Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replace stolen MacBook Pro.  (Read 2767 times)

calindustries

• http://www.craiglacourt.com
Replace stolen MacBook Pro.
« on: January 08, 2014, 02:34:14 pm »

Long story short:
I've had all my gear and computers stolen while traveling. My travel insurance had lapsed. I have rebuild.

Anyway:
I had a late 2011 MBP with dual ssds and i7 with an anti glare screen. I've noticed that the new 15 inch MBPs only have retina screens. The apple sales person went on and on telling me how much better the retina screens are. But I'm not so sure for using in the field as far as glare.
Also I'm curious how they are for calibrating (I use an I1pro)

Does anyone have real world feedback on this?
 Should I go for the retina or try to find a refurbed anti glare version?

Many thanks,
Craig

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Replace stolen MacBook Pro.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 04:09:10 am »

Long story short:
I've had all my gear and computers stolen while traveling. My travel insurance had lapsed. I have rebuild.

Anyway:
I had a late 2011 MBP with dual ssds and i7 with an anti glare screen. I've noticed that the new 15 inch MBPs only have retina screens. The apple sales person went on and on telling me how much better the retina screens are. But I'm not so sure for using in the field as far as glare.
Also I'm curious how they are for calibrating (I use an I1pro)

Does anyone have real world feedback on this?
 Should I go for the retina or try to find a refurbed anti glare version?

Many thanks,
Craig

That's awful. My sympathy.

My 15" MBP died a few months ago. I was apprehensive about getting a retina display, without the anti-glare, but I've had absolutely no problems with it. I've used it mostly indoors, but I sit in the sun (when I'm on holiday, obviously: I live in Manchester) and I really don't notice any difficulty with reflections. The retina display is noticeably sharper: text is crisper and easier to read, which matters a lot to me.

I don't do much photo editing on it. The colours seem reasonably close to my iMac, though; both are profiled with an i1 display.

Jeremy

Lee Rentz

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 11:45:04 am »

I also use a retina MacBook Pro, and I don't recall any times when I wished I had a screen with less glare. It works really well. I now do all my major photo editing on the MacBook Pro, then just tweak the pictures as need be on a large, calibrated NEC monitor. The biggest consistent difference is that the apparent contrast on the MacBook screen is greater, so I often have to increase the contrast on the calibrated monitor. Colors are very consistent between the two, and I don't calibrate the laptop. 

quinn5452

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 07:44:21 pm »

Hey, my retina MacBook just got stolen, which is how I came to this thread. I used that machine for ten months, and I must say it has one of the best laptop screens I have ever used. I'd go with it again in a heartbeat. Right now I'm on a friends 2012 MacBook without retina and the screen is definitely worse.
Pages: [1]   Go Up