Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod recommendation to pair with Arca Swiss D4 head  (Read 4619 times)

ajitmenon

Tripod recommendation to pair with Arca Swiss D4 head
« on: January 17, 2014, 11:15:52 am »

So I found this great deal on ebay for a like-new Arca Swiss D4 geared head. As most of you guys know, it is a difficult item to order because of lack of availability and having had the chance to try one a short while back, I decided to bite the bullet and get it. My question now is if you have any recommendations for a tripod to pair it with.
I will give you some background of what I do and have done. I currently shoot primarily landscape with a D800 and mostly prime lenses like the 24 and 45mm pc-e, Zeiss 21mm etc. My longest prime is a Zeiss 100mm. My current tripod/ head pairing is an Induro CT-014 with a BHD0 head. As you can see, it's a pretty light and no frills setup.  I do like to carry my gear with me - 4 to 5 lenses in a backpack so the lighter the tripod/ head, the better.

I do find my tripod decent for most needs but recently, I have been in situations where a stiffer/ more stable tripod would have been better (and now that I have a fancy D4 head too).
I find the Induro legs to "give" and bend  a bit while setting up; this makes it a bit scary when setting up on delicate areas like a rock edge/ rocks on the shore etc. I imagine a stiffer tripod would feel a bit more safe and secure.

The other situation I would like to compensate for a bit is windy situations. I've been in windy sitations (top of the Storr and Neist point in Scotland) and suffice it to say, those conditions are scary, let alone taking photographs. I know a heavier tripod would be more stable but my question is this: would a stiffer carbon fibre tripod like the GT1542 or so be a slightly more secure option? Or any other recommends?
Hope some of this makes sense of sorts...

Sheldon N

Re: Tripod recommendation to pair with Arca Swiss D4 head
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 05:02:57 pm »

The GT1542 is way too small to do what you want it to. I'd recommend a 3 series carbon fiber Gitzo, any from the current lineup would be good or find a nice condition used one from a prior generation. 

Really Right Stuff tripods are excellent, the 3 series would be even nicer than the 3 series Gitzo, and the 2 series would be a good sturdy yet lighter tripod.

Personally, I'd try to hunt down a used Gitzo 3530LSV for around $500ish.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

ajitmenon

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 06:12:07 pm »

Thanks Sheldon.
The gitzo 3 series seems to be the general recommendation.
I also posted in fredmiranda and I got similar suggestions. RRS was also suggested but there seem to be some quality issues stated in other forums.

I'll look into the series 3 but do you think series 2 traveler might cut it too?

mhospelt

• Michael Hospelt Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 06:16:10 pm »

The Gitzo GT2541 would do the job too.Hang your backpack on the hook if it is windy.

NancyP

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 06:18:25 pm »

Gitzos have lots of fans, but I tried something different and I am happy with it. If you are looking for a less expensive new tripod, I can recommend the Feisol CT 3472 or 3372 highly. Carbon fiber, weight approx. 4 pounds, largest leg diameter 38mm, good strong legs, big milled aluminum spider, top plate designed to hold at least 90mm diameter heads. I got legs without column (plus steel spikes, which are significantly heavy), but you can get a short or long column or leveling base if you desire. It is a very substantial piece of kit, but very light. It has screw-clamp leg sections - some people strongly prefer flip-lock clamps on their tripod leg sections. I use an Arca Swiss Z1sp on it. It is a good setup for long exposures (astrophotography, landscape under the full moon, etc).

If you like the Induro travel tripod you have now, the largest Induro tripod is about the same size as the Feisol. I have an Induro medium monopod CM25, it is good, and it does get an overload test now and then as an emergency hiking pole.

Sheldon N

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 06:33:54 pm »

I broke a Feisol before getting a Gitzo. 

With the weight of the D4 head, I'd want a tripod that was a little more substantial underneath it. 2 series Gitzo would work, but I'd recommend 3 series if you're shooting outdoors and dealing with wind/water/etc.

If you're on a budget, I'd look at a used Gitzo 1325 (older 3 series). But you're getting a D4 head, so you're not on a budget are you? :)
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Torbjörn Tapani

Re:
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 08:08:27 pm »

Benro C3780T would fit the bill. I have the larger 4780 and that is seriously solid with a huge max load but a bit large to carry around. The numbering follows gitzo more or less. 37xx is like the 3 series systematic.

Lightsmith

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 07:02:48 pm »

The tripods I have bought all had a hook under the center column and I hang my camera bag off this hook. It does wonders for increasing the stability of the tripod. No need to have a heavy tripod for wind.

If you decide to get into shooting panoramas the quick leveling Gitzo tripod 2531 LVL makes setup very fast. It also has the hook off the center column for hanging a camera bag or taking an empty sandbag and filling it with rock in the area and hanging it off the tripod.

I avoid doing photography when there are high winds as it blows dust and sand around and it moves any foliage around as well. The day after a period of high winds is the time to go to take pictures.

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 10:02:13 pm »

I have and use a 3 Series Carbon Gitzo, Arca Swiss B-1, with a D800 and lenses to the 200 end of the 70-200 f/2.8. I've not seen a carbon fiber tripod, regardless of brand that is safe to use in real wind without something hanging from beneath the center post, with or without a center column. I have the center column but use it only in the studio for precise adjustment under controlled and stable (no wind in the studio one would hope). I am no physicist but it seems eminently clear that a weight, sandbag or backpack, suspended from beneath is way better than the heaviest carbon tripod.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 12:18:26 am »

Hi,

In my case I have an RRS Versa TVC 33S and a TA-3-LC leveling base. I agree it's a bit top heavy.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 07:59:31 am »

I have a Gitzo 2541, 3541xls, and the RRS 24L. Arca Cube is on the 3541, D4 on the RRS 24L, RRS BH40 on the 2541. Personally I feel the Gitzo 2 series is a bit small for your setup, especially given your concerns about windy conditions. From what you describe I believe the 24L would be the best tripod for the D4. The design details on the 24L are exceptional, and the legs feel as sturdy as the Gitzo 3541. They are larger in diameter but thinner. It is definitely lighter than the cube/3541, but it does have a good hook under center, and the feet are much better than the standard Gitzo feet. So I think performance in the wind would be similar.

I am surprised at the comment about RRS quality issues. It appears very good to me, but I have not owned the 24L very long. It does have a 5 year warranty on materials.

Dave

Edit: I see you might be referring to the locktite question in the other Gitzo/RRS thread. RRS is now shipping their tripods with blue locktite, and instructions on how to apply it once you've set the desired leg tension.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 08:04:28 am by dchew »
Pages: [1]   Go Up