Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Wacom tablet ?  (Read 9105 times)

Alan Matuka

• Alan Matuka Photography
Which Wacom tablet ?
« on: January 15, 2014, 02:59:47 am »

Which Wacom tablet ?

For some time now I have been thinking about buying Wacom tablet. Since I have no experience with pen tablets I don't know what are the real differences between models. It seems I'll choose between Intuos 4 Pro and Intuos pen & touch, both medium.
What are the differences ? Responsiveness to pen movement and pressure, do they all use same pens...

Rand47

Re: Which Wacom tablet ?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 09:11:18 am »

My first tablet eas the Intuous 4 "medium."   It was much too large for photo editing IMO.  I almost immediately made the active portion of the surface smaller.  

I'm now using the 5 "touch" wireless in the small size which I find perfect.  

Rand
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:13:53 am by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 09:18:15 am »

The model you refer to (Intros 4) is outdated. Wacom offers the basic  Intuos line of tablets that come with a pressure sensitivity of 1024 levels and a wireless add on option. The Intuos pen and touch model in medium sells for $199.

http://www.wacom.com/en/us/creative/intuos-m

The Intuos Pro medium tablet sells for $349 and comes with touch and pen sensitivity (2048 levels), wireless connectivity built in as well as programmable function buttons.

http://www.wacom.com/en/us/creative/intuos-pro-m

The pens are model specific and not interchangeable.

I formerly owned the Intuos 4 medium tablet (before they had touch sensitivity) and moved on to a Wacom Cintiq monitor.  I also own the Wacom Cintiq Companion portable tablet, which is a powerful Windows 8.1 standalone computer.

You need to decide what would work best with your workflow.
Gerald J Skrocki

jrsforums

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 09:57:37 am »

The model you refer to (Intros 4) is outdated. Wacom offers the basic  Intuos line of tablets that come with a pressure sensitivity of 1024 levels and a wireless add on option. The Intuos pen and touch model in medium sells for $199.

http://www.wacom.com/en/us/creative/intuos-m

The Intuos Pro medium tablet sells for $349 and comes with touch and pen sensitivity (2048 levels), wireless connectivity built in as well as programmable function buttons.

http://www.wacom.com/en/us/creative/intuos-pro-m

The pens are model specific and not interchangeable.

I formerly owned the Intuos 4 medium tablet (before they had touch sensitivity) and moved on to a Wacom Cintiq monitor.  I also own the Wacom Cintiq Companion portable tablet, which is a powerful Windows 8.1 standalone computer.

You need to decide what would work best with your workflow.

Just to give a different, personal, experience.

I have both the intuos 4and 5 medium tablets.  I have found that the pens are interchangeable as is the mouse (which you get with the 4, not the 5).

I, again personally, hate the touch...and turn it off....and it sometimes surprises me, causing strange, unexpected behavior.  I am sure it is how I interact with the tablet.

I also got an end life small 4....for presentations.  I have found it is just as usable as the medium.  So if space is an issue, that might be a good option.  Since I do not heavily use the tablet keys, the small is not a issue there.

Hope this helps you decisions....
John

Alan Matuka

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 10:13:50 am »

Thanks for your replies...
Just as I posted the question friend of mine said he bought Intuos5 large ( A3, as they call it ), tried it twice and decided to stick to pen and paper - he does storyboards. Also, he's willing to sell it for $ 350.
Well, the question is - is it too big to handle, and would it be better to go for small or medium to start with ?

I guess I'll have to try it, and bare in mind that most people find it hard to work with and give up alltogether - and that is something I don't plan on doing.

Rand47

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 11:34:53 am »

I would encourage you to "test drive" the large tablet for photo editing.  My experience tells me that it is way too large (the actual "drawing area") to be useful.  YMMV of course, but bigger isn't always better. 

