Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Phase Back to buy? IQ160,IQ180,IQ260,IQ280???  (Read 20931 times)

Shrev94412

• Phase One, Fuji GFX100, Nikon and Leica Q2 Shooter
    • Shreve Fine Art
Which Phase Back to buy? IQ160,IQ180,IQ260,IQ280???
« on: January 05, 2014, 02:14:15 pm »

I hope this doesn't start a controversy.....What am i looking for is some advice on which Phase Back to purchase from the Phase Users here on LL. I know many of you have probably owned several versions of these backs and have figured out what works and what works even better.

Here is the situation. I currently shoot a Nikon D800E and Nikon D4 with all Nikon High End Glass. I also, predominately, use for Landscape my Hasselblad H4D-40 with the Hassey 28mm, 80% of the time. I also have the Hassey 35-90mm and the Hassey 50-110mm which I use either about 20% of the time. I really like the images from the Hasselblad, they are clean, high res, sharp once processed, great color, great dynamic range. But, I am frustrated because you cannot take an H4D-40 back and attach it to a tech camera such as a Alpa, Cambo, etc. Nor can you do this with the new Hasselblad H5D backs. Frustrating.

What I am looking at doing is Buying a Phase One back IQ160 or Higher and attaching to an Alpa FPS with the Rodenstock 32mm Short barrel lens (If that works) with an Alpa Tilt/Shift Adapter. I was looking at an Alpa SWA but believe the FPS may be a better solution as I could also use my Nikon and Hasselblad Zeiss Glass with appropriate mounts if I so desired (understanding based on Research). Why do I want to do this? More resolution/pixels and even better glass, maybe the best glass (Agree?). I have a large MAC Pro and I am about to buy the new Mac Pro so file size should n't be an issue as far as processing and storage.

What do I shoot in medium format?, predominately Landscape. If something is moving I pull out my Nikon. Do I need long exposure? NO. I do not shoot architecture and have never used my Hasselblad indoors. Do I need wireless? I don't think so unless you can give me a compelling reason. I will not hike 4 miles with an ipad...LOL. I rarely look at my images until i get back to hotel or camp other than through the viewfinder/rear display.  

So what would you recommend? IQ160,IQ180,IQ260,IQ280??? I realize I can trade in my Hassey for a 40% discount on a new Phase One but for some reason I am hesitant to do that as I want to be absolutely sure. Also there is beginning to be a fair amount of used Phase  on the market with "Value Add Warranty" left, Yes, I have done a Phase One Demo in which a rep came to my office and we took a few shots and looked at the user interface. What I have found with cameras is that you really don't know what you have until you take it in the field and start using it. And that can be an expensive proposition.....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and as always I appreciate this Forum.

If this issue has already been covered I apologize, just send me the link. Please excuse any Typos....Thanks
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 03:04:19 pm by Shrev94412 »
Check out my work at www.shrevefineart.com

Graham Welland

Re: Which Phase Back to buy? IQ160,IQ180,IQ260,IQ280???
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 03:50:37 pm »

Robert,

Personally I think that the epitome of versatility with Phase One backs is either the IQ260 or IQ160. You can use these with just about any of the DSLR and technical camera glass. My own journey was Aptus 65 -> P40+ -> IQ160 (with P25+ for long exposures) and now IQ260 which does it all. Given that you're not bothered by long exposure or the wireless capabilities then the IQ2 series is probably not necessary for your needs. I only upgraded to get the long exposure capabilities and thus could combine two backs (P25+ & IQ160) in one with the IQ260.

If you want to shoot with technical cameras or FPS and accept that you're going to likely need Rodenstock wide angles then an IQ180 might fit your needs better in terms of absolute resolution and colour tonality. There certainly is benefit with the extra resolution and it goes beyond just detail. I chose not to go with the IQ180 when I upgraded from my P40+ because it would have required a complete refresh of all of my technical camera wide angle glass - an expensive proposition for little gain for me personally. It seems like this wouldn't be a concern for you.

(Btw, we met in Zion/Capitol Reef - I was the Alpa/IQ160 guy)
Graham

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 04:21:04 pm »

I can't add much to the comments by Graham. 

