Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down

Author Topic: MF CMOS -- now it gets interesting  (Read 57313 times)

BJL

44x33mm as a good place to start before further upsizing?
« Reply #260 on: January 25, 2014, 12:28:56 pm »

Optimistically, I can see 44x33mm as simply a good place to start with CMOS sensors in formats larger than 35mm, because compared to even larger formats, this has lower development and manufacturing costs, more potential customers given Pentax's choice of 44x33mm format for its 645D, all allowing lower initial retail prices.  Let us see how well it sells, and if Sony/Phase One/Hasselblad respond with further models closer to full 645 format.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: MF CMOS -- now it gets interesting
« Reply #261 on: January 25, 2014, 05:13:13 pm »

Hi,

The reason Phase One can increase is ISO is that the new sensor has lower noise, which results in better shadow detail.

I have a P45+ and a Sony SLT 99, so I actually know what I am talking about. There is a lot of bad information coming from Phase One.

The backs are good and the images are, well, OK. But the advantage of the backs is coming from the sensor size, and not from 16-bits or black magic.

Best regards
Erik

1) The advantage will almost certainly not be only in low light/high ISO performance; the Sony Exmor CMOS sensor should also have an advantage at base ISO speed through lower dark noise levels and thus somewhat greater dynamic range.  Phase One reports a 14 stops DR for the IQ250, vs 13 for the IQ260 and IQ280, and this 14 stops fits with third party measurements of other Sony Exmor sensors of similar pixel size. (This is an inherent and well-evidenced advantage of CMOS sensors, and in particular Sony's Exmor sensors, over CCD.)  By the way, I recommend ignoring the 16-bit spec.: 16-bit conversion of a 13 stop signal simply adds "three bits of marketing noise", as has been explained many times.

2) Some people will appreciate convenient 24fps Live View for careful manual focusing.

3) Some people like the ability to use medium format lenses rather than the ones available for 35mm format.

4) Compared to options like Sony's 36MP 36x24mm Exmor sensors: even in situations where 36MP is enough, 51MP downsized to match the resolution and detail given by a 36MP sensor gains in "per pixel" SNR and DR, and thus in fineness of tonal gradations, shadow noise, etc.  For image shapes like 4:3 and 5:4, the image comes from almost twice the area on a 44x33mm sensor compared to using a 36x24mm sensor (90% more to be pedantic), and with the same core sensor technology, this is likely to deliver a visible difference in some situations.
Erik Kaffehr

gerald.d

Re: 44x33mm as a good place to start before further upsizing?
« Reply #262 on: January 26, 2014, 09:21:13 am »

Optimistically, I can see 44x33mm as simply a good place to start with CMOS sensors in formats larger than 35mm, because compared to even larger formats, this has lower development and manufacturing costs, more potential customers given Pentax's choice of 44x33mm format for its 645D, all allowing lower initial retail prices.  Let us see how well it sells, and if Sony/Phase One/Hasselblad respond with further models closer to full 645 format.

In the interview on this very site, Phase One clearly state that they will be delivering FF CMOS in the future.

This is clearly just the first stop on the journey.

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
« Reply #263 on: January 26, 2014, 10:46:24 pm »

Some Dentists, Physicians, etc take better images than some so called professionals. They are also intelligent enough not to purchase blingged up equipment that has no function. The reference is getting a bit tired.
Dr D White DDS BSc

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #264 on: January 26, 2014, 11:08:26 pm »

Hi,

Quite possible. There are a lot of different photographers out there.

Just as a side note, I would say that the owner of this site is a good example, he has a lot of different cameras and knows how to put them to good use. He shoots 'everything' from 4/3 to IQ280 and publishes great pictures, here on LuLa.

Best regards
Erik

Some Dentists, Physicians, etc take better images than some so called professionals. They are also intelligent enough not to purchase blingged up equipment that has no function. The reference is getting a bit tired.
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up