Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Palma de Mallorca - Street shooting  (Read 3576 times)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Palma de Mallorca - Street shooting
« on: January 15, 2014, 04:05:10 pm »

One day of my visit to Mallorca last year I spent in Palma to do some street shooting.
Here is a selection.
If you like them and want to see the whole series check here.
The last image is from my departure day from the airport.

Cheers
~Chris

Into the light

Evasion

Lady and shadow

Airport waiting and yellow

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 04:20:09 pm by Christoph C. Feldhaim »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Palma de Mallorca - Street shooting
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 04:07:45 pm »

Lady and shadow is good, Chris. The others are nice tourist shots.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 04:15:10 pm »

75 % miss rate - ouch!  ;)

AFairley

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 05:11:19 pm »

I like #1 too, the running pair adds something.  I would level the horizon, though, no sense in having it skewed.

Michael Haspert

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 06:01:34 pm »

I like Lady and Shadow, a lot. I also like Ladies and Shadows on your Flickr and wonder why you chose not to post it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 06:10:45 pm by Michael Haspert »

cjogo

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 08:08:35 pm »

Lady and shadow  = in B&W  .. would win me over ..

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 04:29:05 am »

You should know better by now, Chris; 75% miss is excellent for anybody! I used to feel smug with one out of 36 being good.

A calendar out of 50 or 60 cassettes was good shooting in anyone's book. It's work, Chris, it's always work - only sometimes you can enjoy working.

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 06:01:28 am »

You should know better by now, Chris; 75% miss is excellent for anybody! I used to feel smug with one out of 36 being good.

A calendar out of 50 or 60 cassettes was good shooting in anyone's book. It's work, Chris, it's always work - only sometimes you can enjoy working.

Rob C

Err ... ehem .. yes ... but this was already a selection ... though definitely not a 1 out of 36, more like 30-50 %.
I mean - why press the shutter when throwing it away later?

I also tried something a bit different with this series:
Basically no b/w (its always easier to get some cool effects with b/w - color is more challenging imo) and
I left contrast almost at the out of camera level to retain a sort of unexcited, more documentary look.
I didn't want to blow up the images too much in color and contrast - that is also the reason why I intentionally did no b/w conversion with the lady and shadow image.
Since I have this digital camera I realize a dramatic boost of color and contrast in my work, which has two sides,
good an bad and I want to preserve my abillity for differentiation and the use of not so over the top tones and effects.
So - the series and the way I edited it also reflect this process of change where digital image capture and the new tool play a very important role and I am trying to adapt to it and find my way.

Cheers
~Chris

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 06:39:34 am »

Err ... ehem .. yes ... but this was already a selection ... though definitely not a 1 out of 36, more like 30-50 %.
I mean - why press the shutter when throwing it away later?

Cheers
~Chris

Experience, Chris: it might be the best shot you get at it! Better a so-so than zilch. So-so can mean somebody else's dream come true. And unless there's a certain percentage of 'somebody else' in the mind regarding one's images, and in pro work there always has to be, there really is no point in printing or showing anything at all. I've repeatedly suggested that for myself, the shooting is actually the buzz. And no, it wouldn't work with an empty camera: that would be seen as self-deception.

;-)

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 09:15:43 am »

Nothing wrong with nice tourist pictures.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

amolitor

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 09:30:04 am »

It's not that the others are bad, it's that Lady and Shadow is awesome. Just LOOK at that thing!

The shadow reveals the bag, which is a jolly bit of fun there, and the shadow of her phone hand looks like it's holding the thing on the ground, which is another bit of fun. Apart from the fun, there's just wonderfully strong geometry and design in the thing. It's really great. Well done!

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 04:22:53 pm »

I like #1 too, the running pair adds something.  I would level the horizon, though, no sense in having it skewed.

Fixed!
Usually I'm quite meticulous concerning levelling but this one evaded me.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 05:49:33 pm »

Fixed!
Usually I'm quite meticulous concerning levelling but this one evaded me.

That fountain in the background: 'twas in my Vogue shoot in Palma. By pure good fortune, we were given a space under some raised grassy knoll - a low room for storing gardening tools - by some workmen so that the girl had somewhere to change. Normally, we'd just do what had to be done wherever we could do it...

The Borne reflected lost days of glory: several closed hotels and apartments, with a few seedy mock-Roman cafés selling stupidly priced drinks and poisonous snacks. The far left side of your shot used to be a narrow, one-way street running from the fountain up towards your camera; I drove along it once not knowing it had been pedestrianised; getting the hell off it through some bollards was exciting... and you wonder why I avoid Palma? Did you catch any flower-selling gypsies? Perhaps the fuzz moved them all away - they used to try to sell you product, their accomplices picking your rucksack the while. As I never in my life carried rucksacks, the target would have been the wallet in my jeans, but I don't do that anymore either: as you age and your bum vanishes, things drop out of hip pockets when you sit down, so now it's a bag across the shoulder and body. Case Logic looks good in green.

;-)

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 06:20:57 pm »

I like Lady and Shadow, a lot. I also like Ladies and Shadows on your Flickr and wonder why you chose not to post it.
I like it too, but I didn't post it, because I thought of it being a variation of the single lady shot, just in plural, and I think the single lady shot is better.

That fountain in the background: 'twas in my Vogue shoot in Palma. By pure good fortune, we were given a space under some raised grassy knoll - a low room for storing gardening tools - by some workmen so that the girl had somewhere to change. Normally, we'd just do what had to be done wherever we could do it...

The Borne reflected lost days of glory: several closed hotels and apartments, with a few seedy mock-Roman cafés selling stupidly priced drinks and poisonous snacks. The far left side of your shot used to be a narrow, one-way street running from the fountain up towards your camera; I drove along it once not knowing it had been pedestrianised; getting the hell off it through some bollards was exciting... and you wonder why I avoid Palma? Did you catch any flower-selling gypsies? Perhaps the fuzz moved them all away - they used to try to sell you product, their accomplices picking your rucksack the while. As I never in my life carried rucksacks, the target would have been the wallet in my jeans, but I don't do that anymore either: as you age and your bum vanishes, things drop out of hip pockets when you sit down, so now it's a bag across the shoulder and body. Case Logic looks good in green.

;-)

Rob C

YAY !
Seems I finally got you to Palma - at least virtually.
;)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 06:34:01 pm by Christoph C. Feldhaim »
Pages: [1]   Go Up