Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon IPF 8300 on or off?  (Read 1684 times)

mcpix

• Macframes
Canon IPF 8300 on or off?
« on: January 10, 2014, 07:54:18 pm »

When I purchased my Canon 8300 3 years ago, I was told to leave it on all the time. Recently I updated the firmware, and the printer defaulted back to shutting off each day. I read that the new firmware did not automatically do a head cleaning when it was turned on, so I let it go. Today when I started up my 8300, it told me I need to replace the left printhead. It's been over 3 years, so I guess it's time, but I'm wondering if I should switch back to leaving it on all the time.

smjphoto

Re: Canon IPF 8300 on or off?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 08:23:51 pm »

I'm no expert, but my dealer told me to update the firmware a year ago and said to leave it on. The firmware upgrade was supposed to help with the  premature head failures some people have experienced. You have to reset the sleep setting to "off" after the update. My unit definitely turns on in the middle of the night to adjatate the ink supply. I'm not sure what else it does on it's own. Everything I've ever heard has supported leaving it on 24/7.

How much use has your unit had? 3 years seems longer than many low volume users get out of their print heads.

Stuart

mcpix

• Macframes
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 03:56:47 pm »

I would describe my use as low to moderate depending upon the time of year.

I own a photo/video lab and usually run at least 3 prints a week during the slow times, with volume picking up in the summer months and at Christmas.

One of the reasons I picked the Canon 8300 was because my volume varies so much. I owned an Epson 7800 and then a 9800, and actually had my name on the list for a 9900, when people first started complaining about head problems. A poster on LuLa pushed me over to Canon when he said that he owned both and that the Canon was much more trouble free.

So far, I've loved my Canon. I never worry about test prints and just walk over and fire it up whenever I need a print.

smjphoto

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 03:08:07 am »

your level of use sounds ideal to me.

Stuart

mcpix

• Macframes
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 03:44:49 pm »

Ok, I'm leaving it on like before.

As an aside I just replaced the left head and everything went fine. The only thing I didn't anticipate is that the printer does a calibration print as part of the set up routine. I don't know if it matters or not, but I had Epson luster paper loaded instead of the Canon paper that comes with the machine. I'm assuming that's okay, as the prints look fine.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 02:39:15 am »

It's not calibrating, only aligning heads - any paper could be used for that purpose.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Pete Berry

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 11:45:46 am »

It's not calibrating, only aligning heads - any paper could be used for that purpose.

All iPF X100 and up series have a self-calibration routine to return the printer to factory output specs - and this should be run after a head change or other significant part replacement.

I would suggest repeating this on the original coated paper supplied for consistency.

Pete

mcpix

• Macframes
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 02:17:40 am »

Turns out it's both.

After reading the owner's manual they recommend running the head position adjustment on the paper you use most, so it was correct to run it on the Epson luster. However, the calibration adjustment should not be run on luster paper, so I used the Canon heavyweight coated paper that came with the machine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up