Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X-T1 news  (Read 66695 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Fuji X-T1 news
« on: January 21, 2014, 10:05:52 am »

What is the interest on this site for the Fuji X-T1 camera.  It does seem to be coming sooner than later, latest news Jan 28th announcement. 

http://www.fujirumors.com/

Pricing seems to be around $1,300 for body only and $1,800 with new 18-135 lens. 

For me if the AF is as good as either the X-E1 or E2, it's more than likely going to be added to the list.  Love the fact that it should have a tiltable screen finally.  Also prefer the DSLR look and feel. EVF is also supposedly going to have improvements.  What a great compliment to their already excellent line of both cameras and lenses.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

BJL

Re: Fuji X-T1 news: official site
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 11:27:02 am »

I will just add that this is more that a rumor; there is an official "teaser" website http://fujifilm-x.com/teaser140128/en/

By the way, I tend to agree that for cameras with an EVF, I actually like hump and shoulders ("mock-SLR") style as much as the flat-topped ("mock-rangefinder") alternative.  Some people mistakenly think that the hump approach increase height by the height of the EVF, but in fact in either case the EVF sits immediately above the rear screen, so the hump style only need to be higher by the few mm of the hot-shoe atop the hump. Meanwhile, the rest of the body to either side of the hump is lower than with the flat-top designs, which are as high as the EVF across the whole width of the body.

But that is just my taste; I have no dispute with people who prefer flat-tops.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Re: Fuji X-T1 news
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 11:55:06 am »

I will wait and see what it really offers. I want the ability to autobracket more than the +/-1 stop that the cameras currently have via firmware, the pics show a +/-3 stops compensation but the firmware is still limited in current models. Also the ability to use an electronic release, I wish my xp1 had that, the manual plunger is ok and kind of a nostalgic novelty but for real use I much prefer an electronic release. I enjoy my xp1 and it really has me desiring new camera bodies less and less, Fuji keeps churning out new lenses that are great optically, so basically I am a happy camper except for the usability points mentioned above. Nice that the firmware is continuing to be upgraded and that seems to be their direction as well for the future. Keep them usable and updated.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 01:02:46 pm »

I thought the XP1 took both the Mini USB remote like the X-E1 had but I have never shot one.  If they left no electronic  remote capability on the Xp1 that is surprising.

They changed it to the Micro USB on the X-E2.  I found a couple of port converters made in China and tried them on my intervalometer for my X-E1 which uses the Mini port.  No go.  Then I read that on the X-E2 the mini port was not programed for anything more than the single button release Fuji makes.  However you can easily get a intervalometer to work in the microphone port.  I have the "rainbow" brand and it works perfectly in the X-E2. 

I am also wondering what the port setup will be on the X-T1, micro more than likely but I am also sure it will have a microphone port. 

It was amazing just how many remote protocols that Fuji programed into the X-E2 (via mircrophone jack).  Again not a bad trade off and forward thinking by them.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 01:23:57 pm »

No the Xp1 has no remote capability other than the mechanical release on the shutter button. So I am hoping that they are going to fix that in the XT1, but we shall see. I will probably rent it first to try it and see how it feels and handles. Kind of refreshing not to have a large gear lust...  ;D although once it is really available that may change. I don't expect it to be available until spring or summer at least, given their past releases.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 02:40:19 am »

This is FujiĀ“s attempt to jump into the retro SLR bandwagon trend, which seems to be "hot" at the moment. As na aside, I find it funny that people:

1. Dump their SLR to buy into mirrorless;

2. Then buy a mirrorless that looks like an old SLR...

But then, this is just to compete with the Sony A7 and Nikon Df. Personally, I prefer the rangefinder form of the XPro and XE series. If I want a SLR style camera, I get na SLR. In fact, I did that, got an EOS 6D and 50 1.4 lens, not really that big...

Petrus

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 04:34:44 am »

With the viewfinder at the SLR position it is possible to use bigger and thus sharper EVF inside it, and there is also more space for bigger LCD screen on the back. Also having the viewfinder lined up with the lens (for horizontal = most shooting) is not a bad thing either.

So I would not bash them for this design too much. I might buy it if the viewfinder is good enough = not much lag. I have the X-Pro1 and X100s already and they crank out (technically) beautiful files. 

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 07:24:53 am »

In fact, I did that, got an EOS 6D and 50 1.4 lens, not really that big...

By itself, it's not that big, though next to an XE2 and the 35/1.4 it's noticeably larger. Adding a couple of extra lenses makes a substantial difference in the size and weight of the overall kit. These days I take my Canons out only when I need some specific feature.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 08:08:44 am »

I don't feel its as much as with competing with Sony as just adding another great option to users of this excellent camera system.   Fuji has had several DSLR style bodies using their unique sensors. 

Right now Sony has the lock on large MP mirrorless.  If Fuji was to produce a full frame they would also need a new set of lenses to take advantage of the size if the sensor as all current X lenses would vignette just like the Sony E lenses do on the A7 family.

I for one would love to see a full frame x-trans sensor at around 24Mp

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

JV

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 08:37:47 am »

By itself, it's not that big, though next to an XE2 and the 35/1.4 it's noticeably larger. Adding a couple of extra lenses makes a substantial difference in the size and weight of the overall kit. These days I take my Canons out only when I need some specific feature.

+1.  I recently traveled with the X-Pro1 and 3 prime lenses (14, 23 and 35).  Still very light. 

