Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hot Seat  (Read 919 times)

Todd Suttles

• Hi, amateur learning my way...
    • Todd Suttles
Hot Seat
« on: January 20, 2014, 12:47:10 pm »

I shot the color, textures and shapes. Loved it that the wasp wanted to play too; animated it but was secondary to the other three.

Am including zeroed raw for C&C from any who care to comment. I have to admit that the raw is very far from the actual scene and the PP is about 30% again the saturation it was in real life. What I liked originally was the colors and shapes and the contrast between plastic and wood so I felt at liberty to enhance them with Burn, dodge and HSL panel when I was shooting it.

This is a perfect example, for me anyway, of how shooting digital has changed the way I think at shutter release. I shot this knowing I could manipulate/enhance it in Lr even though I did not know how. It is also why I keep asking for PP C&C. I knew how I wanted it to look originally a year ago but was very unhappy with my attempts at PP. Today's rendering is much closer to how I wanted it to look. Hopefully next year I will know to want even more and be able to achieve it. Your C&C is appreciated.

Thank you in advance, -t
One Day At A Time

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Hot Seat
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 01:03:14 pm »

Todd,

I think you are absolutely on the right track here. I think that most of the shots I take these days are taken with the understanding of effects that I can count on getting in post-processing. To me, this is very much like "previsualization for the digital age," and thinking about the possibilities at the time of exposure is what can lead to better photography.

I must admit, however, I still do often take fairly mindless snapshots, just because it's so easy (and inexpensive) with digital.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

davidh202

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 09:16:47 pm »

Todd,
I do like what you have presented in your enhanced version, but would have enjoyed it even more had it been crisp. It seems the right side is not as sharp as the left and exhibits some funky camera movement or weird bokeh, (evident in the wood panels especially)
David
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:18:26 pm by davidh202 »

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 10:37:40 pm »

Thanks David. 1/160 @ 1.8 ; upper left corner focus; wanted the stinger softer. Also the vinyl itself had a really neat texture imprint to surface. I didn't get as much of that as I wanted; wish had retained 1/3 or 1/2 vinyl detail;  but there is some visible in corner.
One Day At A Time

cjogo

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 10:55:09 pm »

Great stuff TODD -- wish I could shoot thinking that CS or LR is to follow.  Just so trained since the 70's to correct in the camera,,,,also coming from the school of lots of DOF -- from edge to edge.  Can't even remember shooting below f8/11 for years -- especially arty objects .. but always shot with a tripod.

Good eye ...

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 12:33:17 am »

Great stuff TODD -- wish I could shoot thinking that CS or LR is to follow.  Just so trained since the 70's to correct in the camera,,,,also coming from the school of lots of DOF -- from edge to edge.  Can't even remember shooting below f8/11 for years -- especially arty objects .. but always shot with a tripod.

Good eye ...
Thanks cjogo. I prefer tripod too. My photog friends tease me and to some degree look down on my using a tripod; something about "not being skilled enough" and "needing it". For me, it is more empowering, more options to use, not restricted by iso, shutter speed/aperture constraints. It forces me to think more and decide more up front. However... in this instance, I am limited because ALL six exposures used f1.8, only the wasp moved around and 2 brackets of shutter speed. Since that didn't really matter in this shot, if I had bracketed for aperture I would have had more DOF choices now. Lesson absorbed!

Thanks for taking the time to comment, -t
One Day At A Time

cjogo

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 12:43:47 am »

Thanks cjogo. I prefer tripod too. My photog friends tease me and to some degree look down on my using a tripod; something about "not being skilled enough" and "needing it". For me, it is more empowering, more options to use, not restricted by iso, shutter speed/aperture constraints. It forces me to think more and decide more up front. However... in this instance, I am limited because ALL six exposures used f1.8, only the wasp moved around and 2 brackets of shutter speed. Since that didn't really matter in this shot, if I had bracketed for aperture I would have had more DOF choices now. Lesson absorbed!

Thanks for taking the time to comment, -t

Wow :: the exact opposite from my friends =  The tripod definitely opens more opportunities in my art.  You work your image so much more / \  If the camera is "using" ** sounds like it is controlling your shot ??
Pages: [1]   Go Up