Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing Workflow  (Read 1801 times)

huguito

Printing Workflow
« on: January 16, 2014, 07:04:41 pm »

My membership to Adobe includes Lightroom.
I am currently use Bridge/ACR/Photoshop.
I read/heard that the printing workflow from lightroom is easier or better streamlined.
Can anyone explain the main differences between using Lightroom/Photoshop or my current combo of Bridge/ACR/Photoshop?
Thanks

Hugo

colinm

Re: Printing Workflow
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 07:40:14 pm »

The biggest advantage to the Lightroom Print module in my mind is that everything's in one place. If you're trying to prep a file in Photoshop, you're probably bouncing around between a half-dozen dialog boxes and menu items. In Lightroom, you switch to the Print module, and it's all right there, in order, in the sidebar.

Additional benefits, off the top of my head:
  • Resampling is streamlined. You don't have to fight the dialog box like you often do in Photoshop; if you want an 11x17 at 300, you plug that in—once—and you've got it.
  • Print sharpening is built into Lightroom, meaning you don't have to sharpen manually or use (and keep up-to-date with) a plugin.
  • Lightroom displays a user-defined list of ICC profiles. If you only print on two papers, you only have to see two paper profiles, not every ICC profile (print or otherwise) registered on the system.
  • Layout options! No messing with the canvas. You want a 6x9 in the middle of an A4 sheet with uneven borders, you move a couple sliders and you've got it. You want two images on one page, Lightroom puts two images on one page.
Colin

huguito

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 07:44:55 pm »

Thanks a lot.
Those are the answers I was looking for.

Does Lightroom changes in any permanent way how I have my library of pictures and folders arranged ?

Hugo

colinm

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 07:59:59 pm »

That's up to you. It can organize your files for you, or it can simply use them where they are.
Colin

John Chardine

• chardine photography
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 08:11:09 pm »

I find Lr5 to be excellent and I was a naysayer for a long time. The Print module is really good as mentioned. Lr has a vast array of training resources available to you on the web. This is one on the Print module from Adobe's Julieanne Kost:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1svDvqBwpPI

mseawell

• Mark Seawell's Photo World
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 06:25:14 am »

Or you can take a look at Qimage. The Qimage Ultimate edition is light years :) ahead of lightroom for printing purposes. I would rate the printing experience out of LR 5 on a scale of 1-10 at 8. I would rate Qimage ultimate as a 9.5. It is DEFINITELY a step up. Only works in windows, no Mac edition. http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage-u/index.html

Mark

RachelleK

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 11:23:16 am »

Or you can take a look at Qimage. The Qimage Ultimate edition is light years :) ahead of lightroom for printing purposes. I would rate the printing experience out of LR 5 on a scale of 1-10 at 8. I would rate Qimage ultimate as a 9.5. It is DEFINITELY a step up. Only works in windows, no Mac edition. http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage-u/index.html

Mark

Could you say why Qimage is better?  I have it and find the user interface very difficult to use.  In addition, if you work in Lightroom you have to export a large tif or a few other types) of files for Qimage to use.  Lightroom seems a lot easier.  I only use Qimage now for a few problem prints.
Pages: [1]   Go Up