Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ontario, Canada  (Read 13742 times)

DJ McPhail

Ontario, Canada
« on: January 21, 2014, 01:37:59 am »

Hello folks,

There is my first post here on Lula, my goal is to become an active member and contribute where I can.

I don't see to many Canadian locations posted here, so I thought I would reach out as I am from Ontario Canada.!

So feel free to post in here any questions on landscape locations and hot spots in Ontario, Canada! I know a fair amount about this province and should be able to provide some good advice.

Alternatively, I hope to learn of some new locations as well! So with that said, anyone else with knowledge and input on Ontario photo locations, feel free to post.!

Lets make this the Ontario, Canada thread! eh!  :P

Image attached I took a few weeks ago, it's the Horseshoe Falls, Niagara Falls.

DJ
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 01:39:47 am by DJ McPhail »
Twitter: @djmcphailphotos
Facebook: www.facebook.com/djmcphailphotography

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Ontario, Canada
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 02:05:15 am »

Hi There, and welcome to the list!  Living in Ontario, I assume you realize that it's over 1 million sq. km!  That's a lot of area to know well...  ;D

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 10:02:46 am »

Yes, welcome to the list.
Horseshoe Falls is about the only place I've been in Ontario, so I look forward to your suggestions.

Living South of the Border (Massachusetts) I have to admit to a great fondness for some other parts of Canada, especially Yoho National Park and the other Rockies parks, Vancouver Island (Mike's territory), and the New Brunswick.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

francois

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 10:38:46 am »

Welcome aboard and this wonderful image is a nice way to introduce yourself.
Francois

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 06:00:45 pm »

Welcome neighbour. There are a few of from ON, but we don't play favourites! It' sail ways great to hear from round home, but I particularly like hearing perspectives from around the globe, too.

There is no shortage of "hotspots" from your own backyard to around the province. It all comes down to what you like.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

B-Ark

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 08:42:05 am »

Ontario is not as spectacular as the Himalaya, but there is a lot of subtle beauty

Algonquin Park has many possibilities

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gristmill/884588139/

DJ McPhail

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 05:08:12 pm »

Thank you for the welcome everyone.

B-Ark, you are correct, Algonquin is a hot-spot for sure, it's beautiful there. Another PP just south of Algonquin is Kawartha Highlands Park. There are no hiking trails yet, but so many canoe routes through small lakes, very similar landscapes to Algonquin with a lot of rock barren, cedars and think forest. It is no where near as busy as Algonquin gets.
Twitter: @djmcphailphotos
Facebook: www.facebook.com/djmcphailphotography

zippski

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 12:05:42 am »

Hi DJ.  I am a LULA member from Niagara.  Where are you located?  I get out hiking and shooting [mainly] landscapes about 130-150 days per day, every year, across southern Ontario and western New York.  That's not counting the four weeks a year I spend in the mountain west of North America.

I am always on the look out for new places and things, and am always willing to disclose my secret photographic hotspots with other interested local photographers.

Leigh
zippski

Lloyd Mayeda

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 09:39:50 am »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 05:31:45 pm »

Pukaskwa National Park.
Farther than most other parks, but with rewarding views and still unspoiled.

zippski

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 12:54:04 am »

The Port Dover area is also quite spectacular at times.

Leigh
zippski

Tony Jay

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 06:53:39 am »

The Port Dover area is also quite spectacular at times
Yes, you certainly captured "spectacular!"

Tony Jay

zippski

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 08:36:45 am »

Thanks Tony.  While we don't have amazing mountains or southwest desert, there are some unbelievable photogenic opportunities around these parts.

Like, for example, Hamilton, Ontario home of more than 50 waterfalls off the Niagara Escarpment, all within a long day's hike:

Leigh
zippski

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 09:26:57 am »

Not the Short Hills, Leigh? Brings back memories.

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 01:55:48 pm »

Hey there,

I am from Flamborough and shoot in the surrounding area regularly.

500px.com/RobbieVize is where you can see some of the areas i've shot, mixed in with some of my travels as well. Welcome to LULA.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 01:19:20 pm »

Pukaskwa National Park.
Farther than most other parks, but with rewarding views and still unspoiled.

On the beach near the campground one August evening, the low sun was reflected back up by a glassy Lake Superior, lighting up the beach, the bedrock headlands, and the forest with two sources. A kid on the beach stared at the landscape and exclaimed "It's like it's CG!".

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 08:50:10 pm »

On the beach near the campground one August evening, the low sun was reflected back up by a glassy Lake Superior, lighting up the beach, the bedrock headlands, and the forest with two sources. A kid on the beach stared at the landscape and exclaimed "It's like it's CG!".

There's hope, yet, for humanity!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 05:26:12 pm »

Just got a report about "ice caves" in Crystal Beach on Lake Erie. Thousands of people were on the rarely iced-out lake this past weekend and several climbers got injured when they fell down from the icy boulders. Below is a video clip about this rare natural phenomenon:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1145937/winter-weather-carves-out-ice-shoves-near-lake-erie/

zippski

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 09:38:09 am »

My better half and I were there this past Saturday elbowing our way past the hordes of snapshooters.  While I wouldn't be hopping on a plane to visit the Caves any time soon, they are still fairly interesting to see up close.  I expect they will be not around for much longer with this week's warm-up.

I shouldn't laugh (since I realize that not everyone has the same level winter mountaineering experience that we do) but I am not sure whether to be impressed or appalled at how clueless the general public is about safe walking and travel on snow/ice surfaces.  (Think:  Atlanta drivers in an ice storm.)  Come on, we Canadians are supposed to be knowledgeable about snow and ice.  ;-))

Leigh
zippski

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 10:16:45 am »

As an urbanite (with a wife who needs comfort) who does not own a car I only dream of getting to some of the interesting landscapes in Ontario. My favorite spot is Tobermory a slender peninsula with crystal blue waters on both sides. Eroded rocky shoreline on one side and a soft sandy beach on the other.

the most spectacular spot i saw in Ontario (other than Niagara Falls) was just east of Thunder Bay:  the Ouimet Canyon Provincial Park. Google it. When i saw it 15 years ago I was astounded that it was not well known.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up