Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Rangefinder - new video  (Read 19159 times)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
The Rangefinder - new video
« on: January 16, 2014, 10:12:55 am »

I have just published a new video titled "The Rangefinder: Truth, Mystique & Practice - Leica M240"

In the Purple store, do a search for 'Rangefinder'

It should appear in customers' subscriptions in about 24 hours (01/17/2014)

The video is made up of a three segment discussion on Rangefinders between Michael Reichmann, Sean Reid of reidreviews.com and Mark Dubovoy. It was shot on location in Ithaca, N.Y. in the Spring of 2013.

At an hour & twenty minutes, this wide-ranging discussion looks in detail at the Leica M240, the Fuji X-Pro1, focussing techniques, Window Viewfinders and Electronic Viewfinders, a comparison to DSLRs, the use of R lenses on an M Leica, the suitability of Rangefinders for new photographers, the cost of Leica and others, a recent history of Rangefinders since the advent of SLRs, Rangefinders use for 'quiet' or 'stealth' pohotography, a look at what's new in the M240 over the M9, the shortcomings of the M240 - in the varied oipinions of the three participants, Leica lenses, their 'mystique' and finally, the use of Leica M mount lenses on other cameras.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
Re: The Rangefinder - new video
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 03:47:56 pm »

Thanks, Chris. As a rangefinder shooter I'm looking forward to this.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 04:27:13 pm »

Owning a Mamiya 7 II and a Fuji X-E2 I'm curious what you have to say about this type of camera.
Looking forward to see it.
Especially since I don't own a television ... ;)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 07:13:51 am »

But why the X-Pro 1? It's not a rangefinder.
Ah yes, I probably should have called it a WindowFinder camera with AutoFocus  ;D

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 11:17:39 am »

Ah yes, the Bandersnatch's 2nd Cousin: the Rafl-Wif-Waf - vorpal sword to the M240!

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 09:18:34 pm »

Should the video already be in the LuLA application that comes as part of the yearly subscription ? It does not seem to be there yet.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 11:07:46 pm »

Yes it is there - but you may need to select Refresh owned products from the gear icon top right. It appears in the middle of the listings after the Palouse - or do a search on 'Range'
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 11:16:33 pm by Chris Sanderson »

Harald L

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 04:22:36 am »

I have just published a new video titled "The Rangefinder: Truth, Mystique & Practice - Leica M240"

In the Purple store, do a search for 'Rangefinder'

It should appear in customers' subscriptions in about 24 hours (01/17/2014)

It doesn't appear so far which leads me to the question why your valued subscribers are being served later than others.

H
Glad to be an amateur

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 04:30:20 am »

Hi,

I don't see it either…

Best regards
Erik

It doesn't appear so far which leads me to the question why your valued subscribers are being served later than others.

H
Erik Kaffehr

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 05:52:51 am »

For me it works.

I have used / been using Mamiya Press, Mamiya 7 ii and now Fuji X-E2 as rangefinder / rangefinder type cameras. I don't count compacts here.
For me the most interesting part was the last part where Michael, Sean and Mark discuss the subjective feelings towards the rangefinder type cameras.
Having started photography with an SLR (Nikon FE, which has been sold long ago) in about 1983,
switched to the Mamiya Press later (as cheapest MF option for me at that time) and now using a Mamiya 7 II and a Fuji X E2,
I have similar feelings about using this type of camera - I love them.
A similar emotional experience (for different reasons) I only had when I had a loaned Sinar 4x5" camera for a week.
Using a Nikon D700 for a private assignment in 2012 I couldn't really connect to that camera, though the images came out well.

When I ask my self "why?" I think the less bulk and unbtrusiveness (Okay the Mamiya Press was a tank, talking about the Mamiya 7 ii here)
is a main factor for me. The "Big Window" viewfinder doesn't do too much to me - I prefer the EVF of the X E2, which gives me the image
I get on chip later and allows for long lenses (300 mm equivalent - try that on a Leica ...)
The (acoustic) noise level being significantly lower than on SLRs and the camera cases being clearly smaller together with access
to lens designs (Biogon type symmetric wideangles) not working on an SLR I think the features that make it for me are identified.
And there still is this nose issue (thanks to Fuji for their design of the "X" cameras).