Vladimirovich

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 09:31:15 am »

1. Dump their SLR to buy into mirrorless;

did it ever happen to you to notice that for many (most) switch from dSLR to dSLM is not because they don't like dSLR shape (= grip, viewfinder in the middle) or modern dSLR controls (not retrodials) ? that there are other values like CDAF, EVF, size/weight of the combo (camera/lens) ?

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 09:54:46 am »

On the Fuji Rumors site there are some more leaked pics, this time including the battery grip. It will be interesting to see how it performs in the real world and what features have improved. I will probably rent one to see how it compares.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

zlatko-b

• http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 10:46:19 am »

I don't feel its as much as with competing with Sony as just adding another great option to users of this excellent camera system.   Fuji has had several DSLR style bodies using their unique sensors. 

I agree.  They are building the X system with another option that will meet some photographers' needs better.  It looks like a beautiful design!

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 01:26:52 pm »

did it ever happen to you to notice that for many (most) switch from dSLR to dSLM is not because they don't like dSLR shape (= grip, viewfinder in the middle) or modern dSLR controls (not retrodials) ? that there are other values like CDAF, EVF, size/weight of the combo (camera/lens) ?

Yes, I actually happen to notice... the "values" you mention are not decisive for the XT1, or for the other retro-vintage DSLR styled mirrorless cameras, that are a fashion these days. In fact, most of the praise cameras like the Nikon Df, Sony A7, and now Fuji XT1 are getting, is not because of the EVF, CDAF, size/weight, but because they have 2old stly" buttons and dials and a hump in the middle where the OVF used to be. They appeal to the nostalgics amongst us, they appeal because they have the tactile feel of the manual controls.

I actually happen to notice, and indeed bought the XE1 and XPro1, because they applied the digital era advantages on a template that is not a DSLR copy, and because they are significantly smaller than a DSLR. Once you bring the hump back, you lose most of the size advantage, and the OVF of a DSLR is still miles better than the best EVF.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 03:28:33 pm »

Once you bring the hump back, you lose most of the size advantage, and the OVF of a DSLR is still miles better than the best EVF.
You will if the two bodies are the same size, but we are yet to see...

BJL

Fuji X-T1 news: the VF is atop the rear-screen anyway, so height is similar
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 03:45:38 pm »

Once you bring the hump back, you lose most of the size advantage ...
Are you forgetting that the "flat-top" or "pseudo-rangefinder" EVF cameras also have the EVF above the rear screen, just moved to the left?  So the top of the EVF is as far above the bottom of the camera in either design. The main difference is that the flat-top designs usually then have this extra height across the whole width of the camera, whereas the "hump" or "pseudo-SLR" designs are actually lower than the flat-tops at their shoulders.

The hump style only needs to be higher by the few mm atop the EVF for the hot shoe.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 03:04:10 am »

and the OVF of a DSLR is still miles better than the best EVF.
on the contrary, best EVF are miles ahead of OVF... ever tried to focus manually when it's dark using corner of a frame w/o focus and recompose ? good luck nailing that with OVF whereas EVF can boost brightness and zoom your focus area of choice... and I am not even going into Olympus style blinkies that can properly show clipping in raw channels in your EVF in real time.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 03:24:28 am »

I actually happen to notice, and indeed bought the XE1 and XPro1, because they applied the digital era advantages on a template that is not a DSLR copy
and now you are going to buy X-T1 because it applies mirrorless advantages in dSLR shape... with proven dSLM design = grip and EVF in the middle... and dedicated dials are the only one real retro bone for fashion hungry  ;)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 07:45:15 am »

In my use of EVF, Sony NEX-7, Sony A99, Fuji X-E2, and E1, the only place they may let you down is in panning as some are slower than others to catch up with movement, and low light manual focus.  The Sony Nex-7 was at times hard to focus with the EVF in low light, but for me the LCD with peaking was still excellent.  Fuji's X-E1's EVF was a bit slow with either movement or low light, but the X-E2 seems to have improved on this.  In low light the EVF will always have more issues with noise in my experience.

I feel that Fuji's big mistake on the X-E1 and X-E2 was to not figure in a way to have an eye cup around the EVF finder window.  Sunlight coming in over your shoulder can make using the Fuji EVF tricky at times.  Sony has always had a good solution here.  I noticed that on the pre-shots of the X-T1 Fuji seems to have placed an eye cup around the EVF finder window.

The trade off is the fact that you can zoom in with peaking which I have gotten very fond of.  Nikon and Canon can come close with Live View on their LCD"s but many times in the outdoors, the ambient light makes focus from the LCD hard to do. 

My for work, I still miss the tiltable LCD, and if Fuji puts that on the X-T1 that will be a big plus.

Paul

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 04:31:04 am »

on the contrary, best EVF are miles ahead of OVF... ever tried to focus manually when it's dark using corner of a frame w/o focus and recompose ? good luck nailing that with OVF whereas EVF can boost brightness and zoom your focus area of choice... and I am not even going into Olympus style blinkies that can properly show clipping in raw channels in your EVF in real time.

You know DSLRs have live view and zooming? All I know is that the OVF of my 6D is miles better than EVFs. But to each its own.

And no, I am not going to buy the XT1, I prefer the "SLR template" from a true DSLR. As I said, the XE1 and XPro are very good for a "rangefinder template", with good manual controls, easy to use. But the 6D with a 50mm lens, it's a gem of a full frame.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up