Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on new computer build for Photoshop, please!  (Read 48441 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Advice on new computer build for Photoshop, please!
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2014, 09:12:36 pm »

They're closed.  I'll check tomorrow.  There is nothing on there motherboard on their web page.  However, there is only a web page difference of $200 between the two modell with the large having 3TB inmstead of 2TB and 32GB instead of 24gb.  Does $200 sound right.  Whaty does an 8gb memry card cost anyway?  Ciouldn't I added down the road if I need it?

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2014, 12:23:03 am »

They're closed.  I'll check tomorrow.  There is nothing on there motherboard on their web page.  However, there is only a web page difference of $200 between the two modell with the large having 3TB inmstead of 2TB and 32GB instead of 24gb.  Does $200 sound right.  Whaty does an 8gb memry card cost anyway?  Ciouldn't I added down the road if I need it?

A 8g card by itself.. about $75-$90.  Difference in 2-3tb drives.. $50-$70.    Yes, you 'could' add just one stick later but it's not a good idea.  You really should install identical DIMM's in each "bank" of memory, and in the case of the 4770 CPU a bank is 2 DIMM slots.  This is why they sell memory "kits" of 2 each or 4 each depending.  Theoretically you should be able to match the specs and by one more, but you're asking for trouble doing this.  Memory is too finicky, and  characteristics age with wear and time.

But most importantly is that if they're trying to push 24gb of RAM and they're telling you they can't upgrade to 32gb.. it's not because they don't have more RAM.  It's because something is stopping it from working as it should.  Do you want to deal with something like this later?
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

BrianWJH

« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2014, 12:41:57 am »

Alan, I agree with Steve, the wallet pain now will be forgotten in short time.
Brian.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 12:47:05 am by BrianWJH »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2014, 08:56:05 am »

assuming there is the extra slot, could I buy two new ones later one and replace one and add one with the two new ones?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2014, 10:00:53 am »

Dell says the unit is furnished with two 8gb and two 4gb slots.  No expansion.  So our will cost another 300 dollars with the 3tb dRive instead of 2tb.  What do you think

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2014, 10:02:27 am »

And the 32gb memory.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2014, 02:05:15 pm »

Dell says the unit is furnished with two 8gb and two 4gb slots.  No expansion.  So our will cost another 300 dollars with the 3tb dRive instead of 2tb.  What do you think

If what they're telling you is true, they have some hokey motherboard in that machine and I wouldn't want it at any cost.   Go for the upgrade.

This is a problem with preconfigured systems, 100% of the time they buy the cheapest components possible to meet a targeted list of specifications.  Sometimes you get odd stuff.   Try to get common specifications and with a good warranty you'll be fine.  And in this case common would be 32g RAM.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2014, 02:25:12 pm »

I'm not sure it's worth it to spend$300 for 8gb memory.  Shouldn't 24 gb be enough? I have 2 year warranty.

BrianWJH

« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2014, 03:23:34 pm »

Alan, do you have the model number?

Just doesn't sound right with the differing memory slots, thinking (hoping) the sales people might have it wrong.

Brian.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2014, 03:33:53 pm »

Dell XPS 8700 Special Edition.  Lol good the 24gb.  You'll see the others there too.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2014, 03:37:49 pm »

What I'm hoping it's that they just put in two 4gb mem cards in the two slots but that they can be replaced with two 8gb.  Because the next one up has 32.  I can't imagine that they change from one model to the next on the same series.

BrianWJH

« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2014, 03:51:54 pm »

Dell supply large volumes to government, education and desk top businesses world wide, so penny pinching to fit models targetted to these markets is common as they are seldom upgraded but instead are replaced in a 3-5 year cycle.

Brian.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2014, 04:21:11 pm »

The model I bought is right below the high end gaming model and way above typical institutional models.  The model I bought is for home use.  Of course they're going to cut corners anyway.  But the dimms situation doesn't make fabRication sense

BrianWJH

« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2014, 04:37:03 pm »

Alan, found this response on the Dell forums.

Appears that the maximum ram that can be ordered is in fact 24gb, however it also seems possible to remove the 2x4gb sticks and replace with 2x8gb sticks after delivery, so all good in the end.

Brian.

Peter Mellis

« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2014, 05:54:43 pm »

Alan:

I am close to ordering a new computer (will go with Dell also) and am curious as to how much your configuration cost. Your needs seem to be pretty similar to mine and your setup is essentially what I had in mind. Thanks.

Peter

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2014, 06:05:07 pm »

I'm not sure it's worth it to spend$300 for 8gb memory.  Shouldn't 24 gb be enough? I have 2 year warranty.

It's just not for 8gb.  It's for a larger hard drive, a different motherboard and probably a higher capacity power supply and maybe a better case as well.  Are the video cards the same?  I'm guessing because you haven't posted links to the models you're considering, but usually there's a lot more to a different system then just memory.   You need to critically examine each one and decide what it's worth to you.

Is 24gb enough?  Well.. you can get buy with 4gb.  Or 8gb.  Or 16gb.   Each additional gigabyte of memory, up to a certain point specified by your work flow, will increase performance.   Only you can answer the question you asked.  And I know it's impossible for you to answer without a side by side comparison.   If it's any help I just replaced a 5 year old machine with 12gb and it worked fine.  But performance sure increased with 32gb.. a lot.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2014, 06:59:07 pm »

I am close to ordering a new computer (will go with Dell also)

why not w/ custom builders like xoticpc (for notebooks) or similar - Dell is barely configurable nowdays, is it not ?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2014, 07:44:14 pm »

OK so if I got this right, I can remove the two 4gb memories and replace with two 8gb memories if the 24gb is not enough.  No change to the motherboard or anything else.  Th existing dimms will handle the two 8gb.   Is that right?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2014, 07:56:47 pm »

Alan:

I am close to ordering a new computer (will go with Dell also) and am curious as to how much your configuration cost. Your needs seem to be pretty similar to mine and your setup is essentially what I had in mind. Thanks.

Peter

I got the XPS 8700 Special Edition with 2tb hard drive +256SSD and 24gb memory for 1,717.50 including shipping but before taxes but that was  a few days ago with a lesser price for President's day and a 4% discount because my wife's was a teacher.  That's why the upgrade would cost me $300 because I wouldn't get the sale price.  Note that this price includes Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2013 which runs aboiut $120. in the $1717.50.  Here's the web page for the different configutations at today's prices.  You can see there all the equipment that is standard in the package I bought
http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8700-se/pd

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2014, 08:02:01 pm »

Oh. that doesn't include a NEC monitor which I'm buying separately.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up