Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cost of "K" switch - Epson 9900  (Read 1205 times)

Garnick

Cost of "K" switch - Epson 9900
« on: January 08, 2014, 04:38:29 pm »

Although the vast majority of my work is printed on the 9900 using "photo papers"(usually Luster), I do have a percentage that requires the MK approach.  I also have a 7600MK that I've kept in working order for many years with which I print smaller sizes on matte papers and canvas.  That way I don't have to do the "K" switch on the 9900 and the accompanying cost of wasted ink.  Some of the work I do is wholesale printing for another lab here in town and obviously the margins are rather tight.  Therefore, I have to make sure my costs are kept to a minimum.  Recently the 7600 has shown signs of a severe problem with the MK that are reminiscent of a situation that involved a head replacement about 5 years ago.  I am loathe to put a new head in such old technology, as I'm sure you will all understand.  The last two times I've done the "K" switch on the 9900 I have measured the amount of ink dumped during the process and it works out to 3ml(PK>MK) and 5ml(MK>PK).  A total of 8ml dumped for the two way switch.  At $.34 per ml that amounts to $2.72 for the two way trip.  Of course that does not take into account the ink dumped during the obligatory cleaning cycle after the switch and before a nozzle check or print run.  I'm wondering if any of you folks have done these calculations and how they might measure up to mine.  I have been giving some serious thought to purchasing a 7890 and leaving it in MK mode for smaller print sizes, but that does seem to be a rather costly approach as well.  Of course the other, and perhaps more obvious approach would be to bite the bullet and count my loses on a one print job when forced to do the "K" switch, and do all of the work on the 9900.  And then the 7890 would also act a as backup printer if needed.  Somewhat of a dilemma to be sure, but perhaps you folks can add to the mix with some creative suggestions.

Gary      
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 04:40:57 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Cost of "K" switch - Epson 9900
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 04:44:49 pm »

but perhaps you folks can add to the mix with some creative suggestions.

Sell both Epsons and buy a Canon or HP wide format.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2014, 600+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 05:19:25 pm »

I don't even worry about the relatively minor cost of the Pk/Mk switch on the 9900.  I simply try my best to schedule my matte prints to be printed at one time, and the photo black prints at another.  The workflow makes sense anyway, since this also means I'm not swapping out rolls of different media as much either.

It may be time to put the 7600 out to pasture, but it certainly wouldn't make sense to sell both printers and go to Canon or HP, especially since your 9900 is working fine.  I'd try and see if the 9900 can handle the entire print workload. You'll quickly know if a second printer is needed.

ken

davidh202

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 07:15:42 pm »

I don't even worry about the relatively minor cost of the Pk/Mk switch on the 9900.  I simply try my best to schedule my matte prints to be printed at one time, and the photo black prints at another.  The workflow makes sense anyway, since this also means I'm not swapping out rolls of different media as much either.

ken

I agree the costs are negligible and believe it is better for the machine as it keeps the switching pump and PK/MK lines refreshed. ;-)

David

Farmer

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 08:20:48 pm »

Yep, overall the cost of changing shouldn't be an issue compared to all other production costs, particularly if you batch print.  If someone needs an urgent job that requires switching, just charge a $5- or $10- "urgent" fee and you've covered switching and back.
Phil Brown

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 09:14:23 pm »

+1

Charge more for those who need the print quickly or batch the prints. Maybe an easy solution would be to offer the matt prints only one day a week so you only need to make the trip once a week.

Also, don't be afraid to raise the rates a bit so your return isn't so tight for your wholesale client. Never a good idea to run close to the edge, IMO, since you'll both loose out in the long run.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

John Caldwell

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 03:26:18 pm »

Like others, I don't sweat the ink cost and have imagined the switch to be therapeutic in terms of channel hygiene. The ink cost seems small in relation to the other ink & paper costs I encounter in term as head clogs.

I didn't see your print sizes of the MK work. Is there any chance you could take care of your comparatively rare mk work with a 3880, left set up full time for matte workflow?

John Caldwell
Pages: [1]   Go Up