Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Gonna Sit for a Spell  (Read 4806 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Just Gonna Sit for a Spell
« on: January 19, 2014, 09:34:37 pm »

When I walked around to the other side, he was fast, fast asleep..
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Just Gonna Sit for a Spell
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 11:39:30 pm »

Another nice one. The leaning bicycle and the shadows add a lot.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 01:40:00 am »

Very nice shot, telling the story of the hypnotizing power of large waters and the setting sun.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 02:11:52 am »

I like this.  The exposure is good and the scene is interesting without being busy.  But I want to see the subject.  I want to see where his eyes are focused, or if he's sleeping how he propped himself up so he wouldn't fall off.  I want the story first, back storey maybe later.. 
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 02:15:43 am »

It's easy to put one's self into this image, to imagine the smell of the water, the feel of the breeze and the sound of the waves lulling you to sleep.  Well done!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

cjogo

!!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 02:27:12 am »

Everything in its place .... well seen ~!

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 08:33:07 am »

Cute, Chris. And the hoodie tells you something about Florida's current climate.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 08:37:19 am »

The shadows are only nominally interesting...and the rest...generic objects.   I think the earlier thoughts...
But I want to see the subject.  I want to see where his eyes are focused, or if he's sleeping how he propped himself up so he wouldn't fall off.  I want the story first, back storey maybe later..
are mostly my issue with this. /B
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 09:36:50 am »

He was a homeless vet and the ones around here tend to get quite aggressive if you aim a camera toward them. I was on foot, he had a bicycle... Thinking, hmmmmmm four grand in camera against an equally striking photo...nahhhhh, it's all good.

"You can't always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes you can get what you need..." Mick Jagger.

And, just as an aside, the way the swing sits. if I had his eyes, I wouldn't know what he was looking at...or if he was asleep, he'd just be another homeless person sleeping...and I've seen enough of those... I wanted the guy to have some peace and I wanted a good shot. Both of us got what we needed. :-)
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 09:42:08 am »

The shadows are only nominally interesting...and the rest...generic objects.   I think the earlier thoughts... are mostly my issue with this. /B

Well, the shadows weren't dancing, that's for sure and to me, what's not generic these days...so, to me there are no issues with this photo except in your wants.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 10:00:25 am »

Chris - A couple of suggestions/thoughts re. submitting your work in User's Critiques...and asking others to spend time looking at your work and offering their opinions. Sometimes, the hardest critique to take sometimes is "this is not a good shot"....I would suggest that these critiques can be infinitely useful though. They can prevent us from wasting time processing a shot, they can force us to look more critically at our shots, cause us to think about what we might do differently next time, and many, many other plusses.

I often time show my wife (who looked at photos all her life with her dad Ted Croner, the New York School photographer - and she is a phenomenally good photo editor) - images I've shot. Hundreds of times when I've come back from a really great shooting experience she'll look at some of my work that I think might be good/great and she'll just simply say "No"..."nothing there"... "sorry" etc...and sometimes...the dreaded "eye roll". While I'm sometimes disappointed, more often than not I'm grateful for a perspective from another outside my intensely personal viewpoint.

These observations from beyond our perspectives can keep us on our toes and out of the "this is what I think I shot", "wow, you wouldn't believe what just happened"...supplying back story and narratives to photos that just aren't that good. In your last posts you again supply all sorts of narrative about the experience, but the shot doesn't tell a story. The old adage is "a picture paints a thousand words"...a problem can occur sometimes when we try and "turn that around"... /B
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 10:02:31 am by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 10:04:41 am »

Well, I wasn't the only one who thought it was a good shot, and you seem to be the only one who does not...Sorry if I don't get it...

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 10:05:56 am »

May I kindly suggest that we all, prior to posting anything on LuLa, seek a pre-approval from Brandt's wife?

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 10:37:58 am »

May I kindly suggest that we all, prior to posting anything on LuLa, seek a pre-approval from Brandt's wife?

Still a better idea than consulting Lot's wife.

My wife kept well out of that side of it. On the other hand, in the days when I used to have a subscription to Playboy, both my wife and her Mum would thumb through it and, without fail, identify accurately the three or four shots that would blow my mind.

Rob C

RSL

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 10:40:11 am »

He was a homeless vet. . .

Chris, What makes you think he's a vet?

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 03:11:56 pm »

He had campaign badges on his fatigues shirt. His hoodie was open enough to see that. It may have made an equally evocative shot from the from, but I just didn't see the point. I've seen him around the marina area more than once and he's always dressed in army gear, usually wearing a hat that proclaims him to be a Vietnam vet.

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 03:13:36 pm »

Wonderful way with animals?

Rob C

RSL

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 03:27:06 pm »

He had campaign badges on his fatigues shirt. His hoodie was open enough to see that. It may have made an equally evocative shot from the from, but I just didn't see the point. I've seen him around the marina area more than once and he's always dressed in army gear, usually wearing a hat that proclaims him to be a Vietnam vet.

Campaign badges, army gear and a hat doesn't make him a vet. You can buy that crap in any second-hand store. You can buy it over the internet. There are thousands of fake homeless vets out there who've never been near the military. When my office was in downtown Colorado Springs I'd run across them nearly every day. Just a couple questions can explode their lies if you know which questions to ask. The only way you can be sure one of these guys is a vet is if he can show you an AGO card with his picture on it or a DD form 214, and there are even some forged DD 214's around. Sorry Chris, but after 26 years and three combat tours it really pisses me off that our bleeding hearts keep pushing the idea that most vets are hoboes and most hoboes are vets. It comes from the fact that nowadays there's hardly a politician or a reporter who's been in the military. They're all easily fooled, and they seem happy to be fooled. It fits their prejudices. A vet who's a hobo is a rarity.

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 03:30:36 pm »

Campaign badges, army gear and a hat doesn't make him a vet. You can buy that crap in any second-hand store. You can buy it over the internet. There are thousands of fake homeless vets out there who've never been near the military. When my office was in downtown Colorado Springs I'd run across them nearly every day. Just a couple questions can explode their lies if you know which questions to ask. The only way you can be sure one of these guys is a vet is if he can show you an AGO card with his picture on it or a DD form 214, and there are even some forged DD 214's around. Sorry Chris, but after 26 years and three combat tours it really pisses me off that our bleeding hearts keep pushing the idea that most vets are hoboes and most hoboes are vets. It comes from the fact that nowadays there's hardly a politician or a reporter who's been in the military. They're all easily fooled, and they seem happy to be fooled. It fits their prejudices. A vet who's a hobo is a rarity.

I think Rambo did a lot to encourage that idea.

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 03:54:59 pm »

... it really pisses me off that our bleeding hearts keep pushing the idea that most vets are hoboes and most hoboes are vets... A vet who's a hobo is a rarity.

Right, Russ.

And there are no poor people (other than those who made "wrong choices"), no unemployed (only the lazy ones), no homeless (just those who prefer fresh air)... that's all "bleeding heart" propaganda.

Actually, never come across anyone claiming "most vets are hoboes and most hoboes are vets." As for "rarity," that of course depends on your definition. However, there are 150,000 homeless veterans in the U.S. If you call that a rarity, than you are right.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up