Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X-T1 news  (Read 66610 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Fuji X-T1 news
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 06:42:47 am »

Live view on your 6D can be challenging in bright light and zooming in to 100% can be tedious with the combination of keystrokes required.  Comparing it other Canon cameras.  The ability to have all of info you need at eye level plus magnification is great.  In low light the Canon wins hands down as most EVFs seem to drag and show a lot more noise.  Canon has low light live down pat. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Sal Baker

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 03:29:29 pm »

You know DSLRs have live view and zooming? All I know is that the OVF of my 6D is miles better than EVFs. But to each its own.

And no, I am not going to buy the XT1, I prefer the "SLR template" from a true DSLR. As I said, the XE1 and XPro are very good for a "rangefinder template", with good manual controls, easy to use. But the 6D with a 50mm lens, it's a gem of a full frame.
Yes, I know that.  The 5DII has a rear LCD, but I had to initiate live view which was impossible to see in sunlight, required more button presses to see a magnified image, and had zero focus aids like peaking.  On the X-E2 the EVF is easily readable in sunlight, can be set to automatically magnify the focus area when the focus ring is touched, and has focus peaking available.  That, and the stellar IQ and engaging rangefinder form convinced me to sell my Canon gear.

Fuji is presenting some very nice options lately.

Sal

Manoli

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 05:19:00 am by Manoli »

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 05:28:56 am »

All of this shots have been made with the XT1 + 56f1.2, either wide open or at f1.4.

The series end till the guy in B&W. Enjoy (especially the tracking ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25805910@N05/with/12121824294/
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 06:14:03 am »

You can preorder it now on BH photo's site.  Came in at 1300 US.  Looks nice not sure why they went with a rough finish.  New features of EVF look very good. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 09:40:16 am »

Adorama and Amazon also have pre-orders. Looks really nice, but wish they would enhance the AEB, I want more than +/- 1 stop but the built intervalometer is nice too. Also being able to review images while they are being written to the card, a bigger buffer, all very nice.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Vladimirovich

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 10:50:35 am »

But the 6D with a 50mm lens, it's a gem of a full frame.
the real gem is 1Dx... 6D is a plug for those who want FF, but can't afford the gem... but granted 6D has a better sensor than 5DmkIII, for now
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:54:12 am by Vladimirovich »

Vladimirovich

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2014, 10:52:40 am »

In low light the Canon wins hands down as most EVFs seem to drag and show a lot more noise.
that's not about EVF vs OVF - it is about sensor feeding the LV... OVF in low light is simply useless.

JV

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2014, 06:14:11 pm »

I pre-ordered the X-T1 today.

I have an X-Pro1 and I believe the X-T1 contains enough improvements over the X-Pro1 to justify the purchase.

I personally hardly use the OVF so the absence of the OVF is not an issue for me.  I will keep the X-pro1 as a backup body though.

Joris.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2014, 07:18:24 pm »

I am tempted, really tempted. My only issues is that I have a love hate relationship with X-Trans. Some images looks great, some not so much, mostly when I pixel peep though.
Other than that looks to have most of the things I wanted in this camera. A touchscreen would have been nice for a quick touch to focus anywhere in the frame.
Focus should be better than in my X-E1 where it's adequate but not great, mostly on moving subjects but also on low light/ low contrast situations.

JV

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 07:31:01 pm »

I had a look at Rico's review:
http://www.fujirumors.com/first-look-fujifilm-x-t1/
and what he listed as the major improvements over the X-E2:

• Fast, almost delay-free EVF with a constant 54 fps refresh rate even in low light
  • Large viewfinder with new, clutter-free user interface
  • Tiltable LCD display and flash sync terminal
  • Dust, water and freeze resistant (down to -10˚C)
  • DSLR-style shooting: Viewfinder is located on the optical axis
  • Great for left-eyed shooters: no display smearing, right eye can remain open and scan the surroundings of the scene
  • UHS-II SD card support for ultra-fast performance
  • Predictive tracking AF with speeds of up to 8 fps
  • Wireless remote tethering with Android and iOS

None of these will make me take better pictures or are truly essential for me but I figured it was worth the upgrade anyway.

