Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Packaging and delivering large prints  (Read 6991 times)

tjphototx

Packaging and delivering large prints
« on: January 14, 2014, 02:05:19 pm »

Another question I have regarding large printing such as 30"x40" or 40"x60" prints. I have been delivering the prints to my framer sandwiched between two pieces of foam core larger than the prints with layers of tissue to protect the images. This isn't very attractive. Do you have any suggestions for a more attractive way to package and protect the prints for local delivery? What about shipping large prints how do you deal with that?

Regards,
Thom Jackson

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: Packaging and delivering large prints
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 02:44:36 pm »

All framers care about is that you deliver the print flat and protected in a way that gives them some storage flexibility until they can get to it.  I use exactly the foamcore system you describe.  I have three of those things, and rotate them between the my shop and the framing shop as they become empty.

The normal shipping method for large prints is rolling in a tube.  Plenty of posts on this forum about that.  3 or 4" tubes are kinder to the recipient than smaller ones.  You first roll the print up on an old 2" or 3" core to maneuver it into the shipping tube without undue scraping.  You can theoretically sandwich prints flat between some stick cardboard or plywood for shipping, or in a kind of shallow box, but you will be hit with very big oversize shipping charges disproportionate to the weight, and for the largest pieces you may need to ship freight at costs of several hundred $.  So tubes are the only real option for shipping prints.  But don't deliver prints locally in tubes, unless you know the buyer will themselves ship it.

tjphototx

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 03:10:21 pm »

Thank you for your great and helpful reply.

Thom

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 07:24:25 am »

Bill... do you roll the prints image side out, or in?   
Mike Guilbault

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 07:50:02 am »

Bill... do you roll the prints image side out, or in?   
Not Bill, but I've shipped over 100 rolled prints and have not heard any adverse comments from recipients.  I put a sheet of acid free paper over the print face and roll it image side in.  You can get all sizes of tubes from Uline and as Bill notes don't use anything smaller than 3 inches in diameter.  I have an Epson 3880 so the largest print that I've shipped is 17x25.

artobest

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 09:38:18 am »

Traditional practice is to roll art with the image side outwards. This is to minimise compression of painted surfaces, which causes irreparable damage. With this in mind, and bearing in mind also that the print comes off the roll with the image on the outside, I always roll my prints image side out. I don't know whether it is possible to compress the ink-receptive coating on the paper, but I've never felt inclined to find out.

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 01:31:51 pm »

The compression was my concern, especially with canvas. 
Mike Guilbault

BrainWilliy

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 04:00:28 pm »

I am agree with many those say roll it in a tube. To keep prints away from any damage it is the best option.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 08:02:44 pm »

When you are going to ship prints it is best to select media that will not suffer from rolling or scuffing.  Some papers are oh-so-delicate, and others are less so.  Use the less so paper when you have to ship.  Shipping is an engineering problem, and good engineers use the right materials.  The creation of art is an engineering problem in addition to an aesthetic one, each one imposing both constraints and sometimes even insights on the other.

BrainWilliy

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 01:58:57 am »

I read through and referred a lot of places that provide printing and shipping services. Shipping is surely an engineering concern. But, it is also the responsibility of a printing company that needs to keep in mind that the prints have to be done in such a way that they sustain all the shipping difficulties. The printing agency has to keep in mind as to where the product has to be delivered. Using a material suitable for shipping at such diatant places will help. As our friend mentioned, we need to use good quality paper and ink.

framah

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 11:33:16 am »

Another question I have regarding large printing such as 30"x40" or 40"x60" prints. I have been delivering the prints to my framer sandwiched between two pieces of foam core larger than the prints with layers of tissue to protect the images. This isn't very attractive. Do you have any suggestions for a more attractive way to package and protect the prints for local delivery? What about shipping large prints how do you deal with that?

Regards,
Thom Jackson

As a framer, I'm always horrified at how unattractive the packaging is when an artists brings in their art!!! I mean... what if Martha Stewart just happened to come into my shop at THAT very moment!!!  I'd be mortified!!!  :o ::) ;D ;D

Seriously, tho...
As long as it gets to me undamaged, i don't care HOW you do it or what it looks like. 

As for shipping.. large tube 4" or more, tissue covered and rolled with the image out, just as it came out of the printer.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

shadowblade

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 12:25:23 pm »

Flat packed, usually, to minimise any possible damage to the printed inkjet layer that may be caused by rolling it (in the case of paper prints) or because they just won't roll up (in the case of metal prints). The shipping price can be quite exhorbitant, though, if the container size is 1m x 3m x 5cm for a huge print...

William Chitham

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 01:56:50 pm »

Traditional practice is to roll art with the image side outwards. This is to minimise compression of painted surfaces, which causes irreparable damage. With this in mind, and bearing in mind also that the print comes off the roll with the image on the outside, I always roll my prints image side out. I don't know whether it is possible to compress the ink-receptive coating on the paper, but I've never felt inclined to find out.

Handling big prints is pretty nerve wracking, I generally roll image side because it seems to me that the fewer times the print has to be flipped over and laid face down the better, I reckon it is easier to unroll it from there and there is less chance of scuffing it as it goes in and out of the tube. I have never seen or heard of any "compression" problems as a result.
William.

BrainWilliy

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 01:19:34 am »

Hi William! Is rolling the image safe when it is a long distance shipping? I think sending the prints flat would be a good idea. They can be padded well and wrapped to avoid any damage.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 12:49:10 pm »

I shipped a 30x60 canvas from Tucson to Chicago rolled using the core from a used roll then inside the box the canvas came in and placed inside another box.  The print arrived safely with no problems.

Don

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 01:50:01 pm »

As an aside, when you have multiple flat sheets, how do you stack them one on top of the other? 

hugowolf

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 02:51:11 pm »

As an aside, when you have multiple flat sheets, how do you stack them one on top of the other? 

If they are the same size, then for packing: back to back with tissue between faces. For storage, all face up with tissue between each.

Brian A

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 10:01:37 pm »

What kind of tissue?

hugowolf

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 11:38:59 pm »

What kind of tissue?

Archival tissue. I buy it in 1000 ft rolls, unbuffered acid free, because I was occasionally doing cyanotypes until recently. The Buffered is fine for digital inkjet prints.

http://www.archivalmethods.com/product/archival-tissue

http://www.uline.com/BL_502/Paper-Cutters

Brian A

BrainWilliy

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 04:09:18 am »

Hi Don! Thanks for your reply. I have been worried of sending stuff that way. Never dared to do that with the fear of reworking on the same stuff! Now that I know it does not matter, I would surely try this method too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up