Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 5 to Photoshop CS6 and back to Lightroom....possible?  (Read 5919 times)

Dinarius

Lightroom 5 to Photoshop CS6 and back to Lightroom....possible?
« on: January 11, 2014, 01:55:21 pm »

I've been editing images in LR 5.

They have Chromatic Aberration that the magic button in LR will not fix. So, I will have to export them to CS6 and deal with it there.

Once I've done that, must I then save the TIFF from CS6, or can I return to LR with the CA fixes intact?

Thanks.

D.

ps. Also, when I press Ctrl/E to export the file, a dialog doesn't appear asking me if I want to edit a copy or the original. Should it?

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Lightroom 5 to Photoshop CS6 and back to Lightroom....possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 01:58:58 pm »

If you select "Edit In" in LR and choose Photoshop, the image will open in PS. Edit and save in PS - using the default supplied name: for example DSC0045_Edit.tif. The edited image will be automatically "imported" into LR.  Then you can carry on as desired.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 04:04:28 pm »

Slightly more complicated than that.

When you click "Edit in CS6" (or whatever) you have the option of editing a fresh copy or editing a copy with Lightroom adjustments. Either way, Lightroom will create a Tiff file and shoot it over to CS6.

After you have finished editing in CS6, clicking "Save" in the CS6 File menu will result in the edited Tiff being imported by Lightoom with that image (in normal circumstances) appearing next to your original image in the Library module (or the Develop module filmstrip).

Where is can be a little confusing is if you edit in CS6 from a collection (such as "Last Import"). In that case the edited Tiff may not appear alongside the original in the collection - but you will find it if you select the original image and then click on "All Photographs" to display the entire catalogue.

At least, that's what I find. Same applies to images I edit in any of the Nik or Topaz programs after right-clicking in Lightroom.

My normal workflow is to do my basic post-exposure processing in LR5.3 and then, if I require/desire further processing in, say, CS6, SilverEfexPro, ColorEfexPro or whatever, I do that on a copy with my Lightroom adjustments. After saving the result back to Lightroom, I then apply any finishing touches in Lightroom before either exporting it as a Jpeg (if required for a competition, say) or printing. I always print from Lightroom, even if most of the processing has been in CS6.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 04:08:03 pm by PhotoEcosse »
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 11:54:24 pm »

Where is can be a little confusing is if you edit in CS6 from a collection (such as "Last Import"). In that case the edited Tiff may not appear alongside the original in the collection - but you will find it if you select the original image and then click on "All Photographs" to display the entire catalogue.

Previous to LR 5, when you imported a group of images LR would create a 'last import' collection and display that by default - no matter to which folders the images were moved, copied or added.  However, in LR 5 there's an option to NOT display the 'last import' collection by default.  Further, if you're looking at images in a Collection you can right-click on an image and select, 'Go to folder in Library' and LR will migrate to the folder where that image is stored.  But yes, more than once I've wondered why an image didn't show up where it was supposed to, only to realize that I was in a collection and not the folder.  When I was studying computer programming the most popular question in the lab was, "Why is it doing this?" The answer was invariably the same: "Because you told it to."

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up