Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mt. Timpanogos Sunset  (Read 1448 times)

chris cramer

Mt. Timpanogos Sunset
« on: January 15, 2014, 02:11:55 pm »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Mt. Timpanogos Sunset
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 02:28:33 pm »

A beautiful moment and a beautiful photograph. However, I can not help wondering if it appears a bit faded, the blacks that is, as if taken in mild fog.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 02:37:58 pm »

A beautiful moment and a beautiful photograph. However, I can not help wondering if it appears a bit faded, the blacks that is, as if taken in mild fog.

I agree with both sentiments. I also think there's a bit too much sky. The interest is all in the lower half of the photo and the upper, fairly featureless dark sky really adds nothing.

Jeremy

chris cramer

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 02:40:27 pm »

Thanks guys. I was going for the rule of thirds on this one in composition. Using 2/3rds negative space.

The sky isn't black, but dark blue/grey. If you're referring to the foreground, well yes, i guess that isn't black either haha.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 02:55:42 pm »

Thanks guys. I was going for the rule of thirds on this one in composition. Using 2/3rds negative space....

I concur with that.

... The sky isn't black, but dark blue/grey. If you're referring to the foreground, well yes, i guess that isn't black either haha.

No, the sky shouldn't go black, obviously. However, the lowest part of the foreground (I think I can discern two levels there) can safely go there, even if it is not totally black in nature. Why? Because once the real world gets transposed into a two-dimensional thing, without its smell, breeze, cold, etc., the "2D thing" (photo) requires its own set of esthetic tools in order to convey the original feeling of being there. One of those tools is a silhouette. It is also a good rule of thumb to have a least some spots of pure black in the picture. Even if you would go HDR for the foreground, it would still benefit from setting a black point for at least a few spots.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 04:41:18 pm »

A little blacker wouldn't hurt. I do like this sky.

Pete Berry

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 10:48:25 pm »

What a gorgeous sunset, with extraordinary color on the mountain. I do agree that pulling the black input level in a bit with mid-tone brightening would diminish the slightly veiled effect, but the mountain might explode!

Pete

francois

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 03:19:05 am »

Lovely and glorious colors on the mountain and in the sky. The 1/4 upper part of the sky doesn't add much.
Well done.
Francois

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 03:42:42 am »

I think the top part of the photo, with the darker sky, echoes the darker bottom part of the photo, therefore providing a nice "closed" frame.

Lovely colours.
Pages: [1]   Go Up