Concerning my shooting experience with the X E2 - small case, fast responsive camera, OIS,
fast autofocus, low shutter noise, non-tormenting the nose to me it appears to be a
perfect street shooting machine and great synthesis of old viewfinder and modern electronic features.
An X-Pro 2 with the features of the X E2 (fast phase detection AF!) would probably become my personal wet dream.

Okay - time to end rave mode

The bottom line is:
Anyone thinking about buying a camera and feeling unsecure about rangefinders/non-SLRs should see this video.
I personally find it a bit too much a Leica show (not entirely though), and concerning the history
some important cameras (Like the Mamiya 7) are missing but however - a tribute to the rangefinder class is a good thing to have.

Maybe talking of "rangefinder" at all is not the right term in these times since the classic rangefinder device is not what makes it these days.
"Finally no more mirrors" might be the more appropriate description of this camera class (seems CSC is the term used now):
  • Less bulk
  • Little noise only
  • Lack of mirror slap
  • Longer lenses available
  • Little things: Macro work possible
  • Laufbilder: Video and Burst Mode AF profits having no more mirror.
  • Last but not least: Healthier noses!!!

(Why does every item on this list start with an "L" ??? /me scratches head)

Cheers
~Chris
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:55:26 am by Christoph C. Feldhaim »

Harald L

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 06:50:50 am »

For me it works.

For me it still doesn't. Are you a subscriber or did you buy it in the LuLa-store?

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 07:16:24 am »

I have now had half a dozen similar complaints. I have contacted the Purple help people as should you.

When the video shows up, it does so as seen in the screengrab below: after The Palouse and before the first of the numbered Camera to Print & Screen videos.

Chris
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 07:18:51 am by Chris Sanderson »

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 07:43:01 am »

For me it still doesn't. Are you a subscriber or did you buy it in the LuLa-store?

Harald

I'm a subscriber.

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 11:49:13 am »

I have done the refresh and still a no go. Very odd. Any other way to try this ? Is there some database file that can be deleted and rebuilt ?

svein

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 01:26:49 pm »

I have done the refresh and still a no go.
Same here, happened with the Rørslett interview too.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 01:32:54 pm »

Purple are working on it

JerryKlink

• Bay Photography
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 01:34:23 pm »

Hi Chris,

I'm having the same problem with not finding "rangefinder".  It does not show up in the Luminous Landscape Shop, as will.
Might this be a filter problem, i.e. "Showing products 51 to 65 of 65, filtered from 66" msg. at bottom of store site.

Jerry

gfioravanti

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 02:31:05 pm »

We apologize for the trouble encountered finding this new course.  This has been fixed!  Please try refreshing your player libraries and it should appear.

If you encounter any further trouble finding this, please contact us at support@platformpurple.com and we can look further into your account.

Thanks,
Grace

Platform Purple

svein

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 02:34:39 pm »

This has been fixed! 

Thanks, works now.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 03:58:16 pm »

Hi Chris,

Bought the Rangefinder videos and downloading them all now, but can I suggest an idea for you and Michael to perhaps think about?

As the old LLVJ type format now seems to have gone by-the-by and the fact that many of us quite enjoyed Michael's intro and description section for all the previous LLVJ's, would it be an idea for Michael to provide us with a short intro video discussing the content of each new release as it gets released? You could then make this short intro/description video available as a free download on the main page, which would then act as a great advert for all the new releases, as well as giving us all an idea what's in each new release.

Just an idea, but I sort of miss Michael's LLVJ intros and with the current system, I also think some potential buyers might be put off from purchasing, if they don't fully know what it is they are being offered, until after they have bought it.

Dave
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 07:30:22 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up