Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can citizen C1 be saved?  (Read 3945 times)

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Re: Can citizen C1 be saved?
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 11:20:02 pm »

Yeah, C1 is a difficult animal to tame, but once you get used to the UX, there's no going back. I only wish that they improved the DAM aspect of it.

Agreed, I like it and its a powerful program too.   Color editor, skin tone editor, apple script functions etc.   Anyone that tethers will appreciate how much better C1 is than LR for that function. I do not mean any disrespect for LR because I do use it as well and like some features it has better - for example the LR print engine is simply great!  

Rolleiflex USA

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 11:23:07 pm »

Agreed, I like it and its a powerful program too.   Color editor, skin tone editor, apple script functions etc.   Anyone that tethers will appreciate how much better C1 is than LR for that function. I do not mean any disrespect for LR because I do use it as well and like some features it has better - for example the LR print engine is simply great!  

I have only tried tethering with the D800 on LR and it was a crapshoot.
I refused to pay Nikon-tax and get Nikon's own tethering tool, so I used an open source alternative. The UI was terrible, but it worked decently.

I have tried tethering with multiple brands on C1 and it worked flawlessly.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 11:27:59 pm by synn »
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Joe Towner

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 11:39:02 pm »

I do wish they'd accept other medium format digital cameras, I know Phase has no desire to help their competition, but I think they'd actually gain share in medium format if they opened it up and let's face it adding Leica wouldn't cut into any Phase or Leaf sales.   
I think Hasselblad needs to give up on Phocus and work a deal for C1 support.  I mean, C1 knows the Kodak sensor already, and actually won't support a Hasselblad 3FR converted to a DNG by design (it reads into the metadata and drops it).  It would be nice to see C1 become the standard for tethered MF shooting. 
t: @PNWMF

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 12:20:08 am »

Yeah I use Phocus too for my CF 528 and also Flexcolor as well for micro step.   I don't think Phase or Leaf ever had a multishot back actually so not sure if they are 100% ready to take on the hasselblad files.  I think I also used Flexcolor for my DMR files at one time but C1 does okay with those. 

I would be nice to have one program work with all the files.
Rolleiflex USA

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Can citizen C1 be saved? Have seen some real advantage on C1
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 12:27:10 am »

Hi!

I have seen a couple of areas where C1 has real benefit over LR5.

In the images below C1 is on left and LR5 on the right. Note that thin lines shift in colour on LR5 but not in C1. In the sample LR5 produces more moiré, and in my experience C1 is better at surpressing moiré.

Best regards
Erik
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:07:34 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 12:32:07 am »

Hi,

Enjoy your S2!

Best regards
ERik
Erik Kaffehr

torger

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 05:56:21 am »

I like when there are alternatives, and I think it would be very sad if we'd see the same Adobe near-monopoly for raw conversion as there is for photo editing (ie Photoshop). It's not healthy for the industry or for users.

I don't know about the economy side, but it could be the case that Phase One is actually making money from C1, right. And then there's nothing to worry about. If they only make C1 to support their Phase One backs and actually lose money on the product itself I'd be a bit worried.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 05:58:03 am by torger »

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 06:40:21 am »

I like when there are alternatives, and I think it would be very sad if we'd see the same Adobe near-monopoly for raw conversion as there is for photo editing (ie Photoshop). It's not healthy for the industry or for users.

I don't know about the economy side, but it could be the case that Phase One is actually making money from C1, right. And then there's nothing to worry about. If they only make C1 to support their Phase One backs and actually lose money on the product itself I'd be a bit worried.

I see C1 is to P1 as OS X is to Apple. Just a means to complete the ecosystem. The core revenue comes from hardware.

Unlike Apple, they are actually making money from it and that's good.

torger

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 07:15:20 am »

I see C1 is to P1 as OS X is to Apple. Just a means to complete the ecosystem. The core revenue comes from hardware.

Unlike Apple, they are actually making money from it and that's good.

Does anyone actually know this, I mean are there public numbers out there?

If C1 was only to support their hardware I'd imagine that it would be more like Phocus, ie only working for their own cameras and not bothering with supporting lots and lots of DSLRs. There's quite some effort in supporting new DSLRs so I imagine they wouldn't do it if they weren't making money from DSLR users too.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 07:54:35 am »

Does anyone actually know this, I mean are there public numbers out there?

If C1 was only to support their hardware I'd imagine that it would be more like Phocus, ie only working for their own cameras and not bothering with supporting lots and lots of DSLRs. There's quite some effort in supporting new DSLRs so I imagine they wouldn't do it if they weren't making money from DSLR users too.

I don't think private companies ever share such info. Hell, even Canon and Nikon are cagey about a lot of their numbers.
As far as anecdotal evidence goes, almost everyone that I have seen shooting tethered does so via C1.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up