Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Print Templates: Retention of Epson Driver Settings  (Read 2737 times)

John Caldwell

Print Templates: Retention of Epson Driver Settings
« on: January 12, 2014, 05:39:51 pm »

Driver settings tend not to be sticky with templates, as has been discussed at length previously. What's the status with this, please? I'll guess that it has something between a flawed Adobe-Epson handshake, but is there anything we can do other than manually resetting the driver with driver presets? Print module templates are useful as is, but they would certainly grow in utility if driver settings could due called up with a Print template.

Thank you,

John Caldwell
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 05:54:01 pm by John Caldwell »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Print Templates: Retention of Epson Driver Settings
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 06:43:44 pm »

Not sure at all what you are talking about...driver settings are not "sticky" but hard coded into the preset. If you select a preset you CAN alter the saved parameters but those altered parameters are not save in the preset unless you specifically do so (right click, update settings).

I suspect you are not fully grasping what LR presets are...yes, there are some built-in print presets but those are not printer specific.If you select a LR preset on the left panel, you'll still need to enter the printer specific settings–and store that in a new preset.

John Caldwell

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 06:49:36 pm »

Understood, Jeff. But can a LR Print preset store Epson printer driver settings: media type, paper path and such, such that when we load a LR print preset the Epson driver settings load with the LR Print preset? If not, meaning there is no reason that LR could ever access Epson driver choices, then fine (but disappointing.) If so, meaning driver settings should indeed store with LR Print presets, it doesn't work correctly, and never has in my hands. Far as I know many others observe the same - happy to be shown wrong.

John-

Schewe

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 06:57:42 pm »

Well, LR presets store everything from the print parameters (layout, size, rez & sharpening) as well as ALL page setup and print driver settings...and yes, EVERYTHING you set in the print driver is stored including CM, rez, paper, path, etc.

If it doesn't work correctly for you (it does for me), I suggest user error...if you want help, you'll need to do explicit screenshots showing EXACTLY what you are setting and where. LR's print presets work perfectly for me...if not for you, it's something you are doing wrong.

Sorry to be blunt, but that's the way I see it. (and just to be clear, I've been directly involved in the development of the Print module and would be really pissed if something wasn't working as designed). It's all working as designed for me...

John Caldwell

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 07:01:37 pm »

This is great news and I will prepare screen shots illustrating examples. I have lived with this LR "defect", as I have apparently wrongly understood it, and I believe I am very much not alone to experience this symptom. But look, I'm on your side, and eager to be shown where my user is so i (we) can get it right.

Thank you,

John Caldwell

Schewe

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 07:15:31 pm »

Just to be sure, you aren't trying to set presets to use OS X driver presets, right? LR can grab all of the page setup & driver settings but doesn't play well with Mac driver stored presets. You understand the differences? In the print driver do NOT select the option to save an OX X driver setting...

note: it would be useful to indicate exactly what printer/driver version/OS you are using, otherwise it's kinda like mind reading (which I don't do well with).

John Caldwell

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 07:57:30 pm »

This may well be the source of the problem, as I don't know the difference between an OSX driver setting and an Epson driver setting. Until now, I had no notion of this. I'll stay tuned, and than yo in the interim.

John-

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 03:43:09 am »

This may well be the source of the problem, as I don't know the difference between an OSX driver setting and an Epson driver setting.

I don't think that's the distinction Jeff was making. There are driver/OS presets, which you create and use in the print dialog with the "Presets" popup menu; and there are LR presets, which you create and use within LR. They play very badly together. Don't use the driver/OS presets with LR: it's very good at handling all the various printer settings for itself.

Jeremy

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 04:26:13 am »

Perhaps not correctly understanding the problem - forgive me if this is the case.

But, for example, If I set Lightroom to print an image sized at, say, 400mm x 300mm on A3+ paper and set "Managed by Printer" and then set the Properties in my Epson R3000 dialog as, say, Photo Black Ink, Premium Semi-Gloss, Advanced B&W Photo, Max Quality, Neutral..... and then create a User Template with those settings, then every time I use that template, those are the (initial) settings I will get. I can, of course, then alter any of them if I wish.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

John Caldwell

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 06:31:29 am »

Perhaps not correctly understanding the problem - forgive me if this is the case.

But, for example, If I set Lightroom to print an image sized at, say, 400mm x 300mm on A3+ paper and set "Managed by Printer" and then set the Properties in my Epson R3000 dialog as, say, Photo Black Ink, Premium Semi-Gloss, Advanced B&W Photo, Max Quality, Neutral..... and then create a User Template with those settings, then every time I use that template, those are the (initial) settings I will get. I can, of course, then alter any of them if I wish.

What if, at the time you specified your Lightroom Preset, you had Epson driver settings like:

0) Epson 9900 (instead of other printer you have installed)
1) Roll paper path
2) Media type Photo Paper>Premium Luster
3) Roll paper Cut Off
4) Platen gap 4
5) Drying Time Per Head Pass +20

Would these driver settings load each time you called up your Lightroom Print Preset?

In my experience, the driver settings, examples of which I've given above, do not load when calling up the LR preset. The driver settings generally loaded are, instead:

1) The most recently used printer, e.g. Epson 4900 rather than 9900
2) All the other driver settings last used for the 4900 rather than those stored for the 9900

The above responses suggest that this is the expected behavior that prompted my OP. If this is not expected, and you are achieving something else, kindly chime in. Jeff Schewe's interpretation may well have been that LR-specific settings weren't sticking, and that is not the case. The LR-specific settings are sticking with the Print presets, but they are only a portion of those settings that need to be called up when printing. I note that users who send files to only one printer, with the same paper path and media settings each time they print, won't resonate with my frustration.

If interaction between the Epson driver and LR can be made to allow Presets to retain this kind of data, it would be very useful, in my opinion. Can anyone comment whether Canon driver settings are retained?

John Caldwell
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 08:31:52 am by John Caldwell »

Schewe

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 01:20:32 pm »

What if, at the time you specified your Lightroom Preset, you had Epson driver settings like:

0) Epson 9900 (instead of other printer you have installed)
1) Roll paper path
2) Media type Photo Paper>Premium Luster
3) Roll paper Cut Off
4) Platen gap 4
5) Drying Time Per Head Pass +20

Would these driver settings load each time you called up your Lightroom Print Preset?

They do for me across 4 different Epson printers, 9900, 4900, 3880, R3000.

If I create a preset in Lightroom it will store ALL of the Lightroom Print module settings, the Page Setup settings and ALL of the Print Driver settings. That's the way it's supposed to work and it's the way it works for me.

John Caldwell

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 01:59:31 pm »

This is great news and I need to drill down into why the settings don't stick. From the above responses, it does look like I remain not the only one experiencing this symptom. Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up