Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request for Recommendation on Online Photo Labs  (Read 15740 times)

Kit-V

Request for Recommendation on Online Photo Labs
« on: January 13, 2014, 02:02:25 pm »

Considering the number of discriminating (in a positive context) photographers on LuLa, I truly respect your opinions. I know that this will be a highly subjective question tempered by individual, personal experiences. But I need a starting point to identify an online photo lab to print (& possibly mount) a few of my images.

With that in mind, I would appreciate a few recommendations on labs that have a solid reputation for consistent high quality work at competitive prices.

As a caveat, my printed images will be for personal home display, as opposed to professional museum exhibit. That is not to suggest that I will accept 2nd-rate processing quality; only that I would prefer to avoid paying exorbitant prices for a higher level of quality that is might only be discernible to the most gifted & trained eye.

Thank you so much.

Kit
Falling Fork Photography

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
Re: Request for Recommendation on Online Photo Labs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 02:20:12 pm »

First, we need to know at least in which country you live.

Kit-V

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 03:05:51 pm »

Certainly -- U.S.
Falling Fork Photography

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 01:03:25 am »

Before moving to Germany 4 years ago, I used, almost exclusively, H&H Color Lab.  At the time, they were only open to working professionals with a tax license, tax id # etc.  Not sure about now.  I also tried, and liked the results from, White House Custom Color (WHCC) and from M-Pix which is the consumer branch of Miller's Professional Imaging.

There are probably others out there.  Have you asked any for sample prints?  I would imagine that most high quality labs would print one of your images for you to examine.  That is what I did about 10 years ago, I sent the same file to several and took into consideration shipping time, packaging, as well as print quality.  H&H was my choice and I was never disappointed.  I had colleagues that used Miller's exclusively and a few that used A&I exclusively.

I am sure that others can give more recommendations.

Kit-V

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 08:51:19 am »

Thank you. The name "BayPhoto" seems to pop up occasionally. Any thoughts?
Falling Fork Photography

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 09:18:54 am »

I only know the name Bay Photo.  I have never used them nor do I know anyone personally that has.

dhancock

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 09:28:03 am »

I've been pleased with the quality and service I receive from Nations Photo Lab.
http://www.nationsphotolab.com

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 09:39:00 am »

Thank you. The name "BayPhoto" seems to pop up occasionally. Any thoughts?
I have used BayPhoto quite a bit. They did a framed metal print for me for a piece at the San Diego Art Institute that I was very pleased with. I would make sure that your process is such that you can send files to them that DO NOT need color correction. Stupid mistake on my part but I couldn't figure out why the first prints were so off! TAT is good; shipping is reasonable; inspect carefully for shipping damage. They will crate for a reasonable fee, which is what I did for the museum piece. Haven't used them for paper prints. Good luck.

Kit-V

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 09:47:12 am »

Thank you.
Falling Fork Photography

Dave Pluimer

• Dave Pluimer Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 06:52:27 am »

Another vote for Nations. Great products. Frequent sales.

My online gallery is fulfilled by White House Custom Color. Very happy there, also.

Some Guy

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 09:12:18 pm »

I've used BayPhoto for metal prints.  They have some test package where 4 different plates (Glossy, Satin, White, Alum. in 5x7 inches) for about $30.  Lets you know how your final one will look too.  The final one I had them frame and it showed up packed quite nicely in about a week.  Actually, the frame and metal print combined from them was less than my normal framer charges for one custom frame by a third too.

SG

NancyP

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 11:48:28 am »

I have used a local St. Louis MO pro lab for the past 30 years and visit them in person most of the time (I live 1.5 miles from them).
Allied Photocolor.
www.alliedphotocolor.com
I have not used their scanning service or large format developing service yet. Large laser digital prints are excellent although usually pricy compared with inkjet prints - wide range of substrates, art papers, photo papers, metal, transparency, canvas, etc.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 10:11:41 am »

An update: I just shipped two metal prints from BayPhoto (12x18 in) to France and they arrived in perfect shape. Cost about $50
Pages: [1]   Go Up