Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sumac Sketch  (Read 1047 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Sumac Sketch
« on: January 07, 2014, 06:30:10 pm »

I was out yesterday and am kicking myself for not having a tripod with me. The best I can call this is a sketch as it has a few flaws which distract me. However, I'm sharing it as it is helpful to share not just finished works, but also our sketches.

D800e w/ Micro-Nikkor 105/2.8 AF-D; handheld (one of the flaws!); 1/40 (another) f/8 @ ISO200 (should have bumped this to 400 or 800 for a faster shutter speed in the dwindling light)

I like the apparent chaos of this scene that, with further "staring" becomes less random and more ordered. I often "see" images like this in B&W, but have left it as colour as I enjoy the subtle tones and bit of red provided by the leftover sumac berry heads. It's a scene I will be pleased to photograph again as it is in one of my favourite haunts just a few km from home - perhaps on a rainy day as wet trunks will lower their values somewhat and perhaps provide a bit more texture.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Sumac Sketch
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 08:02:33 pm »

I find that very satisfying, Terry. I often try to do similar things.
The only thing I might be tempted to do with this is to crop about 8% off the left edge, so the big Y-form branches are closer to the center. They seem to frame a sort of pathway leading back into the bush, inviting my eye to wander in.

I'd love to see variants as you get back to visit this scene again. To me it has a lot going on in it.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 09:44:33 pm »

I find that very satisfying, Terry. I often try to do similar things.
The only thing I might be tempted to do with this is to crop about 8% off the left edge, so the big Y-form branches are closer to the center. They seem to frame a sort of pathway leading back into the bush, inviting my eye to wander in.

Agreed and done. Thanks Eric.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

churly

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 12:38:10 am »

I've tried this kind of shot with alders a number of times but haven't been brave enough to post any.  I am interestred to see your follow-ups.
Chuck Hurich

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 01:40:26 am »

Nicely done, Terry.  Did something similar a couple of years ago with some hardhack, but I like yours better.  We don't get much snow out here, but occasionally.

Waves by wolfnowl, on Flickr

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 03:31:09 pm »

Nicely seen. I'd like to spend some time with a big print.
Pages: [1]   Go Up