Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 34   Go Down

Author Topic: So how is that Subscription Service working out for Adobe?  (Read 155867 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: So how is that Subscription Service working out for Adobe?
« Reply #260 on: February 18, 2014, 12:32:17 pm »

maybe if they bring in some new hires poached from Google or Topaz, they could figure out a way for Photoshop running without being dependent on the mother ship

ButchM

« Reply #261 on: February 18, 2014, 12:51:35 pm »

OK...so you work in the factories...do you also eat, sleep there or do you go outside that factory sometimes in the month where you might have internet access. You DON'T need internet access to use CC, it just needs to connect once a month to verify your subscription...then you can be off the grid. Again, I ask, do you really not have internet access for a whole month at a time?

That may be the design of CC ... it may work flawlessly for most ... however, for some users, albeit a small percentage, are being asked to confirm their subscription much more often than once a month.

While it may be trendy and popular to blame user ignorance or misunderstanding, for at least a few users, it can be a real problem. As evidenced by some discussions here and elsewhere.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #262 on: February 18, 2014, 01:02:52 pm »

That may be the design of CC ... it may work flawlessly for most ... however, for some users, albeit a small percentage, are being asked to confirm their subscription much more often than once a month.

While it may be trendy and popular to blame user ignorance or misunderstanding, for at least a few users, it can be a real problem. As evidenced by some discussions here and elsewhere.

Hi,

Reading this in amazement, am I correct in assuming that one all of a sudden gets locked out of Photoshop until confirmation has been achieved, or does the system warn that confirmation needs to be done within a certain period of time?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Some Guy

« Reply #263 on: February 18, 2014, 01:12:46 pm »

Actually, a lot of business computers are not connected to the internet.  Fear of hacking, theft, employees/family/kids playing, files stolen, accounts compromised, etc.  Couple of local photo businesses took their editing stations offline as their employees were sharing files online and messing with them.  Even the military and DOJ have ones that are not connected and probably never will be as my brother used to program or repair them at their site and often had to call Microsoft for a given file to load them manually.  Once online, you are not secure nor have any privacy.

Personally, I'm not in favor of the monthly subscription deal as I change my credit cards too many times in a year due to ID theft matters.  Seems I get about 3 months of use out of one card, and then the bank issues a new one with a downtime of maybe 2-3 weeks of waiting for a new card.  An annual one - or even buy the number of months/years you need it - might work better overall than the monthly one.  Having an issue now with PayPal and an old card that resurfaced.  What a mess!

SG

Simon Garrett

« Reply #264 on: February 18, 2014, 02:20:19 pm »

If my subscription needs to be activated WHILE I AM ON A JOB IN A FACTORY, WITH NO INTERNET ACCESS...am I now going to tell my client, oh gee, I need to leave the job site and find some internet access so I can GET MY SOFTWARE TO RUN, so I can complete the job I'm here to do?
I don't think that's how it works.  It doesn't need to be activated at some particular time when you might not be online.  It needs to call home at some time during the month.  If you're offline when it tries, it will try again later.  I'm sure I read somewhere that if it gets to a month or so (on a monthly-paid contract) with no contact home, it warns you that it must contact home with x days or it stops working. 

You have to be online to install it, but you don't have to be online to use it.  You just have to be online some time in the month.   

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #265 on: February 18, 2014, 02:47:50 pm »

I don't think that's how it works.  It doesn't need to be activated at some particular time when you might not be online.  It needs to call home at some time during the month.  If you're offline when it tries, it will try again later.  I'm sure I read somewhere that if it gets to a month or so (on a monthly-paid contract) with no contact home, it warns you that it must contact home with x days or it stops working. 

You have to be online to install it, but you don't have to be online to use it.  You just have to be online some time in the month.   

Can you confirm that?
Craig Lamson Photo

chez

« Reply #266 on: February 18, 2014, 03:32:39 pm »

Can you confirm that?

