and what durometer is the eraser as you won't want too much flex in your rubber."
:)

And in the end it will all boil down to who has the bigger pencil.
 ;D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 04:35:21 pm by Martin Ranger »
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #119 on: March 04, 2014, 05:15:13 pm »

…... the biggest pencil that can draw the thinnest lines….to show the most detail…..and have the widest colour range...
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up