Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Vivid Magenta in Epson 7800?  (Read 2459 times)

profmills

Using Vivid Magenta in Epson 7800?
« on: January 07, 2014, 07:11:38 am »

Has anyone tried to use the vivid magenta inks designed for the 7880 in a 7800? I see warnings that it will harm the printer but wonder if anyone has actually swapped chip sets and tried it.

I.T. Supplies

Re: Using Vivid Magenta in Epson 7800?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 11:02:29 am »

There is a good chance it will not work properly in the printer since the magenta ink formula is different for each series (excluding the 7890/7900 which are the same).  I haven't heard of anyone doing to say honestly, but I wouldn't chance it unless you have a back up printer for safety.

aaronchan

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 11:04:09 am »

I'm not sure if the ink cart will fit into it, as I remember, it shouldn't.
But let's say you use Cone Color ink from inkjetmall, which is very good refillable pigment ink, then you can just fill up the third party cart with the VM and VLM. At least this is how I did before I swapped to my lovely canon now.

aaron

shadowblade

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 06:33:07 pm »

There's no reason it shouldn't work, although you'd need a custom profile to make it work properly with the new ink. I've even run HP inks through an Epson 9800 without a problem. Not sure about the 7900/9900 series, though - the new 360-nozzle head is apparently much more prone to clogging.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 08:28:16 pm »

There's no reason it shouldn't work...

I don't know, but I suspect the chip's in the cart's would make this difficult or impossible.
Doesn’t sound like a very good idea.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

shadowblade

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 08:50:34 pm »

I don't know, but I suspect the chip's in the cart's would make this difficult or impossible.
Doesn’t sound like a very good idea.

Third-party inksets have been using Epson printers for a long time. Some - especially the black-and-white inksets - are very good.

One of the big advantages of piezo heads is that you can put almost anything in them and they'll print just fine, clogs notwithstanding.
Pages: [1]   Go Up