Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop CS6 and the pain  (Read 4840 times)

Andres Bonilla

Photoshop CS6 and the pain
« on: January 20, 2014, 02:23:18 am »

I finally went from CS2 to Photoshop CS6 64 bit and from Windows XP to WIN7 Pro, just to find out that most of my filters do not work properly or at all in Photoshop. The Net is full of horror stories of filters like Nik crashing Photoshop. It looks like only Topaz has managed to update the code properly. Most of the third party vendors updated their site with NO compatibility for 64 bit. Good thing that the install has Photoshop 32 bit and I still have CS2 installed in the old computer. It is sad that most filters like Andromeda, Nik , Optike , Lucis etc do not work with CS6 64 bit,

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Photoshop CS6 and the pain
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 02:52:47 am »

Uh...so, what are you complaining about?

If you've updated to Photoshop CC, it would behove you to download the most recent versions of the various plug-in software. Sorry, until you do so, not a lot of sympathy for users...

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 05:32:57 am »

Don't recognise your problem. I use the full suite of Nik plug-ins with the 64-bit Windows 7 and CS6 and Lightroom LR5.3. No problem at all.

(At least you missed out on the misfortunes of Windows Vista  :) )
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 11:56:07 am »

Well, I am not asking for sympathy and if you read my post I noted that alot plugins have not changed their code, they show it in their website in the compability page. I know then don't use the plugin or use it with Photoshop 32 bit, or Gimp or whatever. I am just saying that too bad these filters don't work with CS6 64 BIT.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 12:00:19 pm »

I am glad to hear that because until recently for some reason the filters were causing a lot of problems to some photogs that have just bought the suite. Great.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 12:06:35 pm »

Sorry Andres - you have simply got that wrong as far as Nik plug-ins are concerned. The current versions of the entire Nik suite work perfectly with 64-bit Photoshop and Lightroom.

Updating for you should be free unless you have missed the boat. When Google took over Nik Software, they e-mailed all registered users. Even if you only had one Nik product, you were invited to download the entire up-to-date suite for free and then when the introduced AnalogPro a few months ago, you got that automatically (whether you wanted it or not!).

The other huge benefit of the Google takeover was that the price (for those who were not already users) was slashed and they now sell the whole suite for less than just SilverEfex Pro or HDR Efex Pro or Color Efex Pro cost individually.

So I suggest that you go onto the Google Nik website and download trial versions of the whole suite and check that they work on your computer (they should) before buying them (if you have missed the freebie boat).
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Philip Weber

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 02:47:13 pm »

Hi Andres - I think you need to just make sure your plug-ins are up to date.

As a reference for you, I'm including all the plug-ins I use that work with Photoshop CS6 64-bit. FYI, my OS is Windows 7, 64-bit.

With a little work and research, I'm sure you'll put it all back together and coming from CS2, I'm sure you'll enjoy all the improvements in CS6.

All the best,
Phil

Nik: Color Efex Pro 4.0, Silver Efex Pro 2.0, HDR Efex Pro 2.0, Viveza 2.0, Sharpener Pro 3.0, Define 2.0, Analog Efex Pro.   Topaz Labs: Adjust 5.0, Denoise 5.0, Detail 3.1, Restyle, Lens Effects 2.0, InFocus, Simplify 3.0, Clarity, B&W Effects 2.1, Star Effects 1.1.  Alien Skin: Snap Art 4.0, Bokeh 2.0.  Imagenomic: Noiseware 5.0.  Photomatix Pro 5.0.  Totally Rad: Dirty Pictures 1.5.  Flypaper Textures and Frames.  onOne Perfect Photo Suite Premium 8.1.  Mediachance: ReDynaMix, Dynamic Auto-Painter 2.5.  Red Giant Software: Magic Bullet PhotoLooks 2.0, Knoll Light Factory 3.2.  Redfield Plugins: Fractalius 1.85.  Flaming Pear: Twist & Swerve.  Helicon Focus Pro 5.2.  JixiPix Premium Pack 2.0. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 11:38:14 pm »

No problem with running the latest versions of NIK and Topaz filters on PS CS5 on Win7 or Win 8.
If anything, Win 8 is much more frustrating than all those plugins.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 01:12:23 am by LesPalenik »

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 02:36:33 am »

Thank you very much! Topaz is working perfectly, Andromeda Scatterlight says it is only 32 bit, I need to find and alternative. Lucis has many instructions and I missed the boat with Nik but at $ 149 for the whole suite you can not go wrong. Now I need to try Xenoflex and AutoFx filters.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 09:35:20 pm »

FYI AutoFx told me that I needed to upgrade their filters, they do not work with CS6 64 bit but they work fine as a standalone software.
Pages: [1]   Go Up