Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on new computer build for Photoshop, please!  (Read 48439 times)

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
Re: Advice on new computer build for Photoshop, please!
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2014, 03:15:40 pm »

At my age, any sex is special!  All kidding aside, I could handle the build and the downstream service.  I spent 50 years as a technician and designer and installer and servicer of building automation systems, computer based fire alarem systems for high rise office buildings etc.   It's just that I just don't want to do it anymore just like I'd rather let someone else develope my film. 
There's nothing wrong with that, it describes over half my customers.  Most are technical professionals of one type or the other who just don't care to keep up with the market so they know what to buy, and/or don't feel like bothering with the build. 

And from experience I'd rank Dell Service as pretty good.   Even marginally better than Lenovo.. but this is based only on my own experience with them.

You'll enjoy the new system, as mentioned before its so far ahead of your old one, you'll be caught up in the slip stream for at least the first few months.. :)
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2014, 03:28:05 pm »

Steve  Thanks for all your help and honesty.  I appreciate everyone else's assistance as well.   As an aside, I happened to be looking a the Features section of the Dell site.  It appears that I should be able to update later.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8700/pd?oc=ddcwgp2103&model_id=xps-8700  Click the Features and Design box on the left.

Ample storage and expandability

Opt for 2TB hard-drive storage and keep an impressive digital media library —around half a million photos or songs, 240 hours of video or 550 movies. And if even that’s not enough, you have the ability to expand to 4TB.

The more memory, the better. At any time, installing more memory is a simple operation. Choose up to 16GB RAM now, with room for additional 16GB RAM when you're ready.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2014, 03:07:36 am »

Steve  Thanks for all your help and honesty.  I appreciate everyone else's assistance as well.   As an aside, I happened to be looking a the Features section of the Dell site.  It appears that I should be able to update later.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8700/pd?oc=ddcwgp2103&model_id=xps-8700  Click the Features and Design box on the left.

No problem Alan.   

About your quote/ram.   I think you'll find many such posts, people saying "you should" be able to do this.. which isn't the same as someone actually doing it.

Good luck with the new system and do let us know how you like it  Especially the monitor.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2014, 09:51:44 pm »

The NEC PA242W-BK is arriving tomorrow.  Can I use it with my old Dell XPS 420 that's running Vista while I'm waiting for the new computer?

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2014, 10:33:23 pm »

The NEC PA242W-BK is arriving tomorrow.  Can I use it with my old Dell XPS 420 that's running Vista while I'm waiting for the new computer?
Sure, as long as long as the interfaces allow and I'm sure they do.  You might have to hunt around for an adapter  What video output type does your Dell 420 have?  DVI, HDMI, DP?

I wouldn't though.. I'd be afraid of spoiling the overall surprise. 

Sunny Alan

« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2014, 01:16:35 am »

A doubt:

I am also making a similar system coined by Jim here in 'democratic way'.....  ;D

I found a 'Samsung 840 Evo Series 250GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (MZ-7TE250BW)' is available at about 2/3rd price of a 'Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (MZ-7PD256BW)'.

Given size 250 GB is enough, any other technical problem for this 250 GB ?
Because I found 250GB a very rare number in Drives !

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 01:19:25 am by Sunny Alan »

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #126 on: June 14, 2014, 08:06:12 am »

A doubt:

I found a 'Samsung 840 Evo Series 250GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (MZ-7TE250BW)' is available at about 2/3rd price of a 'Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (MZ-7PD256BW)'.

Given size 250 GB is enough, any other technical problem for this 250 GB ?
Because I found 250GB a very rare number in Drives !

You won't have any problem with the drive.  250GB is kind of a standard size with SSDs.  Key difference between it and the Pro is speed which won't be much of a factor at all for photo processing needs.  I upgraded my work station from the 128 840 Pro to the 250 EVO three months ago and haven't seen any difference at all.  IMO, Samsung SSDs are the best around.

Sunny Alan

« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2014, 08:25:28 am »

Thank you,
And I have choice of Storage HDD: ‘Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM SATA Internal Desktop Hard Drive (ST3000DM001)’ is half the price of ‘Western Digital 3TB Enterprise Internal Hard Drive (WD3000F9YZ)’.

Is the cheaper Seagate advisable?
From my past experience, casualty of Seagate is more. But the price !

Can you please advise me ?

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2014, 09:08:50 pm »

Thank you,
And I have choice of Storage HDD: ‘Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM SATA Internal Desktop Hard Drive (ST3000DM001)’ is half the price of ‘Western Digital 3TB Enterprise Internal Hard Drive (WD3000F9YZ)’.

Is the cheaper Seagate advisable?
From my past experience, casualty of Seagate is more. But the price !

Can you please advise me ?

1st person (Me):  Me and a second person noticed these 3tb externals selling for what was in Oct 2011 a bargain basement price.  Knowing they usually stuff externals with their lowest performing drives I didn't expect much.  I bought two of them to use as temporary drives.  Me being me had to open the things up.. do some research, and discovered Seagate had stuffed these with their very latest and fastest drives.  I did some tests and was surprised.  I 'shelled' both of these drives and installed them as a RAID1 in my desktop case.  They have been running 24/7 (I never turn them off) since and I do a SMART test monthly with not even a single defective sector to date.   Until they show signs of their demise I'll keep them operational.

2nd person:   I told a friend about these and he bought two.  He made the same RAID1.  About a year ago his went bad. 

I suppose you could hope for either one.

I wrote an article about this back then you can read here..
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up