Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: nikon d800 exposure problems  (Read 5596 times)

david distefano

nikon d800 exposure problems
« on: January 09, 2014, 11:37:22 am »

i have had the d800 for a year but in the last few weeks i have had nothing but exposure problems. i use aperture priority and i can shoot from a tripod the exact scene many times and each exposure will be different, from blown out highlights to under exposure. if i use manual mode with  the histogram in live view to set exposure the shot is dead on. i even used manual mode and set exposure with my pentax spot meter and again the shot is dead on. what could be going on?

Richowens

Re: nikon d800 exposure problems
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 11:45:02 am »

Auto bracketing turned on?

Rich

david distefano

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 12:20:17 pm »

no just individual single shots.

BenMm

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 01:46:57 pm »

It sounds like you have bracketing on anyway.  One press of the shutter button is one exposure in the bracketing sequence.  The next shutter button press will have a different exposure.  The top LCD display will show a BKT indication if it is on.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 02:29:27 pm »

It sounds like you have bracketing on anyway.  One press of the shutter button is one exposure in the bracketing sequence.  The next shutter button press will have a different exposure.  The top LCD display will show a BKT indication if it is on.

It has got to be worth checking.

I am very guilty of starting to shoot without checking my settings  and not infrequently find that I am using a silly ISO or have bracketing still on or an exposure compensation applied. Gradually I am disciplining myself to reset all the main settings to my "usual" (Aperture Priority, ISO 100, no bracketing, no exposure compensation) at the same time as I format a card after downloading from each day's shooting. But I still sometimes forget and then get a surprise next morning!
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

david distefano

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 03:10:58 pm »

i have checked the camera and it is not on bracketing. the shots are totally random, no progression. the first could be perfect or totally blown or totally underexposed. i can shot one image look at the histogram use the exposure button to increase or decrease exposure and the next image will be all over the board. the second and third, the same thing. this started with one aperture on one lens, the nikon 16-35 f.4. then it happened on a couple of different apertures on the lens and now it does it with all the lenses. all the lenses are nikon. manual mode no problems, auto exposure nothing but problems.

BenMm

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 03:28:28 pm »

Is your camera set to Spot Metering?  I can't think of anything else other than sending it in for servicing.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 06:36:38 pm »

Could it be an issue with the 3.1 lever? (stop-down lever)

Perhaps the actuator that controls that lever is having issues.

In my experience years ago, if one of the little stop-screws on the lens mount wears out or comes loose and gets lost, the lens can get twisted too far when mounting and thus bend and even break the lever. Haven't had this issue in years, but it's worth a check of your lenses and the lever.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 08:52:20 am »

....good advice above.

Also clean all electrical contacts.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."
Pages: [1]   Go Up