Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nothing much to see  (Read 2505 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Nothing much to see
« on: January 09, 2014, 06:06:42 pm »

:)

churly

Re: Nothing much to see
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 07:03:53 pm »

I like the simple elegance but it doesn't hold my attention very long.  Probably says more about me than the image.
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 01:03:14 pm »

Not the kind of image that sets neurons firing because of drama and colour. But my eye was busy with the detail along the waterline, the waves, the small structure on the left, and then zooming out to savour the peaceful forms and balance.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 01:14:08 pm »

I enjoy simple images like this and agree with sdwilsonct comments. Really a fine image.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 01:23:44 pm »

Indeed, nothing much to see.

If you do not know how to look, that is. The beauty of abstracts (or near abstracts) is that they are conducive to viewers' interpretation, their ability to see. Truth to be told, we all seem to strive to take those elusive, spectacular moments in nature, yet I would rather have the OP image on my wall. Much less chance of getting tired looking at it day in, day out, as I would probably interpret it differently every time I look at it. The trouble with spectacular images is that they are so much so that they leave little to imagination or interpretation. We stand in awe the first time we see it, and maybe a couple of following times, but after that the impact gradually fades away.

Spectacular images are like windows. Abstract, contemplative ones are like mirrors.

Wim van Velzen

• http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 03:38:37 am »

I like it, David (Eilean an Cheo) - Skye is also known as the isle of the mist, isn't it?
I don't have a signature.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 09:39:09 am »

Minimalist, elegant, very effective, Dave.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 11:23:51 am »

Thanks everyone.

I wasn’t sure how this image would be received, so I am really glad that you seem to like its simplicity.

The small structure is a boat laying at anchor in the lee of the smaller of the two islands. The image was taken in the Kyle of Localsh, which also just happens to be the view from our window, although this shot was not taken through the window, but down at the old ferry terminal – it used to be a ferry crossing to Skye some years ago, but now it is a toll free bridge thank goodness.

I like it, David (Eilean an Cheo) - Skye is also known as the isle of the mist, isn't it?

Yes Wim, it is known as the Misty Isle, but in the two and half years I have lived on Skye, this occassion in the picture, is the only time I have known us have a real pea-souper.

Spectacular images are like windows. Abstract, contemplative ones are like mirrors.

So much meaning within so few words, thank you :)

Dave

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 02:01:02 pm »

Speaking about spectacular... I was watching the other day a movie with Seth Rogan and Barbara Streisand ("The Guilt Trip"), in which Seth takes his mom to see Grand Canyon, something she wanted to see all her life. They get there, and after the obligatory "wow," she repeats how much she wanted to see it all her life and then, after a brief silence, she asks: "How long are we supposed to stare at it?". Seth replies: "I do not know. 10 minutes? I think it is disrespectful to look at it any less." She responds: "But who would know?" They both chuckle, turn around and leave.

Now, in my personal experience, no photograph, painting, or movie can prepare you the sheer awesomeness that you experience when you see it in person for the first time. And yet, most people's reaction resembles the dialog above.

The spectacular is like fireworks: a short burst of "wow!" and then a quick descent into darkness. Until the next attention-grabbing stimulus.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 02:37:42 pm »

Speaking about spectacular... I was watching the other day a movie with Seth Rogan and Barbara Streisand ("The Guilt Trip"), in which Seth takes his mom to see Grand Canyon, something she wanted to see all her life. They get there, and after the obligatory "wow," she repeats how much she wanted to see it all her life and then, after a brief silence, she asks: "How long are we supposed to stare at it?". Seth replies: "I do not know. 10 minutes? I think it is disrespectful to look at it any less." She responds: "But who would know?" They both chuckle, turn around and leave.

Now, in my personal experience, no photograph, painting, or movie can prepare you the sheer awesomeness that you experience when you see it in person for the first time. And yet, most people's reaction resembles the dialog above.

The spectacular is like fireworks: a short burst of "wow!" and then a quick descent into darkness. Until the next attention-grabbing stimulus.
Very well said, Slobodan.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 06:22:58 pm »

Not the kind of image that sets neurons firing because of drama and colour. But my eye was busy with the detail along the waterline, the waves, the small structure on the left, and then zooming out to savour the peaceful forms and balance.

Agreed. This image deserves to be huge! Nicely done, Dave.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Tony Jay

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 06:54:27 pm »

Dave, simply put, you have a winner here.
I like Slobodan's take on this image (a wonderful summary IMO).
Apart from the (near) abstract nature of the image it is also an image that appears monchromatic, yet is not.
This is very definitely an image that deserves savouring and will look best printed very large.

Congratulations!

Tony Jay

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 07:29:07 am »

Thanks again everyone, as always your comments are very much appreciated and yes, I will take your advice and try this one as a very large print  :)

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up