Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter in the Back Yard  (Read 1309 times)

churly

Winter in the Back Yard
« on: January 10, 2014, 06:07:40 pm »

Winter hit pretty hard this last week but left a bit of winter art.
Suggests & critique welcome.

Chuck
Chuck Hurich

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Winter in the Back Yard
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 12:34:08 am »

Much nicer winter than I've had so far.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

thierrylegros396

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 11:12:40 am »

The third is really fine and well processed ;)

have a Nice Day.

Thierry

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 11:18:28 am »

I'm not so sure about the first two...don't strike me as having anything compelling as subjects - somewhat generic.  The last image is a very interesting one with a pattern like a "toile de Jouy" copperplate textile print - it's very hard to tell how much processing this has gone through (or not)...and I can't say that I think this interpretation (color etc.) is the best...but very much worth working on. /B
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 11:29:41 am »

The third is really fine and well processed ;)

I really like the third one, head and shoulders above the other two IMHO. Perhaps a mono verison of it would give it that extra je nes sais quoi that Brandt might be alluding to?

Dave

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 01:59:59 pm »

The third is a cracker. I'm quite fond of the second, too.

Jeremy

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 06:21:37 pm »

#3 is wonderful. I love the subtle background colours. They give an added depth to the beautifully cut design in the foreground.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

churly

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 02:54:59 pm »

Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful comments.  The additional sets of eyes and perspectives are always useful.

Eric - "Much nicer winter than I've had so far" -- I haven't been out much due to the weather.  That's why I'm posting shots from the back yard.  :)

thierrylegros396 - thanks, I enjoy shooting ice.

Brandt - "I'm not so sure about the first two...don't strike me as having anything compelling as subjects - somewhat generic.  The last image is a very interesting one with a pattern like a "toile de Jouy" copperplate   textile print - it's very hard to tell how much processing this has gone through (or not)...and I can't say that I think this interpretation (color etc.) is the best...but very much worth working on." -- I agree that the subjects are not all that compelling. These are more about stating the obvious.  However the patterns and light that caught my attention were totally transient and gone within a couple of hours.  WRT #3 - very little processing except an increase in local contrast and levels adjustment and a bunch of cleaning up of dust spots on the surface the ice crystals grew on.  I did try to neutralize the colors and I did try a B&W but the color is critical to the depth.  I did try moving the colors around a bit but without much success but I have a lot to learn in that realm.

Dave - As I indicated to Brandt, I wasn't very happy with the mono but I'll go back to it

Jeremy - Thanks.  I'm glad you like #2 as well.  Given the comments form everyone I am a bit reluctant to admit that #2 is my favorite of the three.

Terry - I agree.  The background colors give it that bit of 3D that I haven't gotten from this type of shot before.  Unfortunately the light conditions have to be just right to get the background. 

Chuck
Chuck Hurich
Pages: [1]   Go Up