Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Phase Back to buy? IQ160,IQ180,IQ260,IQ280???  (Read 20921 times)

Graham Welland

Re: Which Phase Back to buy? IQ160,IQ180,IQ260,IQ280???
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 04:17:17 pm »

Is sending pictures via wifi live? I mean does it acts as live view on back own LCD or you can just check the pictures via wifi that you have already taken?

Shoot -> xfers view to iPad via wifi in real time for review/zoom etc. Not live view. Also, all images stay on the CF card and are not transferred to the iPad. You can connect and view but no offline capabilities. (This is where I personally think Phase One could add some capabilities even with just a hi-res jpg download)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:19:32 pm by Graham Welland »
Graham

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 04:47:53 pm »

Ditto to Graham's comments. 

You can view, full screen to a 100% view.  I believe you can create a custom white balance from the iPad (the eye dropper is there) and delete the files you choose.  You can also give them the * (star) from * to *****.  This is also possible from the back, but nice to be able to preview/delete from the larger screen.

If you have a DF or DF+ body, there is a lot more camera control that can be done through the Capture Pilot app on the iPad

My issues/concerns in a nutshell:

1.  App is way out of date for the Apple iOS 7,  Most apps have now updated for iOS7 (paid apps).  The way iOS7 views an adhoc network connection is totally different than iOS6 and this causes a lot of connection issues and staying connected issues with any iOS7 device.

2.  NO support for non Apple devices, non iOS.  This too bad as there many other tablets that have better (much better) screens for outdoor viewing than any of the current Apple devices. 

3.  Capture Pilot does not appear to fully support the resolution of the retina display.  This is becoming a bigger issue now that Apple is Phasing out the mini (non retina) display and also the non-retina display iPads.  Yes, you can still get them, but they are base config and 16GB of ram is just enough to run the device.   So when you view an image on the retina display at full screen, it's just barely no there.  Like looking at a screen just out of register.  I have trained my eyes to view this but it would be great to get support for this excellent screen (if Angry Birds can do it I can't see why Phase can't).   Zooming to 100% the image gets harder to really tell what's in focus and I tend to shrink down the image just a bit.  Yes, the old iPad mini screen is better suited for this, however that is by far the worst screen Apple ever made, as in any ambient light it's basically a mirror. You can at least get by with the retina outdoors.  Retina on the new mini is the same resolution as the iPad air. So these viewing issues may even be worse on the new mini.

4.  Phase One backs display images in the Order shot, i.e. most recent image with display on the LCD.  Capture Pilot goes all the way back to the first image which is strange to me.  Since Capture Pilot is only grabbing about 20 to 30 images at a time to load the thumbnails, it can get confused when you scroll all the way to the end to see the most currently taken image.

5.  About 30% of the time after you make the GOLDEN CONNECTION with a iOS7 device, Capture Pilot will loose it and you have to do one of the following:
a.  reboot the back (works for me about 15% of the time)
b.  reboot the iPad (works about 25 to 35% of the time)
c.  reboot both iPad and back and then futz around with the Capture Pilot server connection until it sees the back again.

It's still better than no WiFi and I do use it in the field quite often.  I use an iPad gen 4 and the battery life is good for all day and then some. 

Still a bit disappointed with Phase One since this is a Premier feature IMO for the IQ2, and iOS7 for developers was out in March or April of 2013.  Plenty of time to test for the issues with the way the new OS handled the adhoc connection.   I doubt that the WiFi card in the back is programmable as most tend to be a static firmware implementation, but hopefully Phase can figure out a way to get a more stable connection, and more importantly a version of Capture Pilot that will take full advantage of the retina display. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 05:18:31 pm »

iOS7 support is forthcoming. No exact ETA other than it will be weeks not months.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 05:35:53 pm »

Doug,

Good to hear that, any idea if the resolution issue on retina will or can be addressed?

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Doug Peterson

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 05:52:10 pm »

Good to hear that, any idea if the resolution issue on retina will or can be addressed?

I can't comment on specifics. Sorry! But I'm eager to share the moment an update is public.  ;D

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 06:44:11 pm »

I would REALLY like to see Capture Pilot support for Windows 8 tablets. Yes, I can run C1Pro on them, but sometimes, you just need the "Light" version without all the bells and whistles.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Doug Peterson

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 07:02:45 pm »

I would REALLY like to see Capture Pilot support for Windows 8 tablets. Yes, I can run C1Pro on them, but sometimes, you just need the "Light" version without all the bells and whistles.

The chances of this are slim to none.

However, you can already remove any/all tools from C1 and rearrange the user interface to be as simple as you want. For instance if desired you can have a histogram and the main image only. The default UI for C1 is not an obstacle to configuring the software to be as simple or complex as you wish it to be.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2014, 08:08:37 pm »

The chances of this are slim to none.

However, you can already remove any/all tools from C1 and rearrange the user interface to be as simple as you want. For instance if desired you can have a histogram and the main image only. The default UI for C1 is not an obstacle to configuring the software to be as simple or complex as you wish it to be.

That's as close to an official response that I'll get, so I'll take it. :D

Would be nice if C1Pro allowed wireless tethering too (As far as I am aware of, it doesn't). Won't work on my Credo of course, but could be useful for IQ2 owners as well as owners of new gen DSLRs that have built in wifi.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2014, 08:38:18 pm »

I think the sheer size of the raw's from the 60 or 80MP would be a push for current wireless.  For tethering don't you need the entire file size to come across? 

What I would like is the Capture Pilot app written for the Mac OS or windows.  But I don't know if the adhoc wireless would connect to a PC like it sometimes does to a iPad.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

narikin

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 08:59:18 am »

IQ160.

No question. Best value out there right now.
The 260 is not worth the significantly extra bucks.

gerald.d

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 09:17:32 am »

IQ160.

No question. Best value out there right now.
The 260 is not worth the significantly extra bucks.

Surely this very much depends on whether you want/need the long exposure capability of the 260?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 10:33:59 am »

Surely this very much depends on whether you want/need the long exposure capability of the 260?

I'd agree with that.

At one extreme - someone who isn't going to use the wireless feature and never shoots more than 20ish second exposures the extra cost of the 260 is surely not worthwhile.

At the other extreme - someone who often wants or needs to shoot multi-minute exposures the price difference is moot - the 160 will not work for their needs.

Most people fall in between those two extremes and will have to decide on the [cost difference] vs. [improvement in long exposure, wireless review/edit/control, and a modest gain in DR/noise].

Unless you fall close to one of those extreme my suggestion is, if at all possible, to work with a good dealer, workshop, friend or forum member, or rental house, to evaluate both on a real-world shoot representative of your needs. Failing that a good dealer can get you sample raw files illustrating what you can expect out of both backs at a variety of ISOs, modes, and exposure lengths. Failing that, your posts here and feedback from others can be useful (but you must always read the suggestions with a grain of salt and, when practical take into consideration their other posts/contributions and compare their needs to your own). Failing that I suggest Tarot cards :).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:36:59 am by Doug Peterson »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 12:34:03 pm »

Doug,

Would it also be fair to state that the P65+/160 chip/controllers have reached their end as far as anymore improvements from Phase One to image quality?  I would hope that as the 260 is a totally new chip that their will be some enhancements (minor or not) to the overall image capabilities of the 260 chip, mainly in noise readout for iso 50. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up