Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: lines in 11880 print  (Read 7824 times)

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
lines in 11880 print
« on: January 18, 2014, 06:43:12 am »

hi. My almost new 11880 prints  unwanted parallel  line( picture attached) . I have power clean it several times besides alignment but still I have it. Any solution please?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 07:43:23 am by alifatemi »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: lines in 11880 print
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 08:30:48 am »

Hi,

I am thinking about paper thickness, I presume you can change 'platen gap'? Just an idea, probably not a good one.

Best regards
Erik

hi. My almost new 11880 prints  unwanted parallel  line( picture attached) . I have power clean it several times besides alignment but still I have it. Any solution please?
Erik Kaffehr

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 11:17:06 am »

gap is wide

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 01:19:19 pm »

If possible could print a solid box 8" x 8" on either a new 8 1/2 x 11 sheet or a 24inch roll?  It looks like from the picture you trying to print an alignment pattern.  I am curious what the printer does on just a solid. 

You mention it's almost new I would also get Epson involved if there is warranty left. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Some Guy

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 01:38:53 pm »

I get some slanted printing from my 3880 head striking the edge of the curled paper.  Some thick BC paper curls badly from the sides and the head knocks it sideways while passing through the rollers.  Sometimes it looks like a ghost or double image.  I've since retired the BC Silverada paper too as the ink also seems to bleed into other colors as well on it when I make the profile charts.

Try printing the square box idea above, and with a very flat thinner paper, and see if it improves.

SG

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 02:00:09 pm »

Mostly printing on Hanemuehle 60" canvas with wide gap that problem accrued then shifting to simple thin plain paper, after some test the problem solved but when getting back to canvas, it started printing those lines again, cleaning the head for several times but did not improve it just sometimes even in canvas, there is no problem at all sometimes there is. it seems it is randomly happens. maybe some software bugs!?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 02:40:51 pm »

Heres how I see it, printed lines have nothing to do with a clog, i.e you are getting ink out.  You either have some ink that has gotten over the head (possible with too many cleanings especially power type), and the pad where the head rests is totally saturated with ink.  To fix this, you need to pull the head off the resting pad and literally soak up the excess.  Pec pads do very well for this as they leave no residue.   Excessive number of cleans IMO do more to damage the printer than help.

Or, you are seeing head strikes due to the platen gap being set to wide.  On the 9900 you have standard, wide, wider, widest.  With canvas you need to be at wider or even widest or you will have head strikes in the non printed part of the print or even over your print as it seems like you have in the alignment pattern. 

Move the platen gap to widest or wider and see if that helps.

The only downside I have found to the wider platen gaps is that you can get faint banding in the darker colors but head strikes are much worse looking. 

Set the platen gap on the printer's end, not in the computer as I have always felt one will over ride the other.  Don't mess with the platen gap setting in the driver when you print.  Also make sure your media setting is Canvas.  I believe this allows on the 11880 with the latest driver, but I may be wrong as I don't have one. 

This is one reason I have standardized on one canvas company and use both their glossy and matte canvas varieties.  Once you get the printer dialed into a specific type/brand a leading company should be able keep the canvas pretty much the same over time (exception to this is glossy).  Remember also, Epson makes no paper, i.e. they don't run a mill.  Their branded paper/canvas is all jobbed out and it does change over the years.  Epson Exhibition matte/glossy canvas  is an example.  My point is standardizing on a Epson paper/canvas is moot since Epson doesn't make them and they will change them without notice.  Epson glossy canvas since 2007  has made by many different companies and has totally changed it's look and feel since the canvas was shipped in 2007.  I still have a roll from 2008 and it was made by a Swiss company, I am very certain that throughout most of 2012 and 2013 it was made by a U.S. company. 

Working with a company that owns a mill is always a good idea if possible.

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 03:05:04 pm »

Paul,
How do we find out information on which companies own mills
I'm having issues with my epson R3000 printer and is in the shop for repair.,
Cost of this repair,is 1/2 the total cost of the printer,yes,I was out of warranty.
My 3 favorite papers are:
Ilford Galeria Gold fiber silk
Canson Platine
Harman{Hahnemhuhle} Gloss Art Fiber.
I was advised by the repair tech ,to use a wider Platen setting when using theses papers?

Mike

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 03:59:00 pm »

Breathing Color has their own mill, they sell both paper and canvas, both under their name and possibly re-branded for other companies.   From talking with various company officials over the years, I know they make their own:

Canvas matte and glossy
Matte paper, Optica 1 and their latest offering without OBA's
Fine art 600W paper matte

It's my understanding they don't make either of their RC line or metallic line of papers. 

I also don't know if they are milling the latest version of the Vibrance Rag, now called Vibrance Baryta and made from Alpha cellulose instead of 100% cotton.

The other paper company I use the most is Canson and I don't know if they own a mill or not, but over the last 4 years, their paper has been very consistent. 