As Graham pointed out, the 160/260 solution gives you more lenses to pick from, i.e. Schneiders and Rodenstocks.  The Schneider 28mm, 35mm and 43mm really do not work well with the 180/280 especially on shifts.  But even on center the corrections needed by Capture One are pretty severe.  I bet on the 260, when I upgraded from the 160 to 260 hoping that we will see some more image improvements to the 260 in the next 1.5 years or so.  I don't think Phase will be doing much more for the 160/P65+ backs.  Based on the technology of the 260 (being an all new chip) I hope Phase will continue to improve the quality of iso 50 and give possibly even some more room up to iso 400.  This may not be possible but only time will tell. 

But Wifi has been a positive improvement for me. I was at first not impressed by the 260's wifi, however I have become rather attached to it.  There are a lot of times when shooting with the tech camera setup, where I just don't want to bend down to check everything on the LCD, i.e. focus, exposure.  Many of my setups will end up having me in the tripod low down or on in a position where bending over to check the LCD is a bit of pain.  This happens a bit more as you get order it seems.   The iPad is not that heavy, and you can actually get a better view with the Mini (non retina) and the mini is feather weight. 

It's also a nice feature to be able look at the images on the bigger screen of the iPad, away from the camera sitting down and taking your time to preview them.  My eye's just can't take a full day on the LCD of the camera anymore and the larger screen of the iPad is a nice relief. The Wifi does tax the battery a bit more, but nowhere as much as zero latency does or Live View.  Once you get used to how the image look on the iPad retina display you can easily judge focus and scroll through the entire days shoot.  Is Wifi on the IQ260 perfect?, no it has a lot of room for improvement especially since iOS7, but it's hopefully something that Phase One will continue to improve on (hopefully with the current product set).

As much as I did not thing it would, the Wifi capability of the 260 has changed my shooting style for the better IMO and I find myself looking for the same wifi setup in my other cameras. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Graham Welland

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 04:50:45 pm »

Like Paul, when it works, the wifi with an iPad mini is a nice combination for reviewing images in the field and really isn't a bind to carry in the field. Adhoc mode is randomly unreliable for me with iPads but strangely very reliable if my iPhone connects wirelessly to it first. A work in progress but surprisingly useful at times.
Graham

nutcracker

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 05:09:38 pm »

I have high end Nikon gear, got Phase DF system 2 years ago. First with IQ140, then moved to IQ180.
As my first foray into Technical, I bought Alpa FPS with Nikon adapter. The PC-E lenses work well. The 85 fully covers the IQ180 field and is good at the edges at f5.6-8. The 24 does not cover the field (probably would on the cropped IQ140), is soft at the edges until f11 and diffraction then affects the central field. Still very good for much landscape.

However, after getting Rodenstock FPS HR32, the Nikon lenses have been retired. The HR is absolutely stunning, as is an SK90 Apo in SB34 mount with tilt/swing adapter that I have just recently obtained.

You cannot go wrong with one of the IQ backs, on a tech of your liking and Rodenstock or SK lenses.
And if you go for Phase body, the 240 SK LS is stunning for longer range landscapes, and likely to be so also on the Alpa when the auto-aperture version of the Phase/Mamiya adapter becomes available.

Shrev94412

• Shreve Fine Art
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 05:16:23 pm »

Graham and Paul,

Thank you so much for your input. It confirms what I have researched that the IQ160 or IQ260 is most likely the way to go. I won't rule out the IQ180. I will give more thought to wireless with the IQ2 Series. Graham from your message you went with the IQ160 due to your current glass. If you started from scratch would you go with the IQ180? Also, what glass do you guys absolutely love? I want this to be a long term solution if possible, if there is such a possibility...LOL

Nutcracker.......I have heard that the Rodenstock FPS HR32 is amazing...I want that lens for sure!

(Graham, How are you? I do remember you from the Zion trip! That was a great trip)

Joe Towner

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 05:21:26 pm »

Hello,

Take it easy, as you can use the H backs on a technical camera, it can be a pain though.  Since you have nice glass you like, going to the H5D with the battery adapter is a direct solution without extras:

https://captureintegration.com/new-hasselblad-battery-adapter-for-h5d-and-h4d-60/

Another option would be to power the back over firewire - I've got a H4D-50 and am planning this method.  So, take one:
https://captureintegration.com/product/fw800-firewire-powered-hub/
and add in a http://www.paulcbuff.com/vm120.php  and you should be good on any technical camera with a H mount.

