Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slot canyon near Boulder, Utah  (Read 911 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Slot canyon near Boulder, Utah
« on: January 14, 2014, 05:56:38 pm »

This slot canyon near Boulder, Utah, was one of the great treats of our recent trip. Ir's off the beaten path and we had half an hour there all alone, perfect silence and beauty. No photograph could do this justice, but this is my best attempt.

davidh202

Re: Slot canyon near Boulder, Utah
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 08:28:10 pm »

I like it Peter, the light is lovely. Just my opinion ...
I feel that there is too much blue sky and draws my eye  away from the tree, instead of  the tree getting the attention that I think it deserves. I tried cropping square and removed the top area just below the sun glare on the right cliff edge. If it were mine I would title it "Seeking the Light"
David
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:33:23 pm by davidh202 »

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 09:34:02 pm »

+1.

Lots of neat things around Boulder to shoot, especially along the Burr Trail.

Years ago in fall the cottonwood in many of these slots and alcoves were spectacular, both back lit and during the blue hours. It was like a candy store...
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 04:03:46 am »

This slot canyon near Boulder, Utah, was one of the great treats of our recent trip. Ir's off the beaten path and we had half an hour there all alone, perfect silence and beauty. No photograph could do this justice, but this is my best attempt.

I assume this is the one you recommended I visit, Peter, and I can see why! It's a really good shot. I agree with David that removing the top would be a Good Thing, focussing attention where it should be focussed.

Jeremy

dbolt

• Photos by Doug Bolt
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 10:50:53 am »

I like the image, but agree that the sky is a bit dominant.  Rather than cropping, you might try selecting the sky and apply the selection as a mask to a B&W-Auto conversion (assuming PS).  Then reduce the opacity to about 50%.  The sky will retain the same color, but not so much "in your face" allowing the tree to shine.
Doug Bolt
http:\\dougboltphotography.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up