Moab is my main RC paper source but I don't know about their milling either. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 04:11:18 pm »

Thanks Paul,
I know Canson paper comes from one of the oldest paper mils in France,and has been in existence for a few hundred years?{correct me if I'm wrong on this},at least ,thats what I read on LL.
I've also started playing with Moab/RedRiver papers,and I like them a lot,especially,the Moab Entrada Rag Natural

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 04:21:50 pm »

That's my understanding on Canson also at least on the paper side.  Not sure on the canvas side, but for me their cost is just way too high on canvas. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

BrianWJH

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 04:47:46 pm »

Not sure on the canvas side, but for me their cost is just way too high on canvas. 

Paul

Hi Paul, it depends on geographic location, here in Australia I can buy Canson Infinity PhotoART HD Matte Canvas 10% cheaper than BC Lyve.

That may be the case elsewhere outside the USA in Europe for example.

Brian.

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 05:16:09 pm »

Erik,
Why do you feel that changing the platen gap to wide ,is a bad suggestion?
The repairman ,whose doing my R3000,strongly suggests that I widen the gap on most of my selected papers,especially the Platine ,and the Harmon.
What am I missing here???

davidh202

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 07:19:08 pm »

under warrantee... CALL EPSON ...this is not a platen gap or dirty head problem
I really wish people would see and read what the OP has said in this post and quit giving wrong advice!

A dirty head dragging on the paper or head strikes due to a wrong platen gap, would leave gobs and smears, not even parallel lines!!
David
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 07:20:51 pm by davidh202 »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 07:51:45 pm »

I actually did read it and I agree he should call Epson.  However head strikes I have gotten from this family of prior printers look just like what he is showing.  They don't leave globs but instead lines or brief streaks when the head hits the material.  This is especially true on canvas where if the platen gap is too narrow the head is dragging on the media.  On pure white media where the majority of them show then you will get faint ink marks as even though the nozzles may not be firing there is bike around the head that creates the mark.  If this is new printer there should be a smaller amount of ink build up. 

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 09:36:41 pm »

David,
First,maybe you should calm down a bit.
I did read the OP,3x's.
I called Epson a number of times,regarding the huge blobs of black ink that were being deposited on my paper,and the Epson customer service rep,had no idea what the cause of this could be
As you probably know,epsons customer service people,while some are very good to great,others,well-SUCK.
On my R3000,one of the parts had to be replaced,{I think it is called the ink advanement switch??}Many service people have notified Epson of this issue,and,for some unknown reason,they have failed to do anything about it,except advise customers to send the printer in for repair.,which can be a heavy/expensive ordeal.
My printer was /is out of warranty.

The name of my repairs service is:
Ardito's/ Epson Repairs,located about an hour from my home.,in West Islip,NY
When I explained the issue over the phone,prior to my actually driving out there,he knew exactly what the issue was ,before I even finished,telling him the problem.
When I got there,the entire shop was loaded with Epson printers,of all varieties and sizes,most,with the same issue as the OP posted.
2 technicians,including the owner of the shop-Ronald Ardito,told me"If you continue to use these heavier papers,you MUST adjust the platen gap to wide/wider ,or,use thinner paper"

If anyone would like to talk/e-mail  Ronald Ardito,here is his info
phone- 631-661-7281
e-mail-ron@arditos.com
Might I suggest,that some people in this thread call Arnold,he is a pleasure to deal with,more than likely he will isolate this problem and,advise from there
He will want to see what paper you are using,& see the prints that are damaged,with streaks/blobs of ink-so.don't discard
For the original poster--as suggested before,contacting Epson might be your only choice-Good Luck.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:45:47 pm by pikeys »

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 08:03:33 am »

Thanks Paul, I chose widest and canvas on printer side but didn't help just strange matter is that it just happens with Hahnemuehle 60" and not Hahnemuehle 24" or sheet. we test several times the same results. Just that my inks are almost 6 month out of date.

davidh202

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 08:51:26 pm »

UPDATE PLEASE!

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 11:21:11 pm »

A technician from Epson checked the machine, he is suspicious of main board . it takes a week or so to order new one and change it to see if it can solve. I still have no problem on up to 44"print but still when I load 60" paper, it starts again no matter if I send full width photo or cropped smaller one, say 20"

Garnick

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 09:26:30 am »

Hi again,

I believe the first mention of this problem ONLY showing on 60" material was in your post before the latest one.  That had not been mentioned before and is very likely a major point to be considered.  Again, just a thought..have you tried increasing the paper suction setting when using 60" paper or canvas.  If this is indeed a head strike problem it seems reasonable that perhaps the wider material isn't as flat as is should be as it travels through the print path.  Therefore the higher suction setting might possibly help.  I'll admit that perhaps my thinking on this is way off base, but somehow it seems logical to me.  I'm not familiar with that printer, but if it resembles the 9900 at all the paper suction can be set either in the driver or on the printer control panel.  In the driver the the default setting is "Standard" and from there you go to minus numbers.  Not sure about the control panel, I've never had to reset that.  Something to consider perhaps.

Gary 
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up