I love the Phase equipment, but jumping over can be extremely expensive.  But this comes down to work flow, and what works best for you.  Bugging CI about this is on my to do list, as is getting a Cambo on rent.

Now, with that said, if you were to put the money into it, I'd say IQ260 all the way.  1 hour exposures and wifi are enough to make it worth wild.  I shot with one last summer, it gave me a serious case of GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) and thus my Hasselblad.  I would also point out that the P45+ back is the same Kodak chip as the Hasselblad, with the internal battery.
t: @PNWMF

Graham Welland

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 05:52:10 pm »

Graham from your message you went with the IQ160 due to your current glass. If you started from scratch would you go with the IQ180? Also, what glass do you guys absolutely love? I want this to be a long term solution if possible, if there is such a possibility...LOL

Had I not been invested in Schneider tech camera glass I probably would have gone to the IQ180 as the incremental cost from my P40+ wasn't a huge leap compared to the IQ160 once I'd made that commitment. I would have just bought a single wide Rodenstock lens such as the 32mm or 40mm vs the SK 32/47 pair that I had. In the end I picked up a Rodie 23HR anyways for super wide and I'm looking at consolidating my wider Schneider glass to a Rodie 40HR so that I can use tilt/swing with the Alpa with wider glass.

In reality for most shooting the IQ180/280 does provide more than adequate long exposure support (up to 2 mins) - longer than the IQ160 actually. However, I shoot scenes that enter in to the many minutes realm and that really required a different solution and so I went to the IQ260. There's an additional benefit too if you are shooting low light because the long exposure mode is at ISO140 vs ISO50 native and so you can shoot clean multi-second low light images with a shorter exposure. The same shots with an IQ180/280 require either raising the ISO (and noise) or shooting for longer (and hence potentially more noise).
Graham

Shrev94412

• Shreve Fine Art
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 05:58:40 pm »

Joe,

The reason I have not considered the Hassey option is that Alpa does not recommend it or support it from what I can tell. That is based on a email directly from Alpa in response to that exact question. In addition, my Hasselblad dealer gave me a quote to go from the H4D-40 to the H5D-60 with the external battery option and it was $24,250 (I realize a Phase One will cost more than this). I think that is excessive in my opinion. The price I was given  to go to the H4D-40 to the H5D-40 was $11,500 (Not bad but basically a vertical move). Reason number 3 is that I was told the H4D-40 would work with a Tech camera when I bought it. It does not. Don't get me wrong. I love the H4D-40 camera but, i want more dynamic range and better glass and more options from an open system.

Regardless, I will research your response and it is much appreciated.

Thank You
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 06:51:44 pm by Shrev94412 »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 07:26:08 pm »

On the 180 or 160 question, my first decision made at upgrade time from P45+ to 160 was simply due to cost.  The 180 was considerably more expensive and I just did not have the budget to cover the 180 upgrade and tech camera. 

Since then I have been lucky enough to work with a 180 2x and now a have briefly have a 280 (my back is in for repair for the wifi cover).  What I found out was that the files in 16 bit when worked up from the 180 quickly get to 2GB in size and can approach 3GB with layers.  I am not a Mac user, but have a pretty fast Windows machine and have been working with the Wx systems since around 1986.  I don't personally feel a mac (new or current) will process the files any faster.  A 3GB file takes time to save, layering gets cumbersome and I tend to shift on everything I shoot even if I don't want a pano since I like to shift.  Never know if I will want one later.  Add in the LCC for each image and things just get pretty big.  I noticed right away with a 384MB raw conversion from the 180.  Wonderful images, I can't take a thing away from them.  Just big. 

The one feature I miss on the 180 is the sensor plus at 20MB instead of 15MB on the 160.  There are many times I just can't shoot at 50 due to outdoor conditions and for now the 260 at iso 400 is pretty much the same as the 160.  Just a bit too much noise and loss of color details.  Tech cameras can exacerbate this more since many of the lenses I shoot need a CF and this will cut down exposure by 2.5 stops on average.  I have read all the posts on just how well you can uprez the sensor plus images from either back, but I have yet to find any software tool that gets you close to the 60mp res. 