I have the 56mm f/1.2 on pre-order as well.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2014, 10:54:32 pm »

I preordered one as well. I like to use an electronic release and I like to long exposure, less touching the camera the better when I am doing that, also timelapse would be a plus, so enough of an upgrade for me also. I also have the 10-24mm on pre-order. The 56mm could be nice but it is not something I would use a lot, so I am not in a rush to get one.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2014, 03:53:27 am »

the real gem is 1Dx... 6D is a plug for those who want FF, but can't afford the gem... but granted 6D has a better sensor than 5DmkIII, for now

I am sure the 1DX is a great camera, after all it sits, at the moment, at the top of the Canon DSLR line. However, for my purposes, it would be overkill, besides being too expensive. So yes, I am quite happy with the plug.

chez

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2014, 06:47:57 am »

Nope, from a sensor point of view...the real gem is the Sony sensors in the Nikon and Sony full frame cameras.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2014, 07:36:54 am »

Fuji, seems to have a good "system" methodology, and their xtrans sensor in my usage seems to have the ability to create images comparable to the Sony chip in DR  abet not in resolution.  Dream sensor would be xtrans at about 24MP.  Probably not coming for a while and if full frame it would have the same issues with current X series lenses as the new Sony does. 

To me the only issue is raw conversion support.  Irident raw deveoloper seems to get the overall best from the raws but it's MAC only.  LR with 5.3 seems much better on fine greens but still get a plasticky look on rocks.   

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2014, 08:19:28 am »

Nope, from a sensor point of view...the real gem is the Sony sensors in the Nikon and Sony full frame cameras.

But presumably if one has a cupboard full of EOS lenses one would probably opt for the 1dx over the Sony or Nikon......  I even know a local photographer who has swapped his 5D3 and lenses for a Nikon D800 and while he loves the pictures, he hates the camera!

There are so many photographers comparing apples and oranges with cameras at the moment.  Most of the better cameras these days whether Canon, Nikon, Sony or any of the CSC's are going to give image quality that will be far more dependant on the skill of the user than any deficiencies in the hardware.

I hanker after an EM-1, but realistically I know the image quality will not be much different from my three year-old GH2.  The lenses are where it's at really.

Jim

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2014, 08:24:55 am »

+1 on the importance of lenses.

One area that Fuji impressed me from the start, is the quality of the X lenses.  I have to find any faults with any of the ones I have used:

14mm F.28
18-55mm
60mm Macro
55-200mm
23mm

All excellent lenses, only wish the 60mm has OIS.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2014, 10:11:31 am »

Fuji, seems to have a good "system" methodology, and their xtrans sensor in my usage seems to have the ability to create images comparable to the Sony chip in DR  abet not in resolution.  Dream sensor would be xtrans at about 24MP.  Probably not coming for a while and if full frame it would have the same issues with current X series lenses as the new Sony does. 

To me the only issue is raw conversion support.  Irident raw deveoloper seems to get the overall best from the raws but it's MAC only.  LR with 5.3 seems much better on fine greens but still get a plasticky look on rocks.   

Paul Caldwell

Paul,

Capture One is excellent, and the other one that works rather well and can integrate well with Lightroom is Photoninja, very close to Irident, which makes sense since they both use DCRAW as the conversion engine. There is a rumor that Adobe will have a better version out soon, but that is only rumor. I really like the initial color from Capture One and the detail is much better that Adobe in my using it.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2014, 11:04:26 am »

Alan, I agree Capture One does a good  job, however I still find areas where the finer details are mushy at times.  Greens especially.  Capture One's base profile IMO is a bit off the hue for blues but that's an easy fix with Capture One color controls.  I also read where Adobe is working on a better solution for raw conversion.  Hopefully they will pass it down to LR and not just CC as I am not a CC user.  CS6 has all I need for now.

I tend to lead with Capture One, and only go to Irident when I find an issue where I can't get the look I want.  The files pack a ton of details.  When I use Irident, I only make the base conversion to tif, then go to LR to finish the look I want. 

Both LR and Capture One have a much great tool set than Irident from what I have found.

Paul

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

chez

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2014, 05:43:55 pm »

But presumably if one has a cupboard full of EOS lenses one would probably opt for the 1dx over the Sony or Nikon......  I even know a local photographer who has swapped his 5D3 and lenses for a Nikon D800 and while he loves the pictures, he hates the camera!

There are so many photographers comparing apples and oranges with cameras at the moment.  Most of the better cameras these days whether Canon, Nikon, Sony or any of the CSC's are going to give image quality that will be far more dependant on the skill of the user than any deficiencies in the hardware.

I hanker after an EM-1, but realistically I know the image quality will not be much different from my three year-old GH2.  The lenses are where it's at really.

Jim

Jim, it really depends on what you shoot. I shoot landscapes and I own a bunch of Canon mount lenses..but I sure am not tied to using a Canon body. I am very much looking into the A7R as it allows me to keep my Canon lenses and provides me with a better overall image than what I can get out of any Canon camera. Don't need the speed ( or frankly the cost ) of a 1DX and the 5D3 gives me nothing that my 5D2 doesn't already to for me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up