Also, I most often turn "touch" off while doing actual photo editing "brush work," but it is great in other applications and while sorting, selecting photos etc.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Some Guy

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 01:42:26 pm »

Anyone with a Intuos tablet know of a camels hair brush that can be used with the thing?  I absolutely hate the feel of the Wacom pen tool as well as the odd placement of that toggle switch in the handle, and I have to use my other big hand to hold it to toggle it.  Just doesn't feel right against a real artist's brush.

I bought one for a touch screen and it doesn't work well at all with the Intuos tablet.  Takes a lot of pressure to even make a line.  Looks like graphite in the brush itself.  Has a nice weighty brush feel to it, but it just doesn't work.

SG

Rand47

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 02:08:53 pm »

https://store.wacom.com/us/accessories/pens

They have quite a variety, perhaps a different style will work for you. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

jerryrock

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 02:20:09 pm »

Anyone with a Intuos tablet know of a camels hair brush that can be used with the thing?  I absolutely hate the feel of the Wacom pen tool as well as the odd placement of that toggle switch in the handle, and I have to use my other big hand to hold it to toggle it.  Just doesn't feel right against a real artist's brush.

I bought one for a touch screen and it doesn't work well at all with the Intuos tablet.  Takes a lot of pressure to even make a line.  Looks like graphite in the brush itself.  Has a nice weighty brush feel to it, but it just doesn't work.
SG

The Wacom pens ARE model specific. With the correct stylus for your tablet, the pressure sensitivity is fully adjustable with the accompanying software.

The Intuos Pro pen will only work with the following models: Intuos Pro, Intuos5, Intuos4, Cintiq 13HD, Cintiq 22HD, Cintiq 24HD, Cintiq Companion, Cintiq Companion Hybrid

https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/KP503E?

The Intuos pen and touch pen will only work with these models: Intuos Pen & Touch Small, Medium, and Manga(CTH480, CTH680)

https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/LP180ES?

The Intuos small pen is specific to this model: Intuos Pen Small Tablet (CTL480)

https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/LP180S?

There are legacy product pens that are made for the older models too.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 02:21:41 pm by jerryrock »
Gerald J Skrocki

jerryrock

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 02:26:22 pm »

Thanks for your replies...
Just as I posted the question friend of mine said he bought Intuos5 large ( A3, as they call it ), tried it twice and decided to stick to pen and paper - he does storyboards. Also, he's willing to sell it for $ 350.
Well, the question is - is it too big to handle, and would it be better to go for small or medium to start with ?

I guess I'll have to try it, and bare in mind that most people find it hard to work with and give up alltogether - and that is something I don't plan on doing.

I would not buy the used large Intuos tablet for $350. You should always go with the latest technology and the same money will get you a new Intuos Pro medium tablet with the upgraded pen, wireless ability and touch technology (that can be turned off if you don't like it).
Gerald J Skrocki

Alan Matuka

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 03:58:32 pm »

I would not buy the used large Intuos tablet for $350. You should always go with the latest technology and the same money will get you a new Intuos Pro medium tablet with the upgraded pen, wireless ability and touch technology (that can be turned off if you don't like it).

But his tablet is the latest technology, it is Intuos5, and virtually new ( or used twice, as owner said ). It looks like I'll get it for few days ' test drive ' to see if it suits my needs, and that's fair...

jrsforums

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 04:35:27 pm »

The Pro and the 5 come with the same grip pen and touch technology.  As I remember, you could get a kit for the 5 for wireless.

That said, the large is LARGE.  I think you would find the small/medium plenty big.....and require less arm movement.
John

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 04:53:39 pm »

I have the Intuos 5 small touch with wi-fi. During ~20 years of professional work I've been using Art Pad II, Graphire II, Intuos 3, and now Intuos 5 touch - all in smallest format, I consider working with small tablet as most efficient. I wouldn't use it for sketching/drawing/painting, but for me it's perfect size for retouching and working with PS/LR/Ai/ID.

I'd take the smallest Pro - it's a perfect, robust workhorse with a very nice feel and responsiveness. I love the touch ability, as I don't have to use my left hand to make gestures on the rMBP trackpad, so I can work even faster.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 04:55:58 pm by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa
Pages: [1]   Go Up