This brings up the other issue on the 180/280, base iso is 35.  These backs just prefer to be at base iso.  You are going to get the best images quality from this.  In my territory, iso 35 can be very hard to work with, early morning, with a slight wind and you are up to iso 100, or 200 pretty quick and many days I just have too much wind to get a decent shutter speed without blur.  Here I see the 160/260 with a slight advantage in that you are starting at iso50.  In theory, you can also turn on the 260 at long exposure base iso of 140 and get a bit cleaner file.  (this is one of those areas I am still hoping to see some image quality improvement on).

Back to your lenses question.  From the ones I have used in the field.  I am mainly wide oriented.  Plus once you find the hyperfocal range of your wide, for my work, I rarely need to change focus.  Not true from 60mm on out. 

Rod 28.  Excellent lens wide open.  I use the CF on mine as it does make a difference in corner noise.  If pushed due to light/wind etc. I will go without the CF.  This is an excellent lens across the back range.  On the 180 I picked up a bit more color shift even on center, but the LCC corrected it fine.  It's a dream lens and and F8 my range is around 12f to infinity with 1/2 a degree of tilt on the 160/260/180etc.  This lens will flare and flare is destructive.   I use mine from F5.6 to F16.  F16 will show slight diffraction softness, but not enough to matter for me.  Shifts, only about 7mm max, as you hit the vignetting disc that Rodenstock places in all their lenses to tell you where the Image circle limit is.  It's too bas as this lens on a 260 would easily make 10mm maybe 12mm of shift.  IC is 70mm  Lens is big and heavy, about as heavy as a Nikon 24-70 maybe a bit heavier.

Rod 32, as good as it gets, but it's also around 10K with the CF and just too much for me.  It's also a more delicate lens and many folks have had issues with the outer elements becoming out of alignment due to the mass of glass beyond the shutter.  This lens will shift to around 15mm before you hit the disc.  It will easily make 20mm if you don't mind cropping.  Some shot it without the CF I have only shot one with the CF.  Not filter friendly if you use the CF and will only hold one normal screw in filter before you vignette due to the filters.  But it's an excellent piece of glass and probably has only be surpassed by the new Rodenstock 90mm SW (yellow band also around 10K)
This lens is heavy and bulky.

Schneider 35mm, one of the standards out there for tech cameras.  Recessed lens board makes getting your hands on the shutter and aperture settings a bit tricky.  Less distortion on center than the Rodenstocks.  On a 60MP back you can still get around 8mm maybe 10mm of shift depending on the subject.  Past that and you will see detail smearing and extreme loss of color saturation.  This lens can have centerfolding issues on Phase Backs, especially on shifts.  Most times this can be fixed by the dealer but sometimes it just can't be.  Amazingly sharp lens and very light weight.  Requires the CF all the time.  On the 80MP backs you will see just too much color shifting even on center to use this lens.  The LCC just can't fix it all.  CF takes around 2.5 stops and best aperture range I have found is from F11 to F16, pretty limited but if you can hit there excellent results.

Rod 40mm, one great piece of glass.  I upgraded to used one mid this year.  It had to go back to Rodenstock as the lens was out of alignment on the lower right corner.  (Thanks to Rod Klukas for his help here).  This lens is amazing and I have just about quit using the 35 Schneider anymore.  No CF needed, so right away you have more light to work with.  This lens is excellent from around F5.6 to F11, and I believe Rodenstock states best results will be F8.  I have taken mine to F16 and it does suffer from diffraction issues here.  Shfits to 18mm on the 60MP backs, not sure on the 80MP backs.  At 15mm you hit the disk inside so again you will be cropping out top and bottom if you go past 15mm.  This lens is famous for a center flare issue and it will get this issue sometimes even with the sun at your back.  I use a hood (Lee setup) on mine at all times and so far have not had any issues.  Very versatile lens, not as heavy as the 28 Rod and bit smaller, but it's still big compared to the Schneiders. THis lens does not seem to have as big an issue with centerfolding as the Schneiders even on hard shifts.  I have shifted mine all the way to 20mm and besides the top and bottom vignetting, the results are stunning.

