Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XE-2 or RX10??  (Read 3963 times)

marcgoldring

XE-2 or RX10??
« on: January 21, 2014, 08:58:07 am »

I’ve long followed this forum and rely on the generosity and wisdom of participants. So thanks in advance – and I’ll try to be brief (never my strong suit…). I'm a serious non-professional who started with digital with a CP990. My work is here

I am considering selling my old and well-used Nikon D90 and 3-4 lenses to replace it with something lighter and with higher image quality. I have a Sony RX100 (not the II) and I am blown away by the image quality and the ability to carry it anywhere and I'd like to emulate those benefits in an even more capable camera. The two big problems with the RX100 – first, I simply cannot comfortably frame with the LCD; and I generally like to shoot both longer and wider than the range of its fixed lens.

I was completely taken with the XE-2. The kit lens is fine as far as it goes and I can see that the lenses I'd want are available (pricey but available). But when I tried the 55-200mm, the kit gets kinda big. That brought me to the RX10. It’s a fixed lens but the range works better for how I shoot. But it ain’t so small itself and of course the lens is what it is.

I know you can’t figure this out for me but any ideas about how to think about this would be useful. Are there other cameras I should consider? Maybe even the Nikon D7100, is it light enough? Are there other Fuji zooms that are lighter? Not sure why I eliminated the OMD series but I am taken with the Fuji… As I said, any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Marc
Marc Goldring
visit my site Marcoclicks

Herbc

Re: XE-2 or RX10??
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 09:22:47 am »

Any of the Sony offerings should work.  The NEX 7 is very capable, has excellent Zeiss lenses to fit.
I too have had a few mirrorless cameras, decided to stay withing APS-C sensors.
The Oly's however, have the in-body vibration control, which is very nice., and I found the Pansonic 150-300 lens quite manageable.
Depends on what size print you are after.  I have gotten into competitive gallery competitions with work from m 4/3.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 07:17:27 am »

I have both m4/3 and Fuji systems (and Canon too; I can quit whenever I want :)) All of the APS-sensor compacts have the same problem with lens size, as it has to cover a larger image circle. You'd think the m4/3 system can't be much smaller -- but it is, and it's mostly due to the lenses, which are very compact side by side with the Fujis.

There are several high-end zooms made for m4/3; they aren't very large and image quality is excellent. The various primes are also very, very good. Easily the equal of the excellent Fuji primes. The OM1 or the Panasonic GX7 would be very good choices for an m4/3 system.

All that said, I use the Fuji system every day. It's just a lot of fun to shoot if one is a photographer of a certain age. :)
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

JV

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 10:36:40 am »

I have both m4/3 and Fuji systems (and Canon too; I can quit whenever I want :)) All of the APS-sensor compacts have the same problem with lens size, as it has to cover a larger image circle. You'd think the m4/3 system can't be much smaller -- but it is, and it's mostly due to the lenses, which are very compact side by side with the Fujis.

There are several high-end zooms made for m4/3; they aren't very large and image quality is excellent. The various primes are also very, very good. Easily the equal of the excellent Fuji primes. The OM1 or the Panasonic GX7 would be very good choices for an m4/3 system.

All that said, I use the Fuji system every day. It's just a lot of fun to shoot if one is a photographer of a certain age. :)

How does the image quality of the m4/3 systems compare to the Fuji?

IMO the image quality of the Fuji is excellent.  I looked into m4/3 a few years ago with the GF1 and the GH2 but I was not entirely convinced.

Would the E-M1 be a big step forward?  On par with Fuji?

Also, again in my opinion, I prefer the Fuji primes over the 20mm pancake and 25mm Leica that I have experience with.

Thanks, Joris.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:38:39 am by JV »

marcgoldring

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 03:02:22 pm »

Does anyone have any thoughts about the RX10? I've about written it off - even though it might address all my current inclinations, I'm basically a one-camera guy, and I"m not crazy about being locked into that one lens, no matter how good.

So now I'm thinking - XE2 or OMD EM1… Thoughts?
Marc Goldring
visit my site Marcoclicks

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 03:48:22 pm »

IMO the image quality of the Fuji is excellent.  I looked into m4/3 a few years ago with the GF1 and the GH2 but I was not entirely convinced.

Would the E-M1 be a big step forward?  On par with Fuji?

I don't know -- I have a GH2 and my wife has a G5. The Fuji XE1 and X Pro 1 are significantly better in image quality, especially at high ISOs. I understand that the OM1 and GX7 have improved a lot, to the point where they are comparable, but I have not tested either one.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Telecaster

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 04:10:07 pm »

They're different. Panasonic and Olympus m43 are different to each other as well. IMO it's more a matter of taste these days than anything objectively qualitative. Do you have a native aspect ratio preference? I'd put more weight on that than on any IQ differences.

Also, again in my opinion, I prefer the Fuji primes over the 20mm pancake and 25mm Leica that I have experience with.

There's your choice made for you! Both systems have great lens options...pick the one with the lenses you prefer.

-Dave-

JV

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 04:48:50 pm »

They're different. Panasonic and Olympus m43 are different to each other as well. IMO it's more a matter of taste these days than anything objectively qualitative. Do you have a native aspect ratio preference? I'd put more weight on that than on any IQ differences.

There's your choice made for you! Both systems have great lens options...pick the one with the lenses you prefer.

-Dave-

Thanks Dave!

No aspect ratio preference, 4:3 or 3:2, I am fine with both...

I was planning on giving the E-M5 (fairly cheap now) a try together with the Zuiko 75mm f1.8.

But then the rumors about the X-T1 started coming in… and I already have the 56mm f1.2 on order…

Might still do so.  Thanks, Joris.
Pages: [1]   Go Up