Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: calibration question  (Read 1576 times)

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
calibration question
« on: January 15, 2014, 12:02:55 pm »

For the first time I'm getting a very green white balance when trying to calibrate my monitor. I mean it's a green screen when it should be gray. I see this happening as it's checking the initial white balance and it starts adjusting the monitor. Think it's changing to green as it checks and sets luts the first time.

my settings for the calibration:
D65
gamma ; 2.20
intensity ; 80 cd/m2
contrast ratio ; monitor default or sometimes 250:1
color gamut ; native full

I've got a NEC 2690wuxi. Use an i one display 2 x-rite puck. Spectraview II v.1.1.16.01.

This on a mac, system 10.8.5

I've tried a search on this forum and haven't found my problem. Is this common? I have just used an older target to get back to 'normal' color for the meantime.

My monitor is nearly four years old. Same for the puck.

Thanks for advice.

M

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Re: calibration question
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 12:16:37 pm »

Sounds like your i1D2 puck may have just gone bad. They do that, and the final calibration looks green when they do.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 12:28:56 pm »

Sounds like your i1D2 puck may have just gone bad. They do that, and the final calibration looks green when they do.

Hi Scott...wondering, if this is the case, what you might suggest as a replacement. Need to see if these old pucks are still sold. May want to research a more modern one right off the bat. I guess I'd want the puck to work with my current monitor. But also, down the line, maybe the newer pa242/272 models? This might be too complicated though. Not sure the spectraview II software would work with the new monitors. Think I need to do some research.

Thanks

M

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 12:57:12 pm »

Hi Scott...wondering, if this is the case, what you might suggest as a replacement.

The i1D3 - aka i1 Display Pro. Will work with any model.

Need to see if these old pucks are still sold.

They haven't made them for a while but some places might have one off the self. I wouldn't bother - just get the new one - it's much better.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:15:35 pm by Scott Martin »
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 01:01:56 pm »

I've got a NEC 2690wuxi. Use an i one display 2 x-rite puck. Spectraview II v.1.1.16.01.

That's good as the software can allow you to alter the white point over the Green/Magenta axis and that might be all you need depending on how severe the cast is. Not many products provide that control. In SpectraView, go into the custom White Point UI. You can start with the Visual Match area and play with the Green values OR by zooming in on the central white point of the CIE xy diagram in SpectraView. This will give you an idea of how changing the x and y values will impact the white point. i.e. if the screen is too green, you want to move the white point down and to the right, so +x and -y. Make small adjustments (i.e. 0.002) and recalibrate. Worth trying that before you decide your instrument is due for the trash can.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 02:21:45 pm »

Scott, thanks so much for the puck info...

Andrew, I'll give that a shot, I've never played with that custom white point UI......but dang, it's way off in color...

Shutterbug2006

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 01:22:42 am »

My puck went bad last year, apparently the old ones have color gel filters that go bad as time marches on.

The new 1IDisplay Pro won't break the bank, and X-rite claims these new ones won't go bad with the same hardware issue.

I recently bought an LED-backlit LCD monitor and the old device wouldn't have worked anyways.

Highly recommended.

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 07:21:57 am »

thanks shutterbug...i'm gonna buy the i1 display pro...just doing some basic research so i know what i'm buying...see they're between 170 and 195 euros here...
Pages: [1]   Go Up