Yes, that is exactly how it works. That is what I've been trying to tell you, but you are too quick to do personal attacks rather than understand what others are talking about. Like I said, once a month connect to the Internet, get verified and you are good for another month without Internet access. This was discussed previuosly but you chose to not read it.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #267 on: February 18, 2014, 04:07:27 pm »

Yes, that is exactly how it works. That is what I've been trying to tell you, but you are too quick to do personal attacks rather than understand what others are talking about. Like I said, once a month connect to the Internet, get verified and you are good for another month without Internet access. This was discussed previuosly but you chose to not read it.

So I'm still correct.  I don't connect these computers to the internet (2 location MBP's that only get used for location shoots.) and they almost never leave their cases when not in use on a job.   So its clearly STILL a problem, if I don't make it a POINT to verify the activation I've still got the potential for my software NOT to run while on a job.

Not at problem at all with perpetual licenses, CC is a BIG potential problem for me.

You still failed to understand.  Imagine that.
Craig Lamson Photo

chez

« Reply #268 on: February 18, 2014, 04:20:25 pm »

So I'm still correct.  I don't connect these computers to the internet (2 location MBP's that only get used for location shoots.) and they almost never leave their cases when not in use on a job.   So its clearly STILL a problem, if I don't make it a POINT to verify the activation I've still got the potential for my software NOT to run while on a job.

Not at problem at all with perpetual licenses, CC is a BIG potential problem for me.

You still failed to understand.  Imagine that.

Well I guess you are SOL then. Either connect to the net or look for something else. Good luck in trying to load just about any software these days without an internet connection.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #269 on: February 18, 2014, 04:38:10 pm »

Well I guess you are SOL then. Either connect to the net or look for something else. Good luck in trying to load just about any software these days without an internet connection.

No, I'm doing just fine, using software that does not require phoning home every 30 days.   Loading software without an internet connect is really quite easy.   This really is beyond your ken. 

Bye chez.

Craig Lamson Photo

chez

« Reply #270 on: February 18, 2014, 05:01:14 pm »

No, I'm doing just fine, using software that does not require phoning home every 30 days.   Loading software without an internet connect is really quite easy.   This really is beyond your ken. 

Bye chez.

Craig...you know what, loading software via the internet is really quite easy as well. In fact...it is sort of like getting out of the 80's.  I guess that is really beyond your ken.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #271 on: February 18, 2014, 05:04:43 pm »

Craig...you know what, loading software via the internet is really quite easy as well. In fact...it is sort of like getting out of the 80's.  I guess that is really beyond your ken.

You should memorize the first rule of holes chez.

That too might be beyond your ken.
Craig Lamson Photo

Farmer

« Reply #272 on: February 18, 2014, 05:04:51 pm »

Craig - there's really no need to be so abusive.  No one's making personal attacks on you.
Phil Brown

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #273 on: February 18, 2014, 06:05:12 pm »

Yes, in that scenario, you could be on location, boot up the machine and not activate the Adobe product.
I think it would be prudent prior to going on location to boot up the machines if for anything, to see if there are new software updates, OS, CC or otherwise. And as a backup, on location, using that mobile device you have could be used in a pinch to get the laptop talking to the net. Like anything else, plan for the tool usage. Or have a backup copy of CS6, no problems.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #274 on: February 18, 2014, 07:01:32 pm »

Except that's not what's happening with me.  I started my membership in December -- downloaded, installed, activated and have been billed twice.  Yet, every so often when I open PSCC, it asks me to log into my Adobe account.  If I don't, PS won't start.  This has happened about 4 times (every time i re-activate, I get one of those "Three key things" emails) - I haven't noticed any pattern:  PSCC runs fine, but suddenly decides I'm not paying for it.

This hasn't been a real issue (it's very annoying), because I have PSCC loaded on my desktop, which has a good internet connection.  But, having this experience, why would I trust CC software on a laptop that usually doesn't have an internet connection when it decides to want an activation?  There is no warning, and in fact this is contrary to Adobe's revised policy on activations, which is that, having a yearly subscription contract, the software will attempt to activate every 30 days but will allow 99 days of use without an activation.