Schneider 43mm, wonderful lens.  Will be selling mine soon as the 40mm has taken it's place.  No flare issues unless shooting directly at the sun.  Much lighter and smaller than the 40mm Rod.  I would say this lens is excellent from F8 to F16.  F16 may be a push.  I use the CF on mine and it does make a difference.  You can expect to shift this lens to about 12mm on the 60MP before you start to see detail smearing and sat fall off.  On the 80MP back I found that I was limited to only about 8mm of shift before the details were smeared and the LCC would not totally correct the magenta shifting.  Still very sharp and I have taken many a great series with this lens and it has never disappointed me. 

Schneider 60mm,  excellent lens, IMO as sharp as the Rod 28mm.  This lens is where shifting gets fun.  You can push this lens to 25mm of shift and most times the LCC will totally correct the image.  Not heavy, and good from around F8 to F16.  As is the case with all the Schneiders I have used, they are not be best wide open or close to wide open.
This lens requires me to use a laser range finder and the DOF can get a bit more tricky.  I don't have as much experience with it as I do the others but again I just don't need the focal length as much in Arkansas.  I have the CF on this also, but you can get away with not using it pretty easily. 

You can't go wrong with either back.  However I can't see too much improvement to the 280 from Phase since the 280 was basically a push to the 180 (280 uses the same chip as the 180) but has different controller cards, has wifi etc .  But you never know.  Right now I feel that most the R&D at Phase is on a CMOS solution. 

Got a bit wordy on this one.
Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 08:57:54 pm »

I'll throw a curveball.

Since you don't need long exposures, why not a Credo 60? More cost effective than a phase (Unless you get a good deal on a 160 refurb) and has almost all the good things you get with Phase.

It doesn't have focus mask though, if that's a concern for you.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Graham Welland

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 10:07:12 pm »

Credo 60/80 - yes both excellent options! You might want to compare colour too between the phase/leaf and your hasselblad back to see what you prefer. The IQ backs do have a subtly different palette to the Leaf, particularly with skin tones but I also see it with greens when I compare my aptus and also images I've seen from the credo. It's a personal thing - personally I wish that I could apply leaf profiles to my IQ back but phamiya would rather I buy another back.

You do lose some of the nice features of the IQ back as mentioned but you also save significant money for equivalent resolution.

Regarding lenses, what Paul said! One thing that might be different between Alpa and arca is that the SK 35mm doesn't require a recessed mount on the Alpa so no fiddly issues with controls. If I were buying a futureproof outfit today I must admit that I would start off with the Rodenstock wides, albeit at a significant extra cost up front.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:10:00 pm by Graham Welland »
Graham

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 10:26:59 pm »

Go with a 60MP back.  They are proven effective with tech camera lenses, whereas the x80 backs don't like those as much.  The ipad app based operation of the IQ2 is appealing. 

Personally, I would look at an H4D-60.  The files are gorgeous, you have the glass already, and the back works superbly on view and tech cameras by every account I've heard (I have the camera, but have not yet used it on a tech camera). You should be able to find a H4-60 for  under $20K these days. Selling or trading your 4-40 will bring it down to a much more manageable upgrade - in the $8K-$10K range I would guess.

If you feel compelled to go Phasemiya, I think Synn is right and you should look at the Credo as well.  Same chip for less money, and you might like the interface as much or better.

Cheers,

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 11:14:06 pm »

I think the back can be mounted on an Alpa, and powered externally, but as it is a microlensed sensor, you can have color shading issues with shifting wides, but I think you can make a white exposure and deal with the problem in software. Retrofocus lens designs like the Nikon, Canon and Schneider shifts should be ok, so you might try the Alpa FPS.

Edmund

Joe,

The reason I have not considered the Hassey option is that Alpa does not recommend it or support it from what I can tell. That is based on a email directly from Alpa in response to that exact question. In addition, my Hasselblad dealer gave me a quote to go from the H4D-40 to the H5D-60 with the external battery option and it was $24,250 (I realize a Phase One will cost more than this). I think that is excessive in my opinion. The price I was given  to go to the H4D-40 to the H5D-40 was $11,500 (Not bad but basically a vertical move). Reason number 3 is that I was told the H4D-40 would work with a Tech camera when I bought it. It does not. Don't get me wrong. I love the H4D-40 camera but, i want more dynamic range and better glass and more options from an open system.

