Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Toughest MK Paper? Abrasion resistance question  (Read 2204 times)

narikin

Toughest MK Paper? Abrasion resistance question
« on: January 16, 2014, 11:11:16 am »

Can anyone recommend a tougher MK paper - something a little more resistant to abrasion?

I make large (40x60" and up) prints, and MK papers like Epson's Hot Press/Cold Press series are impossibly fragile to deal with, especially when you have to roll them and take to a framer.  Are Canson Rag Photographique or Hahnemuhle Ultra Smooth any better, or is there perhaps another brand that has a much higher resistance to handling than the big names?

Appreciate that the inkset & gloss optimisers has a role to play in this, and maybe Canon or HP are better than my 11880, but it is what it is in that regard.

(ps, I do not wish to spray them)

TylerB

• my photography
Re: Toughest MK Paper? Abrasion resistance question
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 01:47:45 pm »

actually I find the Epson papers you mention more physically durable than most other fine art matte papers, and I've used the vast majority of them. Therefore robustness doesn't play that much of a role in choosing fine art papers.
Unfortunately delicacy is just part of this process.
Tyler

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 05:14:37 pm »

That's one of many reasons I went to canvas, you can kick it up and down the stairs a few times with no problem.

Recent Lexjet Sunset Select and Canson PhotoArtHD batches have been yielding great looking prints whether coated or not, that are in the same league as the Epson "press" papers, and unfortunately with about the same amounts of OBA's.  And if you care to put some coating on them, ooooh-weee and bye bye Mr. Glass!  But profiles are everything, and both those media have manufacturer's profiles that are dreadful, so make your own.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 07:53:42 am »

I have yet to find any matte paper that is very durable i.e. scratch resistant at least from a Epson printer standpoint.  I tend to spray all my matte prints with Print shield.  This gives you a slight amount of protection and seems to help in the dreaded flaking off effect that seems to happen, either from a slight piece of dust on the paper that was printed on or the actual inkjet receptor coating having a flaw. 

I have had good luck with the Epson Hot press bright recently in some larger prints I made for a client.  The other paper I use quite a bit is Optica One, which does have OBA's but I still love the look and the totally smooth finish.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Gary Damaskos

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 12:32:07 pm »

Hey guys -
Krylon Kamar provide better protection???
I am inclined to think so - but no proof, just think so.

narikin

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 05:53:02 pm »

To repeat, I do not wish to Varnish/spray them. 

I guess no real option exists for Matt paper with some durability, so back to PK, it must be.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 07:06:51 pm »

Sorry, I missed your PS On not spraying.  Just curious why you don't want to spray?  Print shield leaves no residue or gloss to the print.  You still have the matte finish just a lot more durable.  I can't imagine trying to roll up a matte print without some sprayon protection as just the process of rolling will tend to scratch them.  Print shield that I use is in a aerosol can and very easy to spray.  No need for something like a HLVP sprayer.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

MHMG

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 10:36:19 pm »

Sorry, I missed your PS On not spraying.  Just curious why you don't want to spray?  Print shield leaves no residue or gloss to the print.  You still have the matte finish just a lot more durable.  I can't imagine trying to roll up a matte print without some sprayon protection as just the process of rolling will tend to scratch them.  Print shield that I use is in a aerosol can and very easy to spray.  No need for something like a HLVP sprayer.

Paul

I find little abrasion resistance improvement with print shield... fade resistance yes, but not abrasion resistance. All Fine Art matte papers designed for high gamut aqueous inkjet printing seem to be inherently susceptible to abrasion (visually noticeable surface aberrations also called "scuffing") unless a thick coating that dramatically alters their visual appearance is applied. Print Shield is too thin a top coat on matte paper to impart any significant abrasion resistance even though it does significantly decrease the photo oxidation chemical mechanism that causes pigment colorant fading.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 10:45:56 pm by MHMG »

jferrari

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 12:10:20 am »

What kind of vehicle are you using to bring the prints to the framer? The point being that maybe the problem is rolling the prints for transport. After they have come off the printer and allowed to out-gas for the appropriate length of time simply place a piece of release film on the printed surface and sandwich between to pieces of MightyCore or similar. Clip the sandwich together with standard binder clamps. All of these materials can be reused a number of times. I'm sure you get the idea.
Nothing changes until something changes.

narikin

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 09:31:57 am »

I find little abrasion resistance improvement with print shield... fade resistance yes, but not abrasion resistance. All Fine Art matte papers designed for high gamut aqueous inkjet printing seem to be inherently susceptible to abrasion (visually noticeable surface aberrations also called "scuffing") unless a thick coating that dramatically alters their visual appearance is applied. Print Shield is too thin a top coat on matte paper to impart any significant abrasion resistance even though it does significantly decrease the photo oxidation chemical mechanism that causes pigment colorant fading.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

Agreed.  It needs to be a thick varnish to protect against abrasion, and then that takes away the original point of using MK papers - its lovely surface.  I also have the problem that my print room is a windowless basement, so the vapors of spraying would take weeks to go. It is simply not possible for me.

Back to PK! 

On another note, I am surprised at the lack of progress in inkjet papers over the last 2 years.  We seem to be working with the exact same range of papers as we were in 2011/12.  Hahnemuhle, Harman, Canson - all their ranges are identical. Its like they quit R&D, though I very much doubt that!

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 01:24:47 pm »

Everyone's mileage will vary.  I fine that a couple of coats of print shield helps to prevent a light scratch and definitely helps prevent brush off problems.  Brush off seems to happen with matte paper more often than PK.  This where a small spot of the receptor coating pulls off leaving a pure white spot or during the printing a small amount of trash got on the paper And was printed over.  When framing and making a cleaning pass with a brush it's very easy to pull these off.  Depending on where this happens in the print it may something that can be touched up or not. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up