Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OK, where would you go for about a 24 hr period in the northern Florida Keys?  (Read 1703 times)

Mjollnir

We have about a day, maybe day and a half to spend, over-nighting at Tavernier harbor, and I've never been to anywhere but Miami before.

Most interested in interesting beach/seascapes, dead trees in water, etc...

Not really interested at all in wildlife.

Thanks!

andaremos

• Andaremos

It may be a bit of a drive from Tavernier but Bahia Honda State Park has the nicest beach in the Keys. It is located after the Seven Mile bridge.
I was going to suggest a kayaking adventure in the backcountry but if you are not into wildlife or fishing it may not be an option.
I am not into wildlife myself but I have chased a few birds in the mangroves around the John Pennekamp Park and other areas and I enjoyed it.
Now is a good time to go deep in the backcountry as cooler, drier weather keeps the mosquitos in check.

- Eduardo
www.andaremos.com - Travel and Nature Photography

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs

A lot of the most interesting scenes need to be taken from the water. Think about hiring a fishing guide for a half-day (including the early morning) to take you around.

elf

New York  ::)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald

We've booked a couple of nights at Clyde Butcher's bungalow in behind his gallery east of Ochopee right in the middle of the Everglades area (but outside the parkĀ”. This was recommended to me by my brother in Naples. If you've never seen Clyde's photography, it is a "must see" - he's the Ansel Adams of Florida. Have a look... He has swamp walks and Everglades safaris as well.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos

If you're goimg to the Keys, go Scuba diving or snorkeling at least.  Borrow or buy an underwater camera an have a ball. Key Largo of the famous Humprey Bogart movie and Bertie Higgins song fame is the closest to Miama and has the first National Underwater Park.    Check out my movie slide show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T56A_kRqilA

delaphotography

We have about a day, maybe day and a half to spend, over-nighting at Tavernier harbor, and I've never been to anywhere but Miami before.

Most interested in interesting beach/seascapes, dead trees in water, etc...

Not really interested at all in wildlife.

Thanks!

Not sure if I'm to late for you but I have some good spots for you. I have a small gallery in Key West, I know the Keys very well.

Islamorada is probably your best bet. Just north of it there are a few really small keys that have publicly accessible beaches. Try Anne's beach. Most of the water front is privately owned so it hard to get access. Hotels and restaurants will provide you the easiest access. Lazy days Restaurant is a good spot too. Hawk's Cay is another resort that sits on a nice piece of water front, but you might hassled by the hotel "police"...

If you want more info please feel free to contact me at delaphotography@yahoo.com
Jorge de la Torriente
Modern & Minimalist Fine Art Landscapes - www.delagallery.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up