I'm reluctant to try the "support chat", because I really don't have time to keep uninstalling and reinstalling software -- which is what their script will require.  I checked the forums the other night, and it was suggested to set PSCC to "Run as Adminstrator", which I did.  Still too early to tell if it solved anything.

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #275 on: February 18, 2014, 07:05:32 pm »

Just as now, the layers containing incompatible edits will be rasterized when the file is opened in an older version of PS - ie converted to pixel layers and without any of the newer editing settings. The main loss will be work applied to smart object layers, which you might not use.

Just to add, it's a good idea to save the file with "Maximum Compatibility", if you're saving PSDs.

smahn

« Reply #276 on: February 18, 2014, 07:12:11 pm »

Just as now, the layers containing incompatible edits will be rasterized when the file is opened in an older version of PS - ie converted to pixel layers and without any of the newer editing settings. The main loss will be work applied to smart object layers, which you might not use.

Hi John. Could you please clarify how it affects smart objects. I do use them a lot.

Say I have a smart object that includes some CC only filters as well as some legacy filters. Can I use CS6 to edit the legacy filters but not the CCs? In CS6 are the CC filters locked as if rasterized, or simply not even readable by CS6? Or does the whole Smart Object get flattened/rasterized upon opening in CS6?

Thanks

Craig Lamson

« Reply #277 on: February 18, 2014, 07:55:42 pm »

Yes, in that scenario, you could be on location, boot up the machine and not activate the Adobe product.
I think it would be prudent prior to going on location to boot up the machines if for anything, to see if there are new software updates, OS, CC or otherwise. And as a backup, on location, using that mobile device you have could be used in a pinch to get the laptop talking to the net. Like anything else, plan for the tool usage. Or have a backup copy of CS6, no problems.

I don't update these machine oftener, since they work and I'm not interested in breaking things.  I've been on 10.8.2 for about forever.  Just updated recently to Mav after using my undated air on a few jobs to make sure Mav and c17.2 worked without issue.  I suspect it will be quite a while before these machines update again.

I don't travel blind.  Each machine has a verified carbon copy clone and TM backup on an external along with installable copies of all required software along with serial numbers.  That said I've never used any of that and the backup machine went unbooted for many months.  Knock on wood.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 09:12:30 pm by Craig Lamson »
Craig Lamson Photo

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #278 on: February 19, 2014, 05:22:51 am »

Hi John. Could you please clarify how it affects smart objects. I do use them a lot.

Say I have a smart object that includes some CC only filters as well as some legacy filters. Can I use CS6 to edit the legacy filters but not the CCs? In CS6 are the CC filters locked as if rasterized, or simply not even readable by CS6? Or does the whole Smart Object get flattened/rasterized upon opening in CS6?

Thanks

I think smart objects are one of the biggest risk areas if you ever end a CC subscription, so much so that I hesitate to recommend them as much as I did in the past - which is a real shame. If a smart object layer includes some CC-only filters, you will be able to open the file in CS6 and the layer will be displayed in rasterized form, and the CC-only filter info will be lost if you re-save the file. The trouble is, there are different types of smart object so you're going to have to stay aware of potential risks and will have to test details (eg linked smart objects) to be sure your work is reasonably available if you stop subscribing.

smahn

« Reply #279 on: February 19, 2014, 09:03:06 am »

I think smart objects are one of the biggest risk areas if you ever end a CC subscription, so much so that I hesitate to recommend them as much as I did in the past - which is a real shame. If a smart object layer includes some CC-only filters, you will be able to open the file in CS6 and the layer will be displayed in rasterized form, and the CC-only filter info will be lost if you re-save the file. The trouble is, there are different types of smart object so you're going to have to stay aware of potential risks and will have to test details (eg linked smart objects) to be sure your work is reasonably available if you stop subscribing.

Thanks John. That is problematic indeed.

Adobe: better would be if the CC filters were just locked to legacy versions but to remain "live" for future use in higher versions.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 34   Go Up