Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: keywords- Mavericks no colour management Colormunki  (Read 3933 times)

John Chardine

• chardine photography
keywords- Mavericks no colour management Colormunki
« on: January 05, 2014, 08:09:40 pm »

Hi all- Very sorry of this is old hat but I did my due diligence and ran some searches on this forum to no avail.

I have a new xrite Colormunki Photo and have been trying to create some ICC printer profiles for my Epson 7600 (MK on matte papers). On a few papers I have had trouble reading some of the calibration strips, particularly strip 4 on page 1. I think it is because I did not have colour management turned off and the swatches are too far out of bounds, so I am trying to figure out how to turn colour management off while printing from the Colormunki software in Mavericks. Note that the calibration pages cannot be printed outside of the Colormunki software, as far as I know.

Through web searches I have learned that a while back in earlier Mac OSX versions there was a checkbox to disable colour management. However, as of Snow Leopard (and maybe before), there was no such option and a workaround was published by xrite as follows:

"Under the Color Matching menu select ColorSync (not Vendor Matching)
In the popup menu that appears select Generic RGB (not "Automatic"). Please note this step is critical to printing your testcharts without color management.
Set up your remaining options for paper type, output quality, resolution as usual and print the charts."

I have not found any update to this workaround for later Mac OSX versions. My question therefore, is- is this the way to do it in Mavericks or is there a better way?

RachelleK

Re: keywords- Mavericks no colour management Colormunki
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 09:59:16 pm »

Hi all- Very sorry of this is old hat but I did my due diligence and ran some searches on this forum to no avail.

I have a new xrite Colormunki Photo and have been trying to create some ICC printer profiles for my Epson 7600 (MK on matte papers).

Through web searches I have learned that a while back in earlier Mac OSX versions there was a checkbox to disable colour management. However, as of Snow Leopard (and maybe before), there was no such option and a workaround was published by xrite as follows:

"Under the Color Matching menu select ColorSync (not Vendor Matching)
In the popup menu that appears select Generic RGB (not "Automatic"). Please note this step is critical to printing your testcharts without color management.
Set up your remaining options for paper type, output quality, resolution as usual and print the charts."

I have not found any update to this workaround for later Mac OSX versions. My question therefore, is- is this the way to do it in Mavericks or is there a better way?

I think this is only applicable to Canon drivers.  For Epson drivers (at least for the 3880) you can select Epson Color Controls under Color Matching and then under Printer Settings you can select Off No Color Management.

John Chardine

• chardine photography
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 06:56:13 am »

Thanks. That looks like the solution.

John Chardine

• chardine photography
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 08:38:25 am »

I think this is only applicable to Canon drivers.  For Epson drivers (at least for the 3880) you can select Epson Color Controls under Color Matching and then under Printer Settings you can select Off No Color Management.

Having read this thread and associated links:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=63451.80

I am now not sure if this is a solution.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 12:00:02 pm »

I can't speak for Mavericks, but in Lion the ColorMunki software appears not to disable colour management satisfactorily (given all the uncertainties around Apple's colour management workflow).

Take a look at this discussion:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=63451.0

The short answer is that the consensus was that using Adobe's ‘Color Printer Utility’ to print the targets gave the most reliable results.  It can be downloaded from here:
http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/no-color-management-option-missing.html

Using it with a ColorMunki is a bit convoluted.  Short instructions…
Using the ColorMunki to generate the file for printing you need to use the print dialogue to save the file as a PDF instead of printing it.  Open the PDF in Photoshop ensuring that it does not colour manage the file (i.e. attach a profile to it).  Then save it as TIFF which can then be opened by the Color Printer Utility.  Then print.

Unfortunately there is a bug in the Color Printer Utility which means that the chart of patches prints off to one side.  It is still possible to read them with the Munki however.

I hope this helps.  If you need more detailed instructions post me a message and I will endeavour to help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up