Regardless, I will research your response and it is much appreciated.

Thank You
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Graham Welland

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 11:55:58 pm »

As mentioned by Nick & Edmund, the only reason that the HD-40 isn't recommended on an Alpa nor any tech camera is due to the micro lenses on the sensor which will create horrible vignette/colour casts. A Hassy back without micro-lenses will work fine on an Alpa or other tech cam with the proviso that you need external power. There's no Hassy hate by the tech camera manufacturers :)
Graham

gerald.d

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 03:27:12 am »

Careful.

You can't use the T/S adapter with the 32HR FPS on the FPS.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

AreBee

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 08:20:15 am »

Paul,

Got a bit wordy on this one.

And long may you continue to do so. :) Great review of a range of lenses from a real world perspective and very much appreciated by me, and I am sure by others. Many thanks for this.

Regards,

Shrev94412

• Shreve Fine Art
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 11:33:54 am »

All of your comments and information you have provided is extremely helpful. I really appreciate your taking time out of your busy day to provide such good information. I just sent an email to Hasselblad Dealer, Leaf/Credo and to Phase dealer. It is interesting to note that the Hasselblad website on the H5D-60 page states that that back can be used on a Tech Camera. I believe looking at all three in a 60MP version may be the best option. I need to see the wireless capability of the Phase to be convinced that the IQ2 would be a better option than the IQ. As to the rest I believe it comes to to color and image quality as Graham had mentioned above. I would like to try and possibly buy the Rodie HR32 and then the decision comes down to which Tech Camera. Its nice to have such good choices.

Again thanks for all the feedback. I feel I am better educated from users of these products to make a better choice or at least a better choice for the way I shoot.

JKevinScott

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 06:00:48 pm »

I bought an IQ280 shortly after they were announced and used a loaner IQ180 for several months waiting for the IQ280 to ship.  Having put some serious field hours in on both units, I can say that there isn't a whole lot of difference in the two in terms of my landscape work and workflow.  I never use the WiFi / iPad functionality in the field.  Image quality seems to be about the same.  There are some tiny little things that appear to be better on the IQ280, e.g., they seem to have moved the CF slot ever so slightly further away from the slot door which makes extracting the cards easier for fat-fingered folks like me.  In other words, there isn't enough difference between the IQ180 and the IQ280 given my work and requirements that would make me want to upgrade.  If I were redoing my purchase, I might have just bought the IQ180 to save some money.  That said, both are amazing backs, and I'm thrilled with the results that I've been able to achieve with both of them.

I don't have any experience with the IQ160 or IQ260.  I do use the IQ280 often with an Alpa TC and a Rodenstock Alpagon 23mm f/5.6 a lot.  Even without a center filter, the sharpness of that lens/back combo with the Alpa back adapter properly shimmed is nothing short of jaw-dropping.  Granted, the TC doesn't have movements, and the Rodie 23mm doesn't work with the Alpa tilt adapter (IIRC) and has a small-enough image circle that not much shift would be possible with the IQ280.  So, unfortunately I can't add anything to the excellent summary Paul gave of the issues of using the Phase backs on technical cameras with movements.  I can say that the 280/Alpa TC/Rodenstock 23mm trio is a very lightweight kit to take with you into the field, and depending on what your subject matter is, can yield great results.  That obviously is a highly subjective point of view.  :-)

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 01:49:28 pm »

But Wifi has been a positive improvement for me. I was at first not impressed by the 260's wifi, however I have become rather attached to it.  There are a lot of times when shooting with the tech camera setup, where I just don't want to bend down to check everything on the LCD, i.e. focus, exposure.  Many of my setups will end up having me in the tripod low down or on in a position where bending over to check the LCD is a bit of pain.  This happens a bit more as you get order it seems.   The iPad is not that heavy, and you can actually get a better view with the Mini (non retina) and the mini is feather weight. 

Is sending pictures via wifi live? I mean does it acts as live view on back own LCD or you can just check the pictures via wifi that you have already taken?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up