Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 6D Review after 1+ Year [video review]  (Read 11842 times)

Graham Clark

• grahamclarkphoto.com
Canon 6D Review after 1+ Year [video review]
« on: January 15, 2014, 03:38:01 pm »

Just about a year ago I posted a review of the Canon 6D Review here. At the time I had about 3 months of hands-on experience.

After a year later of consistent landscape and travel photography with the 6D I decided it might be a good time to do something a little more comprehensive. I recently got back from a 3+ month trip to 30+ National Parks in North America, and lots of hands-on experience with the 6D.

YouTube review: http://youtu.be/h-2hOV0MaBk  (does anyone know how to embed on LL?)

I uploaded 5.6GB of hi-res TIFFs (no watermarks) and quite a few H.264 low-comp videos (unedited). Click here to view: http://www.6dreview.com/

Just over a year ago the Canon 6D was announced as the smallest and lightest full-frame SLR in the world, and naturally as a landscape and travel photographer I was quite intrigued by the ultralight factor so I got one of the first copies to ship. I had my doubts as the marketing and photography community had words like budget and economy wherever the Canon 6D was mentioned. Price wasn't part of my decision making as I own all the 5D-family bodies and the Nikon D800e, I just wanted it for the lightness and smallness factors.

A super high level overview of my Canon 6D Review:

- I've printed up to 40x60 and the quality is indistinguishable between the 5D original all the way up to the 6D - that is to say, excellent
- It's rated for 150,000 shutter actuations, since recording the video I've now put on 250,000. Awesome! But why so many? Star trail and time-lapse, and  I'm also writing an article on battery performance and needed to let one of my cameras run until the batteries died
- Autofocus is the Canon 6D's worst and best feature. 11 AF points may not be enough if you shoot 80% or more fast action images. But the -3EV is currently the king of lowlight AF performance. I rely on this for accurate low-light AF with ND filters and long exposures. Great for travel & landscape photography.
- WiFi is essentially useless for photographers who rely on intervalometers. Canon user experience team was fired or something...
- GPS is a game changer for certain photographers, but again, Canon user experience team completely messed this one up by not including an idle shutoff time option = GPS remains on even when camera is turned off = camera dies.
- Of all the different cameras I own this one is with me nearly 90% of the time. I do quite a bit of printing, and at large print sizes I'm seeing the same quality as the other cameras and this one is lighter. I actually prefer the simple AF system on the original 5D, 5D2 and 6D, and the -3EV for AF lock is great and incredibly practical for those who shoot in low-light.
- GPS setting the date and time in and of itself is hugely valuable for me as I travel quite a bit. Remember when you had to manually adjust date and time in Aperture or Lightroom? Well you never have to do that again, and that's a huge timesaver for me.

From my experience with both the 5D3 and the 6D, the only major differences I usually notice are:

- Lower AF points on 6D
- No GPS on 5D3
- No WB displayed in 6D LCD... Canon used the precious real estate for WiFi OFF... they pulled another print button on us :|
- 6D is lighter and has better balance. Once you use 6D for a while, 5D3 seems heavy and bulky, less comfortable in the hands

In addition I also created a Canon 6D PDF review that has tons of information and quite a few hi-res images, which can be downloaded here: http://www.6dreview.com

If you have any questions don't hesitate to leave them below. Alright, to close out I'll post some 6D captured images I've taken in the past few months. Thanks for reading everyone, and if you have questions let me know below! : )

Graham Clark  |  grahamclarkphoto.com

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Re: Canon 6D Review after 1+ Year [video review]
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 04:07:09 pm »

Awesome review, excellent job!!

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 04:49:42 pm »

I just bought a 6D a couple of months ago, and I'm very happy with it. But now your review makes me want to sell my house and get out on the road shooting full time.  >:(

Vladimirovich

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 09:31:41 pm »

But the -3EV is currently the king of lowlight AF performance.
I am sorry, but lowly m43 cameras do -4EV and do that in any spot in 80% of the frame... any light spectrum and w/o AF adjustments... wheres 6D does only one center AF spot and F2.8 precision.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:33:40 pm by Vladimirovich »

Graham Clark

• grahamclarkphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 09:46:49 pm »

I am sorry, but lowly m43 cameras do -4EV and do that in any spot in 80% of the frame... any light spectrum and w/o AF adjustments... wheres 6D does only one center AF spot and F2.8 precision.

My intended audience for this review is landscape photographers using 24x36mm CMOS equivalent sensors:

It was not intended for cinematography, phone cameras and ultra-small sensor DSLRs. :|

jrsforums

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 10:04:03 pm »

Ahhh....how fast is that m43 AF?
John

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 03:49:25 am »

Very nice work, thanks for the write up and the review. Indeed the 6D hits a sweet spot in terms of price-performance for travel photographers.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 04:24:32 am »

nice images, thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Bernard

NancyP

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 06:45:25 pm »

Very nice images. Once again, this proves that the important elements are the eyes and brain, not the camera model. (Chorus to this song: bbbbbut... why don't my pictures look like that.....)     ::)

You put your dream trip to wonderful use, and I appreciate your sharing of images and experience.

I have had my 6D for approximately 6 months, and it has most of what I want and has few things that I don't want. It feels good in my hands, and is the same size, weight, and similar layout to my first DSLR 60D. I now use the 60D mostly for birding (APS-C format plus 400mm lens) and casual use (I have a fine all-purpose APS-C 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, and I don't have a zoom for FF). Fancy AF isn't something I need for the uses to which I put the 6D. My favorite lens (21mm) is manual. My fill-in-the-focal-gaps full frame legacy lenses are 35-40 years old and all manual. I just love live view magnfication.

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 07:01:35 pm »

Very nice images. Once again, this proves that the important elements are the eyes and brain, not the camera model. (Chorus to this song: bbbbbut... why don't my pictures look like that.....)     ::)

Yes, almost all of the photos I've sold were made with either my 20D or my 40D, with the odd 4X5 thrown in here and there. I love my MF cameras more than all the rest (I have a serious Rolleiflex TLR "issue"), but apparently the images I make with them don't impress my buyers very much.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 11:54:16 pm »

Ahhh....how fast is that m43 AF?
don't change the subject... the claim was about low light...

PS: and how fast and precise is your 6D in a corner of a frame @ -4EV w/ F1.4 lens ?  ;D oh, wait, it can't focus at all... poor baby.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 11:57:38 pm »

My intended audience for this review is landscape photographers using 24x36mm CMOS equivalent sensors:
yes, indeed, let us invent some extra requirments ("24x36") to exclude the real kings of low light focusing  ;D ... because you might be surprised but people do landscape photography w/ cameras having sensors less than "24x36" (which is not the real size of the imaging area, btw).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:59:21 pm by Vladimirovich »

Graham Clark

• grahamclarkphoto.com
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 04:33:20 am »

yes, indeed, let us invent some extra requirments ("24x36") to exclude the real kings of low light focusing  ;D ... because you might be surprised but people do landscape photography w/ cameras having sensors less than "24x36" (which is not the real size of the imaging area, btw).

lol.

francois

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 05:24:46 am »

Thanks for this review… Informative with plenty of superb photos.
Francois

allegretto

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 09:31:33 am »

don't change the subject... the claim was about low light...

PS: and how fast and precise is your 6D in a corner of a frame @ -4EV w/ F1.4 lens ?  ;D oh, wait, it can't focus at all... poor baby.

yep, I tell ya, I'm constantly noting that my subject of primary regard is way in the corner. And there is no way for me to compensate for it... not!

do you actually sit around and think about this? Does it happen to you that you have subject in the corner? You do know about manual override, right?

I also have 6D as one of my cameras and agree with the OP, it is great. But I'm no fan of any manufacturer. Use Sony and Leica, daughter (9 yr old and already using sliders in PP) uses Oly. They are all good...!

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 03:34:01 pm »

Lovely shots, Graham.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 01:02:03 am »

Pay no attention to the butt-hurt, green with envy, nerd-raged internet trolls ;)

RobertJ

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 05:23:52 am »

You have serious issues.

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 09:53:16 am »

Graham: great little article and a wonderful body of work. Congrats on an amazing trip as well, and thanks for sharing.

- N.

ps. @Vladimirovich: what on earth would possess you to interject a tangential and irrelevant argument about nothing into a thread featuring another  photographer sharing *thousands* of hours of experience and dozens of beautifully crafted images with the readership?? Please don't do that here.   
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Vladimirovich

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 11:42:06 am »

ps. @Vladimirovich: what on earth would possess you to interject a tangential and irrelevant argument about nothing into a thread featuring another  photographer sharing *thousands* of hours of experience and dozens of beautifully crafted images with the readership?? Please don't do that here.   
what has the images to do with the wrong claims ? the topic was about camera and false claim was made that this camera is a champ in low light focusing - it is not by a great margin... more so for landscape focusing  ;D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up