Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Removable tape for inkjet print?  (Read 2238 times)

Some Guy

Removable tape for inkjet print?
« on: January 15, 2014, 12:40:37 pm »

I was applying some gel to an inkjet print and used what I thought was a low-tack 3M drafting tape to mask the area.  It stuck badly and left residue all over, as well as bit is the tape itself in places.  Didn't come off well at all and completely wrecked the print surface.

Anyone have a better choice of tape that can be used on the surface of inkjet prints and not bond so tight?

Tia.

SG

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Re: Removable tape for inkjet print?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 01:07:25 pm »

Have you tried the blue colored “painters’s tape” that is available at most paint and hardware stores? Generally it comes off cleanly. There is also Scotch brand “Removable Magic Tape" (811) that will probably do the job.

Some Guy

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 01:27:37 pm »

Have you tried the blue colored “painters’s tape” that is available at most paint and hardware stores? Generally it comes off cleanly. There is also Scotch brand “Removable Magic Tape" (811) that will probably do the job.
Thanks.

I just looked online at the Scotch #811 and it says "Safe for Photos."  I wonder though about the bartya paper surface as they seem to come off with some tape.  I need to try that blue tape too.  I think I even saw a green one out there somewhere too?

That drafting tape residue is really a mess as it seems to affect the ink itself and leaves marks.  Not recommended at all!  Some of it might be the gel that is stuck to the surface and also a bit stuck on the tape itself so it pulls the image too when removed.

SG

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 02:02:42 pm »

Of the 2 I mentioned, the 811 has an extraordinarily mild adhesive so that would be my vote for the one likely to leave no residue. I use the blue stuff when taping canvas to a temporary underlayment, and that occasionally laves a little residue, but only because glamour 2 gets applied to the top of the tape.

But do you care to share what clever thing you are doing that requires masking part of the surface?

colinm

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 03:59:02 pm »

How long was the tape on the piece? In the 3M artist line (I don't know how their drafting tape compares), "low tack" is only valid over short-term use. For throwing on some masking and immediately removing it, it'll work beautifully. Leave it on there for a few days and it'll put up a fight.
Colin

framah

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 04:57:21 pm »

Almost all of the ink receptors on ink jet papers are delicate enough that it is not a good idea to put tape on ANY image you want to remain undamaged.
Better bet is to get really good at doing whatever you are doing freehand.

Go buy a roll of the 811 and see if it sticks to a scrap piece. This is the tape we use to mask off a mat without the tape damaging the top layer of the mat tho there are some mat colors that even the 811 will pull fibers up.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

smjphoto

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 08:27:55 pm »

The 3m blue tape comes in different types. The one with the orange hub is for more sensitive uses. I still think it leaves residue, but it is less likely to pull off the finish.

Some Guy

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 09:25:47 pm »

The 3m blue tape comes in different types. The one with the orange hub is for more sensitive uses. I still think it leaves residue, but it is less likely to pull off the finish.
I learned about that today in fact.

First roll of 3M Scotch blue tape pulled up the black ink.  It seemed pretty tacky.  Went back to store and the girl said "The blue tape comes in 5-6 different tack strengths."  It's on the cellophane in Spanish with some dots called "Mucho Adhesive" or something.  One red dot out of the 6 marks the strength level or tackiness of the roll.  However, no luck there either as it pulls the ink as well.

Found the Scotch 811 and pulls too.  Fiber based papers seem worse for damage.

I did find some tape made by Post-It at a blueprint shop that is a much lower tack strength, much like their yellow Post-It labels.  It comes in varying widths from 1/8" to 1" wide.  The 1/4" seems to do the less damage to the surface of all stuff so far.

I was even contemplating "Handi-Wrap" cut into strips as maybe being the least tacky and damaging - if the static cling would work.  ???

SG

framah

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 11:28:49 am »

How about using magnetic tape and pieces.
 The stuff they make door signage that can come off the car... use a big piece of that under the art and then use a strip of the stuff on top.

I'm just pulling ideas out of  my secondary orifice.

Who knows, it might even work.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 07:35:41 pm »

Do you have to have an adhesive?  Can you just mask the edge with a sheet of paper held in place with a weight?  Not clear what you are doing...

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 08:25:20 pm »

Another possibility is to use the lowest tack tape of those you’ve found and apply and remove a piece a few times to something fibrous to effectively reduce the amount of adhesive.

Alternately, cut the tape into 1/2 or 1/4 the standard width and then follow the sentence above.
Pages: [1]   Go Up