Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Carriage Assembly Removal (?)  (Read 1184 times)

hkoons

Z3100 Carriage Assembly Removal (?)
« on: January 14, 2014, 11:22:25 am »

On page 298, or 8-97, the Service Manual states, "Loosen the T-10 uncapping screw sufficiently so you can manually move the Carriage Assembly in step 25."
Could someone please offer more clarification.  I find that I can turn the "uncapping screw" in either direction and it never seems to stop, or tighten, or have resistance to the turning process.  Is this normal?  Should one just turn it until the Carriage Assembly moves freely?  And, what about assembly after the carriage removal?  Does one just turn it until the carriage resists the ability to move to the center?
I find the biggest obstacle in moving the carriage assembly is the plastic nubs that rise between the ink pads upon which the Carriage Assembly rests.  They seem to bump into the little pull-out device on the lower, right side of the Carriage.  By lifting the carriage while pressing down on those nubs I'm able to move the carriage.  Is this normal or am I missing something.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm in the process of changing out the belt.

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Z3100 Carriage Assembly Removal (?)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 03:49:25 pm »

The uncapping screw (that sits behind that PCB) should be turned around anti-clockwise till the carriage comes free. And the other way till it blocks the carriage again. There is no point where it actually tightens if I recall it correctly. Some mention Torx but on my two Zs it was an Allen screw (Inbus) actually.

I do not find that normal and would not force the carriage free that way.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

hkoons

Re: Z3100 Carriage Assembly Removal (?)
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 04:16:54 pm »

Thank you again for your assistance.  I did, however, finally figure out the purpose and function of the uncapping screw.
Turning the uncapping screw, a T-10 torx on my z3100, counter-clockwise moves the tray which sits beneath the carriage, that which has a series of sponges, towards the rear of the printer.  One turns the screw until the plastic "nubs" (for lack of better name) are enough toward the rear that the carriage slides freely.  
For re-assembly of the carriage, one is to turn the screw clockwise until the sponges align to the position where the printheads would make full contact.  That position of alignment is seen by viewing down on the open carriage with the printheads removed.
Another way I aligned the sponge tray ("sponge tray is my identification) is looking carefully at the plastic tabs, one on each side of the sponge tray.  Those tabs move with the sponge tray.  If you look real carefully slight wear patterns are visible where the tabs rub against the more permanent tray frame.  I put a slight spot of "white out" marker on the stationary position as indicated by the wear pattern, and a spot on the plastic tab that floats on the frame.  With a flashlight located in the center of the printer directed toward the lower portion of the Carriage Assembly you can see the two white spots align as you turn the uncapping screw.
I hope this clarifies the uncapping screw purpose and operation.
howard
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 05:17:48 pm by hkoons »
Pages: